British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/homesickness-grass-greener-syndrome-474056/)

lanky spoken here Aug 14th 2007 4:29 pm

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

I have been in USA for 3 years now, and enjoy living in the US very much.

It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it :), but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.

BigDavyG Aug 14th 2007 5:02 pm

Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here (Post 5188166)
It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.

More relaxing way of life ??
Presumably that's because you have more cash.

elfman Aug 14th 2007 5:14 pm

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

:confused:
what are you not paying for that everyone else is?

Jerseygirl Aug 14th 2007 5:16 pm

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it :), but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.

You wouldn't get much for $200K in the NE. Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.

lisag8070 Aug 14th 2007 5:18 pm

I can agree with mostly everything you say, USA is cheaper but unfortunately so are the wages, I've been a pa and executive secretary for over 15 yrs and I can only earn about $12 an hour here, which may not be bad but I convert that to pounds and thats only 6-7 quid per hour!. I was earning more than that when I was 18, and after I paid after school day care it wouldn't leave me enough to cover the mortgage.
Mind you all of the above would be great if I wasn't on a H4 visa...

southern comfort Aug 14th 2007 5:19 pm

Good for you.......but expect some negative replies :(

lisag8070 Aug 14th 2007 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 5188337)
You wouldn't get much for $200K in the NE. Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.

Wow really, in what way, sorry just curious as this seems surreal.

Mind you saying that, if I sat down and added up all the countless bills that seem to be arriving I think we'd be in the same boat..I think I'll add up all my bills for a normal month (not inc car repairs or maintenance) and see what I come up with..

lisag8070 Aug 14th 2007 5:23 pm

P.S. Glad to know your doing good and have found your perfect place..

TruBrit Aug 14th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG (Post 5188278)
More relaxing way of life ??
Presumably that's because you have more cash.

you said it in a nutshell BDG.

btw i'm pleased you are enjoying rural texas lanky....:)

TruBrit Aug 14th 2007 5:25 pm

Our overall costs are much higher than they were in the UK.

same here.

southern comfort Aug 14th 2007 5:28 pm

I would think that depends on a lot of things ...area.....size of home....what one does for a living...etc

southern comfort Aug 14th 2007 5:30 pm

Does "rural" mean out in the countryside like in the UK ? must be lovely then:thumbup:

Bob Aug 14th 2007 5:32 pm

I envy you, but then you don't have to have worry about house payments, which is nice.

It's not because I dislike the place, but you can't get a place for less than $350K for a closet in this area, $650K+ for a proper home, taxes are stupid, and I'm more skint living here than back in blighty with more income, and we don't go out at all, or afford to have any holidays and the donkey of a car is on its last legs, and thats just the one. It's not like I'm on an entirely crap income either, well compared to others in my industry in the area its a bit featherly.

Jerseygirl Aug 14th 2007 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 5188384)
I would think that depends on a lot of things ...area.....size of home....what one does for a living...etc

Husband had same job...a slightly larger house made of plastic and wood instead of brick.

Bob Aug 14th 2007 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by southern comfort (Post 5188384)

generally, but around here, you wouldn't find shit for less regardless of your social status, even the special low income reserved housing around here is $250K