Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dyson vacuum

Dyson vacuum

Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

ponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hoover

Hello all

Please excuse this rather silly question... But I defer to people who may have tried this ?!

We are suddenly moving to the US and have recently purchased a rather expensive hoover.

Will this UK bought hoover work (the same) in the US ?

Many thanks

Last edited by ponyo; Jul 15th 2013 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyson vacuum

Originally Posted by ponyo
Hello all

Please excuse this rather silly question... But I defer to people who may have tried this ?!

We are suddenly moving to the US and have recently purchased a rather expensive hoover.

Will this UK bought hoover work (the same) in the US ?

Many thanks
Just curious why your thread title is about a Dyson, but the body of the text is about a Hoover. Not that it matters, I guess...if one works, the other would too, or vice versa. Just didn't know if you realized you mentioned two different brands.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:50 pm

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Just curious why your thread title is about a Dyson, but the body of the text is about a Hoover. Not that it matters, I guess...if one works, the other would too, or vice versa. Just didn't know if you realized you mentioned two different brands.

Rene
Hoover is not usually mentioned as a brand it's something you do, eg: I'm doing the hoovering.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
Saying Hoover is like saying Kleenex, it's just the generic term for vacuum cleaner.

To answer the OP, probably not a good idea unless it specifically says 120v on it which I doubt it does.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Nokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to allNokoman is a name known to all

You can also hoover back beer.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

ponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond reputeponyo has a reputation beyond repute

I do not work for any vacuum manufacturer..... I mistakenly wrote the brand of the appliance that I purchased.

I assumed that this particular electronic appliance would not work or would work at a lesser degree. Just thought I'd post as someone may have come across this before.

Many thanks

hoover=vacuum
pictures=cinema
biscuit=cookie
football=rugby with commercials and shoulder pads

Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it is designed to run on 110-120v as well as 220-240v, that is one appliance I would NOT try running on a trsnsformer, because you move around the house with it and so you'd have to lug the transformer around as you move around the house, or run it on an extremely long (British) extension cord.

Unless it is 110-120v capable, if it runs at all it will be slow, with very poor suction, and may be a fire hazard as the motor will be running outside of its design parameters.

Get rid of it, a new Dyson here will run you around $450-$500 incl tax.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 15th 2013 at 8:05 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoover

No one has answered your question yet, so let me take the opportunity to.

The answer is NO, your vacuum cleaner will not work in the USA. The US uses a lower current than the rest of the world (100-110v opposed to UK 220-240v).

This doesn't mean that you can't use your vacuum mind. It just means you need to purchase a step up transformer. Something like this will do the trick: http://amzn.com/B000MY02LQ

(I'm working on the assumption your Dyson is 2000w, so you really need 3000w to be safe)
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:03 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless it is designed to run on 110-120v as well as 220-240v, that is one appliance I would NOT try running on a trsnsformer, because you move around the house with it and so you'd have to lug the transformer around as you move around the house, or run it on an extremely long (British) extension cord.

Get rid of it, a new Dyson here will run you around $450-$500 incl tax.
I took the decision to bring my Miele vacuum over as the price of Miele's here is obscene ($800 for my model compared to £250 in the UK!)
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No one has answered your question yet, so let me take the opportunity to.
Apart from me.
The answer is NO, your vacuum cleaner will not work in the USA. The US uses a lower current than the rest of the world (100-110v opposed to UK 220-240v). ....
No! The US uses HIGHER current, but lower voltage. Voltage and current are inversely related for the same power (wattage).

Also your UK vacuum has a motor designed to run on 50Hz mains, so unless the specifications say "50-60Hz", even if you step down the voltage it may still not run right because US mains is 60Hz and transformers don't alter the frequency.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 15th 2013 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks to you all.

You confirmed what I thought was the case. Another thing to be sold.......

Appreciate your help
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
I still Hoover my floor and I have had a Dyson for the last 11 years.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Apart from me.
No! The US uses HIGHER current, but lower voltage. Voltage and current are inversely related for the same power (wattage).

Also your UK vacuum has a motor designed to run on 50Hz mains, so unless the specifications say "50-60Hz", even if you step down the voltage it may still not run right because US mains is 60Hz and transformers don't alter the frequency.
Sorry, I think i literally just replied the same time as you to answer the question

And, oh bugger! I'm going to check my vacuum is 50-60Hz online, as my container is currently travelling up the east coast!

EDIT: just checked online, looks like i'm screwed? "Electrical connection 230V/50Hz/13A". Can't believe i've had it transported all this way and it's going to be useless?

Last edited by hungryhorace; Jul 15th 2013 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Saying Hoover is like saying Kleenex, it's just the generic term for vacuum cleaner.
Ah, I see, thanks.

Rene
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:10 pm
Banned

I'm reliably informed by one of the physics guys here that my vacuum will work just fine on 60Hz, it just might run a bit faster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.