Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by krizzy
Its very humid here.....we also have a lot of pine trees around...I was told there is acid in the pine needles...which can kill off grass and flowers...
We've got several very large pine trees...don't have a problem with the grass.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:07 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
Like this? Perhaps something expats everywhere should learn.
for someone who moans about people making ignorant generalisations you come more than close to making a few yourself
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
for someone who moans about people making ignorant generalisations you come more than close to making a few yourself
If you are going to quote someone, it might be more honest if you quoted in context.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:38 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
Mine was the sweeping off the floor...one good thing about that being...I could lose the stone and no-one would ever notice...
My wife's is a bunch of tiny stones, little diamonds and emeralds mixed up in a white gold ring as she doesn't like yellow gold. I couldn't afford much, I was 22 years old and working as a janitor when we married. The stones kept falling out and we kept having them replaced. Eventually there was so much solder on the prongs holding the tiny stones in that you can now see more solder than stone. Last year I asked her if she would like a new one as I can afford a (slightly!) better one now, maybe a single stone that's big enough to see anyway. She said even as it is, the ring means more to her than any other ever could and she didn't want another one.

So I used the money to buy a cutting torch instead.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:40 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
My wife's is a bunch of tiny stones, little diamonds and emeralds mixed up in a white gold ring as she doesn't like yellow gold. I couldn't afford much, I was 22 years old and working as a janitor when we married. The stones kept falling out and we kept having them replaced. Eventually there was so much solder on the prongs holding the tiny stones in that you can now see more solder than stone. Last year I asked her if she would like a new one as I can afford a (slightly!) better one now, maybe a single stone that's big enough to see anyway. She said even as it is, the ring means more to her than any other ever could and she didn't want another one.

aw thats so sweet and I so agree with her

Then I read your last line you rascal
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

that's so nice of your wife and wtf is a cutting torch?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
must be the area you live in coz they are really are huge here...
That's because it's Texas!

BTW, I remembered that a guy I know on another board lives in Conroe. But he calls it Cornhole.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess he means an 0xyacetylene Torch.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

That's because it's Texas!

BTW, I remembered that a guy I know on another board lives in Conroe. But he calls it Cornhole.
there's a newbie on here called lanky and he lives in conroe, wonder if it's the same guy coz not many brits live way out there i don't think - no one in their right mind would live out there why call it cornhole, did you ask him?
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would guess he means an 0xyacetylene Torch.
oh right and have you just swallowed the dictionary
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

oh right and have you just swallowed the dictionary

I suppose I should have added....one of those torches that cuts through metal.
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

A torch that uses a combination of gasses (mine uses propane and oxygen) to cut steel.

Looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome-heat_welding_torch.jpg  
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

A torch that uses a combination of gasses (mine uses propane and oxygen) to cut steel.

Looks like this:
oh right tks, well i wont be rushing out to buy one of them in a hurry
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

I suppose I should have added....one of those torches that cuts through metal.
oh right and you knew that all along, didn't google it
Old Aug 16th 2007, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

oh right tks, well i wont be rushing out to buy one of them in a hurry
Why not? Every home should have one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.