Guns?

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:11 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guns?

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
I got a nasty papercut once when a colleague ran past me with a poster, does that count?

Did he have criminal intent?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:13 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
US: 8259 intentional homicides with a firearm
UK: 62

EDIT: per capita the UK shows 0.00, whereas the US is 0.03. don't know what population estimates they are using though.
Rough? US is six times the population of the UK, meaning that you'd predict 378 gun deaths in the UK if the same population as the US. Instead there's more like *25* times that.
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The poster was about how we should all strive to be leaders in the workplace - so yes i would say he did!
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

He doesn't need to in FL. Just a dangerous piece of paper in your position will result in me using the stand your ground law.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Personally I think the gun issue is overrated. Gang problems are far worse.
A view that I think everyone agrees on.

However, where people seem to differ is how to deal with the problem. There are those who would like to see preventative action to help stop children joining gangs in the first place, and there are those who want reactionary solutions such as tougher policing and sentencing. Unfortunately, as gang violence tends to be isolated within poor communities with a tradition of not voting, it is unlikely that any government soon will try thinking of any solutions.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:14 pm
ImHere

I have heard this is the main reason why people have a gun in their homes.
I don't want to sound funny (i am honestly interested in your reply) but do you think you would have the chance to shoot first if you were attacked in your bed?
I know if i was woken from sleep even if i had a loaded gun under my pillow i'm sure they would get me first and in my groggy state i would be more likely to shoot the cat rather than an attacker!

If I was attacked in my bed it would be highly unlikely I would be able to and I certainly wouldnt even attempt to get my gun in that state. Although its equally unlikely that I would be attacked in my bed without the house alarm being triggered. Being sleepy and holding a gun are not a good combination. But then let me put it another way, I, unlike many I know, wouldnt go quietly and expect there to be happy ending if I just let them take what they want. I guess we are all different.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:16 pm
Lapine Member

He doesn't need to in FL. Just a dangerous piece of paper in your position will result in me using the stand your ground law.
Dangerous piece of paper in my possession? What, a child support order?
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:17 pm
ImHere

Ah that chestnut. You do realise this law doesnt actually change the legalities of self defence? It just clarifies what is already in the law. You still must be in immediate fear of your or a third parties loss of life of great bodily harm to be justified in shooting. If the cops turned up and you'd just shot someone who wasnt about to kill you or seriously hurt you, you are going to jail.

Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Dangerous piece of paper in my possession? What, a child support order?
I propose we wrap the edges of all sheets of paper in rubber. All those in favour say Supercalifragilisticexpialidociouss.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ImHere
Ah that chestnut. You do realise this law doesnt actually change the legalities of self defence? It just clarifies what is already in the law. You still must be in immediate fear of your or a third parties loss of life of great bodily harm to be justified in shooting. If the cops turned up and you'd just shot someone who wasnt about to kill you or seriously hurt you, you are going to jail.
Don't do this again... please for the love of God!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:21 pm
Lapine Member

I propose we wrap the edges of all sheets of paper in rubber. All those in favour say Supercalifragilisticexpialidociouss.
Another workplace safety law?

Going to be a tough job retrofitting the computer printers to handle that paper.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

ScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really niceScyLarc is just really nice

But then let me put it another way, I, unlike many I know, wouldnt go quietly and expect there to be happy ending if I just let them take what they want. I guess we are all different.
I have to admit my husband and i have discussed what we would do if for example someone with a knife or a gun tried to force us into a car. We both agree there is no way we are getting into that car, we would fight as hard as we could. Despite this my gut feeling is still that i will never have a gun, i just feel by having one i am adding to cycle of violence in the world. Idealistic i know, maybe in 5 years i will have changed my mind but i hope not.
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
action to help stop children joining gangs in the first place,
It's also a very sad state of affairs when your child comes home from middle school and tells you that he isn't allowed to take any kind of bag into school for the last day ... this being because fights with weapons are apparently commonplace on the very last day of school!
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Unless it's the police doing the shooting! Then it doesn't matter if the victim was about to kill or seriously hurt anyone or not.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:23 pm
Lapine Member

I have to admit my husband and i have discussed what we would do if for example someone with a knife or a gun tried to force us into a car. We both agree there is no way we are getting into that car, we would fight as hard as we could. Despite this my gut feeling is still that i will never have a gun, i just feel by having one i am adding to cycle of violence in the world. Idealistic i know, maybe in 5 years i will have changed my mind but i hope not.
Throw the keys as far as you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.