Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Old Oct 6th 2007, 7:10 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But they really haven't.

We were forced to do away with affirmative action oh, ten years ago, due to a lawsuit by white students who had higher test scores than a few black students, but the black students were admitted to the University of Texas Law School under affirmative action.

In one stroke all educational affirmative action was taken away. The numbers of minority students in both the undergraduate and graduate universities fell tremendously.

And the existing laws against discrimination in the workplace ARE NOT followed. I had one boss (NOT at my current job) tell me that he only hired women because HR forced him to do it. This same man was later sued by another woman claiming discrimination, and yet despite a pattern of these remarks, was cleared. As one of only a few women in this workplace, I was forced to testify to an EEOC officer behind closed doors, and even though no one knew what I said, AND the boss was cleared, AND I had no choice whether to testify, some of the guys treated me resentfully over the matter for years.
You are so right about the rule changes in reference to Universities.All is not lost.Many Universities and colleges will find a way around the conservative Supreme Court ruling and use a different standard to accomplish greater diversity in their student bodies.Currently the standard up for consideration pertain to geography.This will require more effort and money on the part of Universities because it envolves the locating of neighborhoods where minorities live.Really can't figure out why certain people are against society correcting social ills that were created by society.

University data prove that once given access to higher education minorities perform at the same level of their majority counter parts.Thankfully many colleges still use Affirmative Action to grow their student body but they do have to be more carefull how they institute their policies in order to avoid law suits.Schools that were against Affirmative Action from day one are more than likely to have the greatest drop off of minorities since the change in the law.Just another adjustment young people will work out when its all said and done.True is this law does not effect middle class and wealthy minorities and young women.Its the kids from under privilage homes that need the opportunity.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:05 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
This reminds me of a concept that is commonly known in hiring or interviewing (both for jobs, and for research - what I do) known as "similar to me" bias. The idea is that you are inherently drawn to people who are like you - whether this be in physical appearance, personality, age, gender, etc. There's a lot of truth to it. Perhaps you "click" with this person due to commonalities, or you see a bit of yourselves in them. For many, this is not a conscious means of selection.

In hiring this is risky because it can result in a homogenous workforce - and diversity of opinion can lead to innovation, and to a stronger organization. After all - if you are serving or selling to an entire population, but represent only a segment of that population - will you be as effective? I doubt it.

The old boys club is alive and well. Men often don't realize this - I've struggled to get my husband to understand it. It may be poker nights with the guys, playing golf during a work outing, talking sports at the watercooler. Am I saying this should cease? Not at all! But it's how networking takes place, relationships form, and rapport that results in career advancement can be born. It links back to the idea of "similar to me" bias that can squeeze out diversity, whether it be due to the color of one's skin, one's nationality, economic background, etc.

Affirmative action is an attempt to correct this. Is it perfect? I'm not saying it is - but I do think some sort of encouragement to employers, colleges, etc. to embrace the diversity of the larger populous is important. Without it, advances could perhaps be made, but at a much slower rate than they would be otherwise.

We're all guilty of "similar to me" bias. Think of your own experience for a moment. Do you favor someone because you have common interests with them? Because you share a style of dress? Political beliefs? Because they are British, or American, or from Australia? That doesn't make others less valid, I'm sure most of us would agree - but without programs to encourage diversity, homogeneous environments can be more comfortable, and things would continue as they were.

My husband and I had an eye-opening experience a few years ago. We were looking for something to do on a Saturday night, and spotted a club where music was playing. We were greeted at the door quite enthusiastically "So glad to see you, you are welcome here" we were told. I remember thinking, how odd, why wouldn't we be? Walking in - we were the only white people in the club. We were treated well, and listened to a wonderful jazz performer, and enjoyed ourselves. I remember feeling like I glowed in the dark - wishing my sweater had long sleeves so perhaps I wouldn't stick out so much. How crazy is that? It was a taste, albeit a small one in a friendly setting, of being a minority - something foreign to most of us.
Excellently put. If we had more people in manegarial positions like you, then maybe affirmative action would soon be a thing of the past.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You worked in a place full of dinosaur idiots.
The dinosaurs are very much alive in professions where women are in the minority. So many decisions are made when upper management and first-line workers are playing racquetball together, or at Dave and Busters, or in the restroom, and I can tell you that women aren't present.

