Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Originally Posted by DMKH
Well we've had many accounts of how people felt discriminated against on this thread on the basis of race. Flip the coin, take those stories and imagine that you were the perpetrator. From that perspective, imagine where you'd be more likely to get away with it.
I'm saying it's difficult to compare the US to the UK directly, it's better to compare one state to the UK.

But the short answer would be one of the Southern states.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

DMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to allDMKH is a name known to all

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm saying it's difficult to compare the US to the UK directly, it's better to compare one state to the UK.

But the short answer would be one of the Southern states.
thanks. the Jena 6 comes to mind.....
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
That is not what Affirmative Action achieves.The law is there to off set any bais' that exist in corporate America's hiring practises,institutions of higher learning and it does not guarentee a job or slot to minorities and women.Its puts in place incentives such as tax breaks that encourage Human Resouce offices to "consider" women and minorities .It also challenges irregular patterns in hiring practises that only advance the status quo to the exclusion of women and minorities.Meaning,if African Americans,women and Asians have applied for positions that were instead given to less qualified canidates who are apart of the status quo,the law puts the spot light on such tendencies.
AA perpetuates the "status quo" by encouraging racial division and unrest. The racial situation the US is a source of wealth and power for many individuals and it is in their best interest to keep things antagonistic. EEO is a big industry... True harmony will only be achieved by true equality which cannot happen while one race is favored over another. While the specter of AA looms over the workplace the sucessfull minorities will never get the respect they deserve, there will always be an asterisk next their name on the org chart.

Minorities can, and do, through hard work, determination and their own merit find success in the classroom and office. I think it's insulting and condescending to infer and even legislate otherwise.

Did you know that due to Asians high performance in Ivy league Universities,higher than whites,blacks and latinos,their numbers have exploded in attempting to gain admittance into America's best schools?If Universities were to grant admitance base solely to transcripts and high school GPA's,they would fill a greater number of slots to Asians that are currently given out to white students. Universities have the right to use guidelines to encourage a more balanced demographics.There are qualifying points that determine who is allowed admitance into Ivy league schools.For instance,a son/daughter of a past graduate is given extra qualifying points that go toward gaining entry into that school.If you live in a rural area out in the woods in the middle of no where,you are given extra points which is an advantage for applying for admitance that a kid living in a hugh city doesn't recieve.
I'm not sure what you're saying here... Are you saying we should limit Asians admittance into the Ivy League because they outperform whites? And I didn't know that about the "rural area in the woods" thing, I'll keep that in mind if my kids decide to attend college.

All this is done to promote the best inviroment for learning while including as many segments of the population possible.Did you know even though Asians out perform white,black and latino students in the class room,when they apply for positions in management at fortune500, they are not hired in numbers comparible to their achievements at university.Far from it, whites are still given preferrance and untill that bias ends I see no reason why Affirmative Action should be dismantled. Once you're offered a foot in the door its up to that individual to prove his/her merit.If you don't perform well in the job,Affirmative Action will not protect your employment status.Obviously the biggest Affirmative Action program in America has been the "Ole Boys network",,not to mention slavery.White men protecting each other's back passing wealth and access to wealth between one another to the exclusion of women and minorities.
Classroom performance has nothing to do with job performance and there are many factors to consider when hiring, including language and culture. What good is a guy with a 4.0gpa from Harvard if you can't understand what he's saying?

As far as networking, my place of employment has black only, and women only networking organizations that are linked to similar organizations at other large companies throughout the area. These organizations are extremely strong.

Many women who wanted to advance their financial prospects had to either sleep with the boss or marry into wealth.Barring those drastic options there was little chance women were able to make advances.Listen,the fact is people hearts can not be legislated by passing a law.This law was passed not to gain everyone's love,the law is in place so people's ability will be respected regardless whether if you like them because they look like you or share a similar political affiliation. Prior to Affirmative Action very few women were given the opportunity to break through glass ceilings in management positions not to mention in the boardroom.What amazes me is the obtus manner in which opponents of Affirmative Actions seem to ignore that there has to be a remedy to correct man made problems.What concrete step would you prefer to use to challenge unfair bias in hiring? Many countries,people and business' love the concept of monopolizing wealth and power unless they are the one being excluded.In america our government has a history of breaking up monopolies once they become too powerful such as AT&T telecommunications which had become a monster trying to gobble up all means of communication in the states.Same thing with Microsoft which has been sued and forced to end its unfair monopolizing practise in America and Europe.Why are some people shocked that ending supremecy of any kind would be challenged including White supremecy?
That's the problem, affirmative doesn't respect ability, it respects race. We already have a concrete step to challenge unfair hiring practices, there are laws against discrimination. You cannot not a hire a person due to their race, gender, age, weight or disability.

