Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Old Oct 4th 2007, 2:51 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS EUROPE MORE RACIST THAN AMERICA?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's not that much different in many parts of the US.
Do you know what it is like in Miami ?
We have some good friends who said we would do well across there.
I come from an IT and insurance background and my wife is a teacher.
We have friends who live in an area called 'Hollywood' in Miami' and that is where we will visit next in the States.

I was in New Jersey on holiday a couple of years ago and stayed in West Orange. Although the area seemed nice enough I never really felt at ease and the people there seemed a bit cold.

I was treated nicely by the shop attendants in Boston and also the customer service I recieved in Canada was brilliant. I was actually addressed as 'sir' on many occasions and was made to feel very special and they were so welcoming.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Seahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond reputeSeahorse3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
BNP types do heavily influence a party in America -- namely, the GOP!
I guess there is no fringe of the democratic party. There are no kooks or nuts just normal everyday people. NOT!!!!!
Your party is run by the fringe. The true democratic party was discarded years ago.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seahorse3
I guess there is no fringe of the democratic party. There are no kooks or nuts just normal everyday people. NOT!!!!!
Your party is run by the fringe. The true democratic party was discarded years ago.
As was the Republican party.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
All of a sudden we are swooped on by about 20 police officers, surrounded by their cars and vans, and told to get out of the vehicle and stand up against a wall with our hands in the air and our backs to them.
They then search through all our pockets, search the car, even removing a couple of panels.
Now this indignity is happening in front of hoardes of shoppers in one of the busiest streets in the world.
After they found nothing, they just said you can go now, NO APOLOGY !!! Just a note that they were looking for drugs.
Our crime, being young black men driving around in a nice car, well dressed and groomed. SO WE MUST BE DRUG DEALERS !!!!
Well I have the exact same scenario ..searched from head to foot ...
all because the PNC came back with a car ownership that did not match
the driver and passenger..actually quite good policing ...
and we were both white ....
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know what it is like in Miami ?
We have some good friends who said we would do well across there.
I come from an IT and insurance background and my wife is a teacher.
We have friends who live in an area called 'Hollywood' in Miami' and that is where we will visit next in the States.

I was in New Jersey on holiday a couple of years ago and stayed in West Orange. Although the area seemed nice enough I never really felt at ease and the people there seemed a bit cold.

I was treated nicely by the shop attendants in Boston and also the customer service I recieved in Canada was brilliant. I was actually addressed as 'sir' on many occasions and was made to feel very special and they were so welcoming.
That's where I live now; I'm not sure about Hollywood, that's further north. In Miami the people who emigrated here from South/Central America and the Caribbean have brought their prejudices with them, and they're more open about it. I'm not sure how that would be reflected in a workplace.

One thing's for sure, "up North" people are a lot friendlier than down here no matter what colour your skin may be. I wonder why people moan about the fake customer service they receive in the U.S., I'm practically begging for that in South Florida!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 3:52 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Well I have the exact same scenario ..searched from head to foot ...
all because the PNC came back with a car ownership that did not match
the driver and passenger..actually quite good policing ...
and we were both white ....
Not quite the same, our PNC on all occassions matched us but still we have to go through the rigmarole.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:08 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You have raised some good points, however until you are able to live in my skin you will never have a true appreciation of what it is like to be a black man in England, nor would I wish it on you.

As I said before sometimes the mental damage done is even worse than the physical damage.

Imagine after 20 years since I started driving my heart still times misses a beat if I see a police car behind me, because in the past that surely would have meant I was going to be stopped, maybe my car searched, and if I said the wrong thing could lead to me being taken down the station and getting a good kicking in !!! I don't think I have to spell out the amount of black men who have mysteriously died in police custody in the UK.

Imagine the indignity of being harassed by the police just for sitting in the car with your girlfriend one evening whilst having conversation outside her own house.

