Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heating bills

Heating bills

Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating bills

Originally Posted by Lottie
If it gets that bad I think we'll just switch the heating off altogether
or the TV
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:38 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

My goodness I thought we paid a high price I have oil just put in 150 gallons over 400$$ we keep it down at 60 all day and night so it lasts and live off a little electric fire we got from home depot, but now Conn light company is going to bump us up 22% I think it is time fort the quilts to take residence in the living room... my windows are useless we have covered them in plastic and every doorway has a curtain keeping out the drafts... every year we find a new draft hahaha I miss Central heating instead we have this silly thermostat on the wall that just displays whatever temp it feels like. Electric bill used to be $35 a month 6 years ago now its $159 and about to jump again.. but I guess it pays to live in 1200 sq ft
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
but I guess it pays to live in 1200 sq ft
You live in the garage ...wow !!!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:50 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

yeah but its cheap hahaha !!

considering the size of houses in this state I wouldn't even say it was a shed...
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

We must be lucky now living in military base housing, judging by what some of you have to pay, we have free electric
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:24 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Our December bill was $217 for gas, which is just a bit higher than it was last year, but then it was much colder last year in Virginia. We have a 1500 sqft house built in the 1950s, so not as efficient as newer houses although hubby has been adding some insulation. We keep the temperature down in the 50s at night, but at about 64 in the day. I guess if it gets much more expensive, we'll be piling on the sweaters and blankets!!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:30 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I found running a cable to my neighbour garden outlet has
reduced my bill by 35%
Just 35%, eh? I would have thought that about 80 - 90% was possible. Should get it installed professionally next time.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Just 35%, eh? I would have thought that about 80 - 90% was possible. Should get it installed professionally next time.
The A/C was too much of a currant draw .. their lights kept dimming ..
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:20 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I heard it was best not to drop it too much if you are only going to be out a little while because it would have to work harder overall than if you'd just have left it. I do turn it right down or off if I'm going away for a day/week or longer. Our apartment is really dark (not many windows), but I only have the bare minimum of lights on.
I think this is a myth

To the best of my knowledge HVAC units raise or lower incoming air by a certain fixed temperature, based on the ambient temperature

if you leave the house empty with the air off, then it will take a while to get it up to normal temp, but will not need to 'work harder' per se

I personally think that if you are going away its worth keeping the heating off (as long as its not so cold your pipes freeze)

unfortunately I live in a draughty old house with 100 year old windows so the gas bill I got on saturday came to $460

NOT HAPPY
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:56 pm
Notts - CT

[QUOTE=BritGuyTN]I think this is a myth

To the best of my knowledge HVAC units raise or lower incoming air by a certain fixed temperature, based on the ambient temperature

if you leave the house empty with the air off, then it will take a while to get it up to normal temp, but will not need to 'work harder' per se

I personally think that if you are going away its worth keeping the heating off (as long as its not so cold your pipes freeze)

unfortunately I live in a draughty old house with 100 year old windows so the gas bill I got on saturday came to $460

BUILDING A HOUSE OUT OF WOOD IS REALLY A INEXPENSIVE JOKE I THINK WE NEED TO TEACH THEM ABOUT BRICK AND NOT WOOD WITH HALF BRICK STUCK ON THE FRONT..HAHAHA
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
I know, makes no sense to me either. In our house it's warm in the basement, cold on the ground floor and warm-ish on the 1st floor. Guess I should buy some stock in PECO!
Isn't the ground floor, the first floor? Or do you consider that the lobby?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think this is a myth
I concur.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:45 pm
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice

For me it is much cheaper to heat the house in winter than it is to cool it in summer. Last month I was $77 for Electric and $78 for Gas, in August I was $250 for electric and $20 for gas

One bit of advice if you are getting a programmable thermistat is to get one that can automatically switch between heating and cooling, especiaaly handy if you live in an area that you need to run the heating in the morning and the A/C in the afternoon/evening.

Last edited by sas; Jan 15th 2006 at 10:48 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:49 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Isn't the ground floor, the first floor? Or do you consider that the lobby?
2 great nations, divided by a single language, in the UK the ground floor is the one on the ground, the first floor is up the stairs, the basement is the one below ground. It confuses me
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:02 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
I think this is a myth

NOT HAPPY
I thought it was bollox too, but I really don't like having to wait for it to cool down/heat up when we get home. I always like it hot, but when it's 130 degrees in here, it's a bit much!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.