You can't end bias by using bias, and the attempt doesn't do anybody any favors.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 2:52 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

.If you live in a rural area out in the woods in the middle of no where,you are given extra points which is an advantage for applying for admitance that a kid living in a hugh city doesn't recieve.

Uh, I grew up in a rural area out in the middle of nowhere, where the predominant industry is logging and paper mills. I applied to three different colleges and was accepted to all three. It wasn't on the basis of where I lived, it was on the basis of receiving a good secondary education. My state has had the top SAT scores in the country in spite of being largely rural.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all

Hi PGtips, just floated past your post and thought I would stop to say I totally agree with you re the racism in England. My mother is half Japanese and I was bought up in a small country village where our family and another black family were the only families in a village of totally white people so you can imagine the comments. Worse for my mother because she has the typical Japanese looks, but does not really notice much in me.

I remember distinctly walking past the Savoy Hotel (a long time ago) where a copper was questioning a black man (who worked at the hotel) unnecessarily and I intervened and asked questions such as "why have you stopped this man" etc. He was interviewing this bloke down a dark alley. The copper did not really have an answer. On another occasion I was on a demonstration my friend (who was black) was dressed up in the costume of a monkey (don't ask it's a long animal-rights story!) and this policeman just took my breath away with his bigotted racism. He said things like "Oh sorry I did not realise you really were a monkey etc). And because he was being sarcastic and talking in a normal everyday voice it somehow made the chills run down my spine in a very icy manner. I stepped in there too. It's a truly hateful and nasty experience. Anyway at every opportunity I get I go on the radio live to repeat this story - people just don't know the half of it. All the best,
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:20 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Uh, I grew up in a rural area out in the middle of nowhere, where the predominant industry is logging and paper mills. I applied to three different colleges and was accepted to all three. It wasn't on the basis of where I lived, it was on the basis of receiving a good secondary education. My state has had the top SAT scores in the country in spite of being largely rural.
I thought kids from inner-city schools did receive an advantage in points (well a percentage of them).
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:54 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I thought kids from inner-city schools did receive an advantage in points (well a percentage of them).
I can't speak to that-what I did say was in reply to his statement of kids in
rural areas getting "extra" help.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

I can't speak to that-what I did say was in reply to his statement of kids in
rural areas getting "extra" help.
Yes I think he may have got it wrong.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:03 pm
Sursum corda

Irony is, it's the cities that have the museums and other venues of culture.......
Old Oct 5th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

What makes it worse that even after the Stephen Lawrence, incidence the Police, have not really changed that much.

I can tell you stories of my racism experiences but I got to the point in my life where I feel that one has to let it go and move on with ones life.

Just like PGtips, it hurts and knocks one confidence but I get back on the saddle and keeping aiming and moving towards my goals. I have worked in several places in the UK and some place are much more tolerant than others, people say they do not mean to bias, but five minutes after they say so, all the bigotry starts flowing out of their mouths.

Originally Posted by artemis
Hi PGtips, just floated past your post and thought I would stop to say I totally agree with you re the racism in England. My mother is half Japanese and I was bought up in a small country village where our family and another black family were the only families in a village of totally white people so you can imagine the comments. Worse for my mother because she has the typical Japanese looks, but does not really notice much in me.

I remember distinctly walking past the Savoy Hotel (a long time ago) where a copper was questioning a black man (who worked at the hotel) unnecessarily and I intervened and asked questions such as "why have you stopped this man" etc. He was interviewing this bloke down a dark alley. The copper did not really have an answer. On another occasion I was on a demonstration my friend (who was black) was dressed up in the costume of a monkey (don't ask it's a long animal-rights story!) and this policeman just took my breath away with his bigotted racism. He said things like "Oh sorry I did not realise you really were a monkey etc). And because he was being sarcastic and talking in a normal everyday voice it somehow made the chills run down my spine in a very icy manner. I stepped in there too. It's a truly hateful and nasty experience. Anyway at every opportunity I get I go on the radio live to repeat this story - people just don't know the half of it. All the best,
Old Oct 5th 2007, 7:02 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You can't end bias by using bias, and the attempt doesn't do anybody any favors.
The purpose of affirmative action is not to end bias. Its purpose is to transfer opportunity into the hands of those who have historically been denied it.