Police : Could you step out of the car
Me : Why
Police: We have just got notice that a car like this has been stolen in this area.
Me: If I had stolen it, why would I be sitting outside my girlfriends house in it for all to see.
Police: Can you prove it is yours ?
Me: Yes, and so can you just check it on your data base.
Police: What is your name:
Me: Give them my full name.
Police: Have you been drinking:
Me: No, But I am sitting in a stationary car outside my girlfriends house.
Police: Let us see you walk in a straight line
Me: I oblige
Police: What is your name again
Me: I saw you write it down already
Police: can you spell your name backwards

Girlfriend, screams at the top of her voice for all to here what do you think your playing at, what sort of police are you !!!

Me: very much on edge
Police: You can go now
Me: I was not going anywhere, just sitting peacefully outside my girlfreibnds house in my own car, paid with my hard earned money, minding my own business:

Another occasion

This time in one of Londons busiest shopping areas, Oxford Street.
My friend who works in accounts had treated himself to a newish car and had it nicely done up. So here we are suited and booted, fresh hair cuts, nice smelling after shave, young, handsome and successful, life could not be better................. or so you would think......

All of a sudden we are swooped on by about 20 police officers, surrounded by their cars and vans, and told to get out of the vehicle and stand up against a wall with our hands in the air and our backs to them.

They then search through all our pockets, search the car, even removing a couple of panels.

Now this indignity is happening in front of hoardes of shoppers in one of the busiest streets in the world.

After they found nothing, they just said you can go now, NO APOLOGY !!! Just a note that they were looking for drugs.

Our crime, being young black men driving around in a nice car, well dressed and groomed. SO WE MUST BE DRUG DEALERS !!!!

Lets move on to what it is like being a young black man in England.
You enter a shop and all the shop keepers eyes are on you, because they are convinced you are about to steal something, so you just have miserable shopping experiences !!!

Lets move on to whats its like being a young black man in England.
You are newly married and are ready to rent an apartment, you call the owner because it is local and arrange to meet him there in 30 minutes.
You get there early with your wife and ring the door bell.
The white owner takes one look at you and says the apartment is no longer for rent !!!

You go to view an apartment in Putney which is for sale.
The owner is keen to sell, you like the apartment so offer the full asking price and he accepts. Bingo, you are elated, finally on the property ladder oh so you thought !!! The next day the agent phones you and say's there is a problem, whilst viewing one of the other owners in the block saw us, and before any new person can move in the block it has to go through the tenants association. They told the owner, that they would block the sale to me, as they did not want that sort moving in.

I went to see the apartment after work in a smart suit, but as long as my face was black they would block the purchase.

Or what about when you turn up for the interview and as soon as you get that limp handshake you know you have not got the job, whatever your experience or qualifications.

Do you know what it feels like having to eat lunch alone, whilst other members of your team are giggling the lunch hour away on a separate table, or being wary of going to certain areas, unsure of weather you will be welcomed. It was not that long ago, that we were not welcomed at certain hotels and restaurants, and still some nightclubs are a no no.

I hope now you may see why I would not wish this on you, and believe me I have just touched the tip of the iceberg.

You question affirmative action, I recommend you read the story of Rosa Parks and Dr Martin Luther King jnr, and then after come back and tell me whether you still question affirmative action ?
PG - I can certainly appreciate (but I doubt fully) how painful it could be to be in your position, mostly of my family are quite racist (probably more xenophobic - they are equal opportunity haters of any "foreigners") and I have argued for years with them. On this website I have argued against the many bigoted comments that arise, to the extent where one delightful fellow was saying I must be a "paki" because I disagreed with his viewpoint.

This was a similar thread a year ago where I expressed some empathy for similar experiences to those you have mentioned.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post4132353

You list some of the slurs and bigotry you have experienced in the UK, my argument against positive discrimination is that it is exactly the same as the bigotry you have experienced, just against another group or groups.

I don't see any difference between stop and search laws directed at young black men and the state sanctioned racism of affirmative action. They are both using someones colour or ethnicity as a deciding point for something that has nothing to do with ethnicity.

