Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Old Dec 15th 2007, 3:58 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

i spent a year in germany when i was younger and took some 'german as a foreign language classes'. One of the other foreign girls asked me in the class if i could help her write a letter to an american. I started to help her but when she found out i was english - wouldnt let me help as she decided it wouldnt be understandable. I tried to explain that they dont have american classes in american school - they have english classes but the ship had already sailed!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

I am Australian and was constantly asked in the US if I was
a) from England
b) from Boston (wtf?).

I also got the old "does the water really go down the drain the other way in Arsetrayleea?"

and frequent questions about Thanksgiving, Halloween and 4th of July.

The best was when a cab driver in Baltimore asked me what language we speak in Australia. I said "Australian, but I have been taking English for a long time at school".
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:28 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by augigi
I am Australian and was constantly asked in the US if I was
a) from England
b) from Boston (wtf?).

I also got the old "does the water really go down the drain the other way in Arsetrayleea?"

and frequent questions about Thanksgiving, Halloween and 4th of July.

The best was when a cab driver in Baltimore asked me what language we speak in Australia. I said "Australian, but I have been taking English for a long time at school".
Ya Here’s where every thing goes wrong.
BALTIMORE!!!!.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:30 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Do you have cockroaches in England? (random!!!)

I have also had the Thanksgiving thing a number of times, but I have a very smart labmate here who quickly puts everyone straight regarding US (and UK) history.

Originally Posted by hatfield1
Ya Here’s where every thing goes wrong.
BALTIMORE!!!!.
We've seen pics of you with your mate Eric
Old Dec 15th 2007, 5:38 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlippie

We've seen pics of you with your mate Eric
Thus the wrong part…
Old Dec 18th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Peacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nice

I am always mistaken for an Aussi, Irish, German or Polish. I am constantly asked if im from London, seems most of the folk ive met havent heard of anywhere else or just make the assumption even though i sound nothing like a Londoner....but bizzarley I have been asked when I have told them im from England if England is in London....!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:55 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Yep - I've had "Do you have Christmas in England"....

Do you have McDonald's in England

Is it always foggy in England

etc etc etc
I have been asked the christmas one and when I said "Yes", I was asked if it was on the same day.

I have had the dog one as well...."Does your dog understand American dogs?"
That one made me think....do the dogs here have an american twang to their bark? They might..we'll never know.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

This doesn't relate to being British, but a couple of weeks ago I was listening to presentations in a class. A few of the women presenting were from different countries originally, primarily Asian countries, but one gal appeared to be from Russia or thereabouts. Then another girl got up to speak, and was of Indian descent. "She doesn't have an accent at all!" my classmate said to me. "Uh, she was probably born here." I said.

Of course this is the same guy who asked one of my friends who is Ukranian if she was French.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Q: Why did the Queen build Windsor Castle right below Heathrow Airport's flight path?

Q2: Did it take you long to get used to driving on the right side of the road?

A: I practiced for three months before I came over!

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Dec 20th 2007 at 2:38 am.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:43 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
"Oh! You're ENGLISH! Tell me, what do you think of the Queen? Oh no, wait. She's Canadian, isn't she."

I was once asked if I knew Princess Diana and replied, "Of course I know her. We all do. England's a small place. She sometimes comes round to my house for tea on a Friday." Worse thing I could have done, because they believed me and told everyone else in the workplace, who also believed me, so then I had to explain that I was only joking
LMAO I have often been asked what part of Australia do I come from (and I am living in Canada). I think its the northern accent.

And it cuts both ways, My Mother in Law in the UK asked if we had shops in Canada. I said no just a trading post where people sell beaver pelts and stuff
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:55 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

".... do you want to get back together?"

Ummm; well, let me think about it for a while............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

I am crying laughing here.....makes me feel so much better to read a bit of British humoUr!

I have had a lot of the same questions.......

plus...

Do you have weathermen in England?

Are you swedish? (Must be my nordic blonde looks. Erm, except for my dark brown hair and eyes and southern English accent, eh?)

I have also found, as many have mentioned, that people think England is made up of London and two villages, one of which is Scotland.

I work in a coffee shop and its great, I meet LOADS of English people....

customer....oooh, I'm English too!
me: Really, where from?
Customer: well, my great great grandfather was french canadian, and my mother was one part irish, one part Native American and her second cousin came from Oregon, but her aunt is from Scotland, so you see......
me: er, did you want cream in that?

Hmmm..... Ruth x
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Q: You're from Liverpool???? Did you know any of the Beatles???

A: Yes, indeed I played the Triangle on "Twist & Shout."

Q: Oh, Really?

A: That's why I can afford to drive a Tour Bus, over here.

(I'm 41.......the Beatles were long gone, before I was born )

Jim.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 9:56 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck

customer....oooh, I'm English too!
me: Really, where from?
Customer: well, my great great grandfather was french canadian, and my mother was one part irish, one part Native American and her second cousin came from Oregon, but her aunt is from Scotland, so you see......
me: er, did you want cream in that?
Hmmm..... Ruth x
Thats the nail on the head alright!
The "English accent" being a bit flat and lifeless tends to slip under the radar whn you are in a crowd.
Now, Americans would sweep through a crowd, flinging people and horses aside to introduce themselves to each other and anyone else in earshot (blast radius).
Brits might be in the next restaurant booth and only (might) make eye contact if the floor cracked open and smoke rose up from hell.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:38 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
.... Brits might be in the next restaurant booth and only (might) make eye contact if the floor cracked open and smoke rose up from hell.
As Yanks flee the place an Englishman would cooly light up his Havana and chirp, "More wine?" ....

---

Last edited by britex01; Dec 20th 2007 at 11:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.