Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heating bills

Heating bills

Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Heating bills

OMG - just got our first Winter heating bill through. It jumped by $200 in December to $350.

Wondered if anyone had any cost cutting tips for us (apart from putting more clothes on :-). We have the thermostat set to 72 degrees (still too chilly for me) when we are in the house and then at 60 degrees when we're out. We've been using the gas fire a lot so hubby has decreed that will stop.

Colleagues all seem to have their heating set at 68 degrees when they are in the house, and then at 62 degree's when they're out. They seem to think the big differential - 12 degree's (72 to 60) may also be costing us more money
Old Jan 14th 2006, 12:58 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heating bills

Originally Posted by Lottie
OMG - just got our first Winter heating bill through. It jumped by $200 in December to $350.

Wondered if anyone had any cost cutting tips for us (apart from putting more clothes on :-). We have the thermostat set to 72 degrees (still too chilly for me) when we are in the house and then at 60 degrees when we're out. We've been using the gas fire a lot so hubby has decreed that will stop.

Colleagues all seem to have their heating set at 68 degrees when they are in the house, and then at 62 degree's when they're out. They seem to think the big differential - 12 degree's (72 to 60) may also be costing us more money
Ouch, sore subject around here, I was trying to re-programme the bloody control panel last night, time to break out the long Johns
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Ouch, sore subject around here, I was trying to re-programme the bloody control panel last night, time to break out the long Johns
We were talking about this at work and it seems that most people have their houses pretty chilly out here...such a contrast to the UK where our house's are toasty warm in Winter.

Mind you, quite ridiculous really, it's only because I've got used to central heating - and we only got that at home when I was 14 and then when I went off to Uni I lived in student accomodation for a good 6 years without it.

Guess we'll get used to it - can't bear to part with $350 again next month!!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:03 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I'll give it an hour before a Florida expat posts, "What's a heating bill?"
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I'll give it an hour before a Florida expat posts, "What's a heating bill?"
you beat me to it.... we have our air con on about 99% of the time... set to around 75
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by USBound
you beat me to it.... we have our air con on about 99% of the time... set to around 75
Bollocks
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:19 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

well I'm in Texas and right now my heat is on at 75... and I'm wearing a cardi... I haven't seen the bill yet but it's got to be lower than our Summer bills :scared:
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bugger's aren't they!!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:21 am

Bugger's aren't they!!
Told ya
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
well I'm in Texas and right now my heat is on at 75... and I'm wearing a cardi... I haven't seen the bill yet but it's got to be lower than our Summer bills :scared:

So how much are you paying for ac in summer??
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:26 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

So how much are you paying for ac in summer??
just over $250 but it's a 3 bedroom one story...larger houses larger bills.....and we were still hot!!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
just over $250 but it's a 3 bedroom one story...larger houses larger bills.....and we were still hot!!

Holy cow!! We are in a 3 bedroomed house but it's two storey with a basement too. Actually I think we're going to start living in the basement, it's cool in Summer and warm in Winter.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:33 am

Holy cow!! We are in a 3 bedroomed house but it's two storey with a basement too. Actually I think we're going to start living in the basement, it's cool in Summer and warm in Winter.
Ummm, thats because your furnace is in the Basement, it's leaking hot air
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Ummm, thats because your furnace is in the Basement, it's leaking hot air
Wish it would leak it upstiars instead
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:36 am

Wish it would leak it upstiars instead
We have the same problem, hot basement, warm ground floor, cold 1st floor (that's British ground/1st)

Last edited by gruffbrown; Jan 14th 2006 at 1:41 am. Reason: Doh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.