When I'd work in the lab, where the guys were less likely to have a college degree, I faced even more discrimination until I proved that I could hold my own, crawl around under the floors even when 8 months pregnant, and solder. I did more of my own lab support than most of the guys did, but I had to do it to gain respect.

And with respect to Hopwood, the no-affirmative-action law:

http://academic.udayton.edu/thewhite...legaled11e.htm

Here at UT at the undergrad level, in a city that's fairly liberal, we have managed to retain minority students by privately funding scholarships that can take race into consideration. At A&M, which is a much more conservative university, the fall in undergraduate rates is much more pronounced.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:57 am
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

The dinosaurs are very much alive in professions where women are in the minority. So many decisions are made when upper management and first-line workers are playing racquetball together, or at Dave and Busters, or in the restroom, and I can tell you that women aren't present.

When I'd work in the lab, where the guys were less likely to have a college degree, I faced even more discrimination until I proved that I could hold my own, crawl around under the floors even when 8 months pregnant, and solder. I did more of my own lab support than most of the guys did, but I had to do it to gain respect.

Here at UT at the undergrad level, in a city that's fairly liberal, we have managed to retain minority students by privately funding scholarships that can take race into consideration. At A&M, which is a much more conservative university, the fall in undergraduate rates is much more pronounced.
Thank you for posting that link.Excellent read.To me its just another example why we as a society should do all that is possible to up lift every segment of the population.The goal of a greater educated population would only help this nation better compete in the world community.Many nations have the amazing idea of offering free education to all its citizens,only would we in America think this to be a bad idea.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
I can see both sides of the AA argument, but we don't unfortunately live in a true meritocracy. I'm sure everyone knows of people who got jobs etc by string-pulling rather than true merit.
Seems to me the problems start way before university.

I do feel sorry for small business owners who have to hire someone from a minority even if they're not as skilled just because they got their 10th employee (or a black owned company were forced to hire a white person for the same reason); or perhaps a small business owner hired someone who unknown to him was racist and then the company gets sued because of it, I know my employer paid out at least once because of that.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

You're absolutely right Snowbunny. Discrimination is alive and well in the workforce. I've seen older individuals who were fully qualified not hired because they didn't seem to fit the mold of the 25 year old whippersnapper that came into a company.

Just a few years ago someone was being hired to support me on an account. It turns out that due to some feedback I didn't agree with - the guy who I wanted for my staff wasn't able to be hired. I was essentially left with Candidate A and B, neither of whom I was very excited about. My boss kept talking about how Candidate A was the stronger choice, over and over. I thought about it that night and decided - I don't really have a preference, sure, she said some decent things in the interview and seemed enthusiastic, that will work.

The next day, suddenly he was all about Candidate B - who had been his last choice the day before. This didn't make any sense to me at all - and when we talked to HR and he promoted B, I kept saying - I don't get it - you were all for A yesterday, what changed overnight? Eventually he said too much. You see, A was pregnant and B was not - and he must have connected the fact that I was going to be out for my marriage/honeymoon at the same time that A would be out on maternity. "You can NOT use this as part of your selection process" HR said. "But I have a business need that she will not be there to fulfill" he said. "No, you can NOT use that as part of your criteria." she repeated.

In the end, the decision was left up to me - and because I felt that he was supporting B for the wrong reasons - I chose A. I'm sure she had no idea what was going on.

How often does that sort of thing (whether it be due to race, gender, sexual orientation, age, etc.) go on - and the hiring manager has a better filter with his words? Far more often than any of us realize I'm sure.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:20 pm
Banned

There are allways test cases sent before the Supreme Court challenging Affirmative Action,Roe vs Wade and any laws that are on the hit list of conservatives .They tried extremely hard with the help of this Bush Administration to reverse all Affirmative Action laws back in 2004.Their attempt was to strike down all laws protecting the rights of individuals(minorities,women,age discrimination ect ect) that pertain to the hiring and firing process,higher education enrollment, and any arena where past courts had tried to correct bias against segments of the population.The 2004 court ruling up held the Affirmative Action laws protecting people from unfair hiring practises in the work place and stated in the legal brief that the country had not yet moved far enough to the point where race,gender and age discrimination was sufficiently resolved .