One could say that, statistically, the average black male is more likely to commit a crime than, say, the average white female, but on the day, when the policemen are walking towards you, that should have no bearing on their stance - you deserve for them to be entirely blind when it comes to your colour. You are an individual, any other individuals who happen to be black and happen to be criminals should have no bearing whatsoever on you. This is the way I see it with affirmative action, people are individuals and the fact that a black person in Sussex has suffered racism shouldn't mean that a white person in Surrey should also suffer it at the hands of the state.

I am aware of Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, they struggled against racism and are heroes for it. I don't see however that creating another form of racism is going to both honor their memory or create a fairer society.

Don't think I am arguing that you haven't experienced racism or that it isn't still prevalent in most cultures (lets face it, racism and bigotry is not just a white on black deal but occurs in most countries to some extent). I just find it hard to understand how one combats historic racism by creating current racism.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
. I just find it hard to understand how one combats historic racism by creating current racism.

Come on Cape blue, you seem a very resonable person, but surely you must know how far set back black people were in America, in some states it was only 30-40 years ago when the situation was not much better than the apartheid system in South Africa.

White America has had hundreds of years to gather and accumulate wealth, sometimes quite brutally using slave labour. This wealth has been passed down the generations hence white America is leaps and bounds ahead of black folk. White America has inherited wealth, just as Britain has brutally inherited wealth, that is common knowledge.

If everybody started at a level playing field I would be the first to disagree with affirmative action, but that is not the case and I do not think it will happen in my generation, and my hope is that things improve for my sons.

If there was affirmative action in the UK, I have no doubt I would be leaps and bounds ahead of where I am now, but still, despite all the setbacks I have still managed to pull through somehow.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:29 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Cape blue, you seem a very resonable person, but surely you must know how far set back black people were in America, in some states it was only 30-40 years ago when the situation was not much better than the apartheid system in South Africa.

White America has had hundreds of years to gather and accumulate wealth, sometimes quite brutally using slave labour. This wealth has been passed down the generations hence white America is leaps and bounds ahead of black folk. White America has inherited wealth, just as Britain has brutally inherited wealth, that is common knowledge.

If everybody started at a level playing field I would be the first to disagree with affirmative action, but that is not the case and I do not think it will happen in my generation, and my hope is that things improve for my sons.

If there was affirmative action in the UK, I have no doubt I would be leaps and bounds ahead of where I am now, but still, despite all the setbacks I have still managed to pull through somehow.
PG, I agree that, on average, the black population in the US is not as far advanced (economically) as it would have been without the endemic racism of the past (& present). But if you think that there isn't a huge poor white trash population (or latino, etc) at the same level on the same playing field then you are wrong.

Today, the 4th October, affirmative action will look at two people of equally poor background and decide that one of them deserves advancement due to their color. Are you comfortable with that? Would you really want to sit there looking at two students applying to your university, both from similar backgrounds, both of whom have striven to get to where they are at, but you are not going to choose on merit, you are going to choose on ethnicity. The fact that their parents or grand parents had more of less opportunities doesn't matter a great deal to them, they are both starting at the same point when you look at it today. It seems more reminiscent of apartheid SA than of 21st century meritocracy to be providing state-sponsored advantages to people based upon race.

Clearly a huge chunk of the white populous have inherited wealth from the past, but there is also a huge chunk that have not and it is these people that will feel the brunt of state racism through affirmative action as it is they that are at the bottom of the pile competing to move upwards along with the favoured group.

BTW, I favor inheritance tax and think its one of the best taxes we have, the person paying is already dead, those receiving did nothing for the money, pulling a chunk of it back to ensure a redistributive tax system and investment in education (one of the best levelers) seems entirely sensible to me. Allowing the children of the wealthy (regardless of ethnicity) to keep pulling away from the poorer in society due to historic advantages of wealth will continue to exacerbate inequalities.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:54 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I think affirmative action programs are very good at showing the people they profess to benefit that success is impossible for them without government aid. There's nothing unhealthy about that, is there? Nothing like perpetuating a cycle...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone, just surprises me how some people are so oblivious to this.