On a certain level, I couldn't care less if some dumb redneck resents a qualified black man, woman or whomever working alongside him. (I would reserve a few choice words for such a person, but as this is a family forum, I'll refrain...) The point is to give that other guy (or gal) a leg up, irrespective of how incredibly bigoted or stupid Mr./Ms. Redneck may be.

The key to success in this society is economic opportunity. In this culture, cash can buy you a lot of influence.

I myself am half-white. I experienced discrimination growing up here, although it is admittedly much better than it was (although I'm sure part of it comes from the fact that my white features are more evident as I have gotten older -- these days, many don't realize that I'm in an ethnic minority.) But some of the improvement comes from the fact that affluence transfer benefits that poverty does not.

To get people on equal footing, you first need to give them a shot at attaining equal footing. That's a lengthy, difficult process, but it has to begin somewhere, and the workplace is an obvious place to start.

Rather than allowing some insular country club mentality to forever perpetuate the transfer of power and wealth among a chosen few, there is a need to break down the system and force it in, even if it pisses off a few of the privileged. If anything, pissing off those pampered silver spoons seems to be an inevitable part of the process -- they resent the need to share with those who don't know the secret handshake -- so we may as well get busy and piss them off as much as possible.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:08 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you earned those opportunities that came your way like many of us who have worked very hard.There are qualifying points that universities use to guage who is given preference over other canidates into school.Admition offices don't have the class room space to grant everyone's application so they use guidelines that help them build a student body.They have been doing this for years and one of those qualifying points used to determine entry pertains to background and where you live.You can call up a University and ask them about their Admition's policy and maybe even get your hands on that blueprint that decides how many points you are awarded for being a Legend,for being not only a good student but work as a intern in your field of study ect ect ect.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 10:36 pm
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
AA perpetuates the "status quo" by encouraging racial division and unrest. The racial situation the US is a source of wealth and power for many individuals and it is in their best interest to keep things antagonistic. EEO is a big industry... True harmony will only be achieved by true equality which cannot happen while one race is favored over another. While the specter of AA looms over the workplace the sucessfull minorities will never get the respect they deserve, there will always be an asterisk next their name on the org chart.

Minorities can, and do, through hard work, determination and their own merit find success in the classroom and office. I think it's insulting and condescending to infer and even legislate otherwise.

I'm not sure what you're saying here... Are you saying we should limit Asians admittance into the Ivy League because they outperform whites? And I didn't know that about the "rural area in the woods" thing, I'll keep that in mind if my kids decide to attend college.

Classroom performance has nothing to do with job performance and there are many factors to consider when hiring, including language and culture. What good is a guy with a 4.0gpa from Harvard if you can't understand what he's saying?

As far as networking, my place of employment has black only, and women only networking organizations that are linked to similar organizations at other large companies throughout the area. These organizations are extremely strong.

That's the problem, affirmative doesn't respect ability, it respects race. We already have a concrete step to challenge unfair hiring practices, there are laws against discrimination. You cannot not a hire a person due to their race, gender, age, weight or disability.

Saying African Americans perpetuat the "status quo" is equal to believing that people who are targeted for racism should sit still and take the abuse.Those days are long gone in this country and those who pine for the day when AA's were less than power need to accept the fact that bigotry by racist will be anwsered with a swift and exacting response.Racial problems were not created by minorities in America but those who are foolish enough to engage in bigotry against minorities should be prepared to pay a price.Why some people struggle to evolve is beyond me!
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:06 pm
Account Closed

"I'm not sure what you're saying here... Are you saying we should limit Asians admittance into the Ivy League because they outperform whites? "

I believe there is some thinking along those lines in California.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 11:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sally
"I'm not sure what you're saying here... Are you saying we should limit Asians admittance into the Ivy League because they outperform whites? "

I believe there is some thinking along those lines in California.

Its allready happening at some colleges.Whites are the big losers in this equation because Asians are taking slots that would other wise go to whites.Many Caucasians are very angry they are being beaten out which is causing a backlash directed toward Asians.That is unfair! Why do I get the feeling the same people complaining about Affirmative Action also are against Asians because of their success at Universities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.