The court felt more time would be needed to have these special measures in place to protect the rights of individuals .What surprise me was the fact the court felt comfortable in striking down Affirmative Action laws that police enrollment procedure in institution of higher learning at law schools and like programs. For some strange reason the court believe there had been enough proof presented to them that conditions had greatly improved and there was little chance striking down the law would harm that success.I think it safe to say the court was wrong on that judgement.IMO I think the court was trying to give both opposing sides of this law suit something to claim victory on.When you have that many conservatives on the court they are bound to have certain leanings regardless of what is morally right or wrong.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 4:26 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Seems to me the problems start way before university.
One of our friends at Birmingham Uni put his kid in for the local private school exam. She failed the exam, but was sitting near the daughter of one of the senior medics, who wrote nothing just cried throughout, however she got a place.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Vorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really niceVorsuc is just really nice

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I can't imagine a BNP type party ever being allowed to influence political power in American politics like it does in Great Britain in 2007.Just a couple years ago France experienced national race riots in most every large french city.Austria,Germany and Denmark have voted into office local and national leaders that would make jealous a KKK member. I'm aware the UK is more progressive than many European countries,yet you see very few faces of color in positions of power.

What does that say about ethnic diversity and it's acceptance by Europeans? Do you see mix ethnic couples in Europe as often as you would here in America?I've been told by brits that racism is pretty bad even in Australia on the other side of the globe. Hope you don't attack me for asking these questions.Just trying to understand if people in Europe are more socially accepting of "people" regardless of ethnicity compared to America.And I'm not talking about in the work place.I'm speaking in terms of breaking bread together,dating,attending church or place of worship,marriage and children.Has Europe turned that corner yet in their evolution?

Thank You
In the UK, Bernard Manning was a sign of a bygone time, an out dated era of racism viewed with much awkwardness and guilt at what is seen now as shockingly inappropriate behaviour.

Carlos Mencia on the other hand has a prime time show on Comedy Central re-hashing much of his late predecessor's ideas made more palatable by the 'I'm a latino, so I'm allowed to be a hate-fueled biggoted racist'.

I've only been here a couple of years but by FAR the biggest downer to living in the US is the rampant racism. That isn't to say it doesn't exist in Europe, or the UK specifically, but it is certainly not, as previously mentioned by other posters, as openly discussed.

I used to live in some of the more ethnically diverse regions of Manchester, from Rusholme (indian, pakistani, eastern european) to Whalley Range (african, carribean) and while racism was certainly rife it was more behind closed doors. People would have their prejudices and they'd be discussed around friends and family, but not openly.

Here in the US, most whites seem to assume that everyone else is on the same black/lantino hating bandwagon and will openly discuss their views. Perhaps this is just the south, but hearing friends comment during Katrina that they were going to load up their truck and head down the road to New Orleans to 'go shoot me some porch monkeys' is not something I think I'd ever experience back home.

I was also freaked out a little by signs of voluntary segregation, from there being a 'white' and a 'black' college as well as being told the mall I'd often frequent (as it was closer) was 'the black mall', while the whites would tend to visit the other mall a few miles down the road.

It breaks my heart to see this almost every day here and as I mentioned is easily the worst and hardest part about life here in the US.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:49 pm
Banned

I want to thank everyone for their willingness to open up and share their opinions,experiences about racism in America and Europe.It can be a cultural thing whether or not you feel comfortable to debate such subjects.I believe those of us born in America are more use to airing our national dirty laundry compared to the UK. I believe most Brits are taught to just get on with life and try to ignore/pretend the existance of racism.Its that stiff upper lip mentality that demands you sweep problems under the rug,and if you don't follow that mantra you might be considered a trouble maker and thus labeled for making a bad situation worse.I think bigotry should be challenge where ever it exist.It wasn't the members of the nazi party which gave rise to the third reight,it was the millions who kept quiet in the early stages that shoulder the majorty of blame because their life wasn't being directly affected.