You have raised some good points, however until you are able to live in my skin you will never have a true appreciation of what it is like to be a black man in England, nor would I wish it on you.

As I said before sometimes the mental damage done is even worse than the physical damage.

Imagine after 20 years since I started driving my heart still times misses a beat if I see a police car behind me, because in the past that surely would have meant I was going to be stopped, maybe my car searched, and if I said the wrong thing could lead to me being taken down the station and getting a good kicking in !!! I don't think I have to spell out the amount of black men who have mysteriously died in police custody in the UK.

Imagine the indignity of being harassed by the police just for sitting in the car with your girlfriend one evening whilst having conversation outside her own house.

Police : Could you step out of the car
Me : Why
Police: We have just got notice that a car like this has been stolen in this area.
Me: If I had stolen it, why would I be sitting outside my girlfriends house in it for all to see.
Police: Can you prove it is yours ?
Me: Yes, and so can you just check it on your data base.
Police: What is your name:
Me: Give them my full name.
Police: Have you been drinking:
Me: No, But I am sitting in a stationary car outside my girlfriends house.
Police: Let us see you walk in a straight line
Me: I oblige
Police: What is your name again
Me: I saw you write it down already
Police: can you spell your name backwards

Girlfriend, screams at the top of her voice for all to here what do you think your playing at, what sort of police are you !!!

Me: very much on edge
Police: You can go now
Me: I was not going anywhere, just sitting peacefully outside my girlfreibnds house in my own car, paid with my hard earned money, minding my own business:

Another occasion

This time in one of Londons busiest shopping areas, Oxford Street.
My friend who works in accounts had treated himself to a newish car and had it nicely done up. So here we are suited and booted, fresh hair cuts, nice smelling after shave, young, handsome and successful, life could not be better................. or so you would think......

Lets move on to what it is like being a young black man in England.
You enter a shop and all the shop keepers eyes are on you, because they are convinced you are about to steal something, so you just have miserable shopping experiences !!!

Lets move on to whats its like being a young black man in England.
You are newly married and are ready to rent an apartment, you call the owner because it is local and arrange to meet him there in 30 minutes.
You get there early with your wife and ring the door bell.
The white owner takes one look at you and says the apartment is no longer for rent !!!

You go to view an apartment in Putney which is for sale.
The owner is keen to sell, you like the apartment so offer the full asking price and he accepts. Bingo, you are elated, finally on the property ladder oh so you thought !!! The next day the agent phones you and say's there is a problem, whilst viewing one of the other owners in the block saw us, and before any new person can move in the block it has to go through the tenants association. They told the owner, that they would block the sale to me, as they did not want that sort moving in.

I went to see the apartment after work in a smart suit, but as long as my face was black they would block the purchase.

Or what about when you turn up for the interview and as soon as you get that limp handshake you know you have not got the job, whatever your experience or qualifications.

Do you know what it feels like having to eat lunch alone, whilst other members of your team are giggling the lunch hour away on a separate table, or being wary of going to certain areas, unsure of weather you will be welcomed. It was not that long ago, that we were not welcomed at certain hotels and restaurants, and still some nightclubs are a no no.

I hope now you may see why I would not wish this on you, and believe me I have just touched the tip of the iceberg.

You question affirmative action, I recommend you read the story of Rosa Parks and Dr Martin Luther King jnr, and then after come back and tell me whether you still question affirmative action ?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
You are not alone, just surprises me how some people are so oblivious to this.
What worries me is that anyone thinks it's much different in the US.

You want racist police, you got them.
You want racist shopkeepers, you got them.
You want racist landlords, you got them.
You want racist homeowners associations, you got them.
You want racist employers, you got them.

