Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Wikiposts

Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:50 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

Originally Posted by rincewind
UPDATE:

...snip....

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad to hear you got the job and came back to the forum - didn't like the thought of a major Discworld character not coming back....
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:00 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Glad to hear you got the job and came back to the forum - didn't like the thought of a major Discworld character not coming back....
I just need to locate my luggage. He's wandered off again and I need to pack

Multi-legged bugger.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:01 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukemigrant
Speaking of which, why do American editions of Discworld books not have Josh Kirby's or Paul Kidby's artwork on the covers? I think the American audience are missing out big time (particularly on the Josh Kirby stuff. He was a genius).
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:12 pm
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE:

Well, after chasing up the job in Smyrna, I was told that they hadn't made a decision yet, so I thought, SCREW THEM!!!!

But then things took a funny turn this week.

Monday was finger print day again in South Carolina. Three hours there and three hours back. Was a nice trip but the roads were really boring and there were cops everywhere. Mainly on motor cycles and I thought I was stuck in an episode of CHiPs.

Ten minutes in the UCIS building and then headed home.

Get in and checked e-mails and there was an e-mail from another company I had applied for in Augusta, Ga. They wanted to know what my salary range was as they thought I was over qualified for the position and were scared I would ask too much. Who me????

Anyway, sent a reply with my range and within two minutes the phone rang. My range was too low, up it. Okay, how about......this???

Yep, come for an interview tomorrow at 1:00pm.

So, emptied my immigration documents from my lap top bag and stuffed it with resume and other related materials.

Next day, took another nice trip (even more boring roads) up to Augusta.

Interview went well and I clicked with the VP for IT (love those abbreviations) and she said I was perfect. Then sat down with one of the IT guys and we clicked as well. Everything went very well.

Left the office feeling pretty confident but a little skeptical after recent experiences.

Got home, sent a nice thank you e-mail to the VP for IT (those abbreviations again) and also let her know that if there is an issue with the background checks, I have a police report from the UK that proves I have nothing bad in the UK either incase there was a concern.

So went to sleep, woke up, installed some new music studio equipment today and then went to the liquor store.

Got back and there was a message for me on the answering machine to call the office. So I called them back.

They only offered me the job

So, as of today, I am finally employed.

There is still the background check hurdle to get over and I have been summoned to a drug screening on Friday (will Vodka and Red Bull be dangerous tonight????), but I will hopefully be starting on the 1st of August.

Finally, it's all fallen in to place. And boy, has it been a tough ride.

So, tonight I will be celebrating and then I will be house hunting for the move to the Augusta area.

I'm not sure if I'll be back on here permanently as I have a lot to do in the next month so my time is limited. I have a new album coming out (sorry about promoting it here), I have new music equipment to play around with and then we have the Green Card interview on the 25th. After things have settled down, I may be back to make a regular appearance.

Thanks to those that have sent me karma from this thread, I truly have become a karma whore at last, LOL.

Take care guys and see you after I get to Augusta.

YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats on getting the job
Old Jul 14th 2005, 3:25 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

There is one thing I have to say.

There may be some that have been through the stress of not finding a job and still trying and boy, I know what that's like.

It can get hell at times and my marriage has been tested to the limit. A place I never want to visit again.

But it worked out and it will work out for everyone.

It can get real dark at times and feel like you won't pull through, but believe me, when it does come together it makes everything worthwhile.

Remember your wives and husbands that stand by you while you search for employment. If they stick with you through the rough, show them how much you appreciate it. When you both make it through to the other side, there is nothing than can separate you.

So go give 'em a hug. Yes, now!!!

Old Jul 15th 2005, 2:17 am
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

There is one thing I have to say.

There may be some that have been through the stress of not finding a job and still trying and boy, I know what that's like.

It can get hell at times and my marriage has been tested to the limit. A place I never want to visit again.

But it worked out and it will work out for everyone.

It can get real dark at times and feel like you won't pull through, but believe me, when it does come together it makes everything worthwhile.

Remember your wives and husbands that stand by you while you search for employment. If they stick with you through the rough, show them how much you appreciate it. When you both make it through to the other side, there is nothing than can separate you.

So go give 'em a hug. Yes, now!!!

Well done, as one IT job hunter (of sorts - in my case i am planning for the inevitable) to another - congrats.

I did wonder how you were doing.

Cheers

Dufus
Old Jul 15th 2005, 7:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Finally!!! An interview. Wahoo!!!

I'm a bit late to the party (currently busy having tons of fun in London...), but just wanted to add my CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well done - you absolutely deserve it!

Elvira
Old Jul 16th 2005, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Well done mate! Congratulations and welcome back to the forum, thought you were gone for good....

Hope all goes well for the move to Augusta. I'm just packing myself for a move from WA back to North Carolina, so we're both in the same boat!

Keep in touch, and let us know how it all goes...
Old Jul 16th 2005, 5:09 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Hope all goes well for the move to Augusta. I'm just packing myself for a move from WA back to North Carolina, so we're both in the same boat!
It's weird. Moving is a kind of exciting sort of stress, lol.

We're looking forward to it. A new life in a new city. We can't wait to start looking at houses. We have an appointment to view about 7 on Wednesday hopefull we'll have something to sorted by the end of the day.

And then to packing :scared:

We can't wait to get relocated.
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

It's weird. Moving is a kind of exciting sort of stress, lol.

We're looking forward to it. A new life in a new city. We can't wait to start looking at houses. We have an appointment to view about 7 on Wednesday hopefull we'll have something to sorted by the end of the day.

And then to packing :scared:

We can't wait to get relocated.
Tell me about it, I'm up to my elbows in bubble wrap...every other time I've moved recently I've got someone else to do the packing, and this time I've decided to do it myself instead...I never knew I had so much crap!!

At least I don't have to pack my books up, I havent got round to unpacking them from the last move...a year ago!!!

This time I've got two weeks to do it. Mrs Vern and the mini-Verns have gone back to the UK while I get organized, after the last couple of years I thought I'd save them the trauma of moving.. once the container/van/horse and cart has gone with our stuff in it, I'm going to fulfill another of my great ambitions and drive across the US fromWA to NC...I must be mad, what the hell was I thinking!! :scared:
Old Jul 16th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

..and as you say, we''l be practically neighbours....you and Mrs Rincewind would be most welcome...

Have to find somewhere to live, first..
Old Jul 16th 2005, 10:57 pm
Thems the Vagaries

LuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond reputeLuTziE has a reputation beyond repute

Rincewind.

Just one word.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Life can always change for the better when you leat expect it.
Well done mate.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:50 am
You Are All Diseased

Had an e-mail from the company today to say that my background check and drug screening all came back good so I'm ready to start

Schedule at the moment is:

1) Wednesday: Looking at houses

2) Monday: AOS interview to get the GC sorted.

3) Tuesday/Wednesday: Moving

4) Monday 1st: Start work.

I think I need some caffeine tablets to get me through, lol.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:56 am
You Are All Diseased

I'm trying my best to return everyone's Karma. Let me know if any hits are blanks and I'll get you on the next list.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 7:25 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying my best to return everyone's Karma. Let me know if any hits are blanks and I'll get you on the next list.
Haven't said it yet and am probably the only one who hasn't but bloody well done Rince!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.