Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heating bills

Heating bills

Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:04 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating bills

Originally Posted by Ray
The A/C was too much of a currant draw .. their lights kept dimming ..
Have you considered selling him a generator?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

When I heard that my gas bill (heat/hot water) was going to jump 52% this winter I almost had a heart attack! Then someone told me to go to my gas company website and see what payment options were available. I did, in October, and locked in my decatherm price at 8.36 until October of 2006. If I didn't have the lock-in price I'd be paying 12.5 per decatherm. A slight down side is that the decatherm price doesn't change during the summer months - but since I use electric for a/c I don't think it'll matter much. It's not a huge savings, but I'm glad I did it. Maybe there are similar options in other states?
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I thought it was bollox too, but I really don't like having to wait for it to cool down/heat up when we get home. I always like it hot, but when it's 130 degrees in here, it's a bit much!
You need one of the timer thermostats that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I have mine set to cool or heat the house from an hour before I expect to get home, and the house has always been at a comfortable temperature when I arrive. Of course I have it set to ensure that the temperature doesn't get absurdly hot or cold when I am out/ asleep - I have it set to 56ºF minimum and 85ºF max.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:11 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need one of the timer thermostats that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I have mine set to cool or heat the house from an hour before I expect to get home, and the house has always been at a comfortable temperature when I arrive. Of course I have it set to ensure that the temperature doesn't get absurdly hot or cold when I am out/ asleep - I have it set to 56ºF minimum and 85ºF max.
That's probably something we'll invest in when we buy a house, but not right now as this is a rented apartment. The house we buy could have one already. Thanx for the advice.