It's the same everywhere. I don't know why anyone would think Federal laws have helped, half the country is still living in the 50s when it comes to civil rights or equal opportunities.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite the same, our PNC on all occassions matched us but still we have to go through the rigmarole.
But we got arrested and was in a cell for an hour ...
But got a decent coffee and sandwich ...for a snack ...
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:22 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think affirmative action programs are very good at showing the people they profess to benefit that success is impossible for them without government aid. There's nothing unhealthy about that, is there? Nothing like perpetuating a cycle...
That is not what Affirmative Action achieves.The law is there to off set any bais' that exist in corporate America's hiring practises,institutions of higher learning and it does not guarentee a job or slot to minorities and women.Its puts in place incentives such as tax breaks that encourage Human Resouce offices to "consider" women and minorities .It also challenges irregular patterns in hiring practises that only advance the status quo to the exclusion of women and minorities.Meaning,if African Americans,women and Asians have applied for positions that were instead given to less qualified canidates who are apart of the status quo,the law puts the spot light on such tendencies.

Did you know that due to Asians high performance in Ivy league Universities,higher than whites,blacks and latinos,their numbers have exploded in attempting to gain admittance into America's best schools?If Universities were to grant admitance base solely to transcripts and high school GPA's,they would fill a greater number of slots to Asians that are currently given out to white students. Universities have the right to use guidelines to encourage a more balanced demographics.There are qualifying points that determine who is allowed admitance into Ivy league schools.For instance,a son/daughter of a past graduate is given extra qualifying points that go toward gaining entry into that school.If you live in a rural area out in the woods in the middle of no where,you are given extra points which is an advantage for applying for admitance that a kid living in a hugh city doesn't recieve.

All this is done to promote the best inviroment for learning while including as many segments of the population possible.Did you know even though Asians out perform white,black and latino students in the class room,when they apply for positions in management at fortune500, they are not hired in numbers comparible to their achievements at university.Far from it, whites are still given preferrance and untill that bias ends I see no reason why Affirmative Action should be dismantled. Once you're offered a foot in the door its up to that individual to prove his/her merit.If you don't perform well in the job,Affirmative Action will not protect your employment status.Obviously the biggest Affirmative Action program in America has been the "Ole Boys network",,not to mention slavery.White men protecting each other's back passing wealth and access to wealth between one another to the exclusion of women and minorities.

Many women who wanted to advance their financial prospects had to either sleep with the boss or marry into wealth.Barring those drastic options there was little chance women were able to make advances.Listen,the fact is people hearts can not be legislated by passing a law.This law was passed not to gain everyone's love,the law is in place so people's ability will be respected regardless whether if you like them because they look like you or share a similar political affiliation. Prior to Affirmative Action very few women were given the opportunity to break through glass ceilings in management positions not to mention in the boardroom.What amazes me is the obtus manner in which opponents of Affirmative Actions seem to ignore that there has to be a remedy to correct man made problems.What concrete step would you prefer to use to challenge unfair bias in hiring? Many countries,people and business' love the concept of monopolizing wealth and power unless they are the one being excluded.In america our government has a history of breaking up monopolies once they become too powerful such as AT&T telecommunications which had become a monster trying to gobble up all means of communication in the states.Same thing with Microsoft which has been sued and forced to end its unfair monopolizing practise in America and Europe.Why are some people shocked that ending supremecy of any kind would be challenged including White supremecy?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it can be everywhere but there a places where there is less of it. example: Scotland (Montrose)- less, London-more, Texas-more, California- less etc.

Happy Hispanic month!

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
What worries me is that anyone thinks it's much different in the US.

You want racist police, you got them.
You want racist shopkeepers, you got them.
You want racist landlords, you got them.
You want racist homeowners associations, you got them.
You want racist employers, you got them.

It's the same everywhere. I don't know why anyone would think Federal laws have helped, half the country is still living in the 50s when it comes to civil rights or equal opportunities.

Last edited by veryfunny; Oct 4th 2007 at 8:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.