Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Heating bills

Heating bills

Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Heating bills

Originally Posted by mandpete
Our bill for December was $390.00 and it wasn't a particularly cold month, I am dreading the February one.
I know, that's why hubby and I are so freaked!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For what it's worth, I think that your house may need more insulation, and/or your heating unit should be replaced for something more efficient and modern.

It's a new house

Agree probably need to investigate how much insulation we have though - thanks for the tip.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lottie
I'm betting Gruffbrown and I can top this in January

In hindsight we were having the kitchen ripped out (power tools etc) and it stayed above 100f for 5 weeks :scared: sorry its an air-con bill not this "heating" thing you talk of
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Biggest electricity bill last year was $650 for one month. This is for a 3800 sq.ft house with a pool and separate office. Water heating and cooker are gas.
I had solar screens put on all the windows last month and I am investing in more attic insulation so I'll be interested to see what happens this year. I also moved the upstairs thermostat as the pinheads who built the house put it on the landing, where there is one small A/C vent, and all the hot air from downstairs rises to. Of course the rooms upstairs were freezing.
Finally TXU energy have put up their prices by 25%, so probably any savings I might have made are already blown by the higher prices, grrr.
I still think there is something wrong with the electricity consumption, as our middle of the night constant consumption is around 600W. I have a 120G marine reef tank that takes about 300W of that, but I have no idea where the other 300W is going.... I have built my own power monitoring system to try an understand where it is going and am in the 24/7 monitoring phase right now...

- Tim
Freakin' 'eck!!!!

An acquaintance lives in an 8000 sq ft mansino and his bill is only around $700/month.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I challenge anyone to beat $400 for one month (last September) :scared: Although our December leccy bill was $250 probably due to the huge amount of lights I hung on the house this xmas

We used to beat that every month in the summer when we lived in a 3000sq footer- our bills were between $440-$480 (4 years ago). We've just moved into a 2800sq ft so will be interested to see how we fare this Summer- our bills so far have been $190 (with the A/c off)..ho hum.

Talking of British houses does anyone find it too hot in UK now in the Winter. Everyone cranks their heating up thinking that I would be freezing after living in Florida so long...it kills me, but even when they turn the thing back down I'm constantly going outside to cool off. I'm the only one in Stores who's carrying my coat- I'm not used to central heating anymore.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:31 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcapulet
I thought our $140 heating bill last year was bad...$400?!? We're just in a one BR apt though.

We found some of our windows are definitely not air-tight...don't know how much that affects the heating bill, but any warm air that leaks counts!
We're in a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment, but it's the size of a 3 bedroom house in the UK, our windows are only single pane & leak too. The highest our bill has ever been is $120 a month & that was in the summer, because the AC has to be on constantly. I have the on peak (9am - 9pm)/off peak (9pm - 9am) plan. I only use the dishwasher, washing machine & dryer in off peak times. I have the thermostat on about 79 degrees during off peak & 75 on peak.

I heard it was best not to drop it too much if you are only going to be out a little while because it would have to work harder overall than if you'd just have left it. I do turn it right down or off if I'm going away for a day/week or longer. Our apartment is really dark (not many windows), but I only have the bare minimum of lights on.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:33 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie
I'm betting Gruffbrown and I can top this in January
'The great one' did mention $600 but that's for electricity as well
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:49 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add, our bill is $80 on average, we just have electric too, nothing is gas.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:55 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik
What thermostat do you use to have such good flexibility? We're just buying a house in NE and I want to be able to set the temperature at different times like that. .....
Lowes / Home Depot sell a Honeywell thermostat that has full seven day programability - it allows each day to be different, and you have four "periods" to play with marked by wake, leave, return, sleep. It heats/ cools to the temperature you choose between each of the set four times. ...

It costs around $80-$90, but is well worth it - last winter I was letting the temperature in the house fall over night, and then had to get up in a cold house to turn the heat on ..... and headed back to bed for 20 minutes while the house warmed up.

It is also smart enough to come on early if the ambent temperature is far below/ above the programmed temperature. E.g. if you set it to 65ºF for 6.30am, then you will find that it comes on at 6am if the temperature is down in the 50ºs. I've not quite fathomed out what the rules are for that, and it isn't mentioned in the manual.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:58 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I have the on peak (9am - 9pm)/off peak (9pm - 9am) plan. I only use the dishwasher, washing machine & dryer in off peak times. I have the thermostat on about 79 degrees during off peak & 75 on peak.
I've never heard of an off peak /on peak plan
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I've never heard of an off peak /on peak plan
There are times when its a lower peak/higher peak during the day to run your appliances, i.e. dishwasher, washer, etc. I can't remember exactly when it was ......I'm sure I used to know when I lived in the US previously.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Biggest electricity bill last year was $650 for one month.
:scared: :scared: <thump>
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I found running a cable to my neighbour garden outlet has
reduced my bill by 35%
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

There was one day last week when I had to have the heating on over night (it does happen) and then at about 9am had to switch it over to A/C as it had got to 80f in the house with the sun streaming in.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
'The great one' did mention $600 but that's for electricity as well
If it gets that bad I think we'll just switch the heating off altogether

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.