Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dyson vacuum

Dyson vacuum

Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hoover

Originally Posted by ponyo
Hello all

Please excuse this rather silly question... But I defer to people who may have tried this ?!

We are suddenly moving to the US and have recently purchased a rather expensive hoover.

Will this UK bought hoover work (the same) in the US ?

Many thanks
If you only bought it recently, perhaps you could return it and get your money back? Just a thought.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyson vacuum

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I'm reliably informed by one of the physics guys here that my vacuum will work just fine on 60Hz, it just might run a bit faster
He's probably right, but it might also be a fire hazard, and it might wear out faster. The first of those isn't likely as big a risk as for other appliances, given that there is generally no reason to run a vacuum cleaner other than when you're actually holding it, so turn it off if you smell smoke, and the second point is what it is, the vacuum might run for years, ... or it might not!
Old Jul 15th 2013, 9:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Dyson a few months before we moved here. I gave it to my in-laws. I was as sick as a pig because in 1996 I couldn't find a bagless vac anywhere in New Jersey. Now they are readily available.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 2:35 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Saying Hoover is like saying Kleenex, it's just the generic term for vacuum cleaner.

To answer the OP, probably not a good idea unless it specifically says 120v on it which I doubt it does.
Not only that, it is a brand name that has become a verb meaning to perform it's purpose - such a successful marketing ploy, that many people don't even know it. Like Google from the 1950's.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:29 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Apart from me.
No! The US uses HIGHER current, but lower voltage. Voltage and current are inversely related for the same power (wattage).

Also your UK vacuum has a motor designed to run on 50Hz mains, so unless the specifications say "50-60Hz", even if you step down the voltage it may still not run right because US mains is 60Hz and transformers don't alter the frequency.
The power of the vacuum motor would be less as voltage = current x resistance , if we ignore the impedance and capacitance, we can assume the resistance is constant therefore as the voltage is halfed so the current would also be halved.
Hence the power would be a quarter of the UK power as power = voltage x current.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drew.Dean
The power of the vacuum motor would be less as voltage = current x resistance , if we ignore the impedance and capacitance, we can assume the resistance is constant therefore as the voltage is halfed so the current would also be halved.
Hence the power would be a quarter of the UK power as power = voltage x current.
Agreed, except that I said "for the same power" i.e.if you buy a US Dyson of the same model with the same power, the current drawn by the US appliance will be twice that drawn by the UK appliance because the voltage is halved.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:27 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that Dysons are modular and designed to be easy to change out parts - I don't know if this is true. If so, you may be able to buy an American motor module and replace it.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson had a US spec motor made by Mitsubishi I think for the US market.

UK one won't be much use and even if you did want to lug a transformer around the house, the motor won't last nearly as long and home owners insurance might think twice if you made a claim after your house burnt down in case of a fire.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 3:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
I have heard that Dysons are modular and designed to be easy to change out parts - I don't know if this is true. If so, you may be able to buy an American motor module and replace it.
You could, but that would be the bulk of just buying a new Dyson in the US.

Can get a refurb Dyson for $200 which is less than a new motor....plus it's a bit of a mammoth ball ache to take apart unless you've got a set of those torque screwdrivers and taking it to a shop to do would probably cost you as much as the motor.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 4:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You could, but that would be the bulk of just buying a new Dyson in the US.

Can get a refurb Dyson for $200 which is less than a new motor....plus it's a bit of a mammoth ball ache to take apart unless you've got a set of those torque screwdrivers and taking it to a shop to do would probably cost you as much as the motor.
There's just something inside me that regards Dyson's as marketing junk, rather than first class works of engineering like a Miele. This is my current model http://www.amazon.com/Miele-S5281-Ca.../dp/B0038JPDJI and I'm loath to give it up for a Dyson here in the US.

I'm still staggered at the huge price differences between Miele appliances in the UK and US!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
There's just something inside me that regards Dyson's as marketing junk, rather than first class works of engineering like a Miele. This is my current model http://www.amazon.com/Miele-S5281-Ca.../dp/B0038JPDJI and I'm loath to give it up for a Dyson here in the US.

I'm still staggered at the huge price differences between Miele appliances in the UK and US!
I was sceptical about the Dyson, but it works, and ours works as well today as it did 6-7 years ago when we bought it.... it is still capable of pulling a strange grey paste-like dust out of the carpet. You could not pay me to take a Miele instead, though I suspect the Miele might survive falling down the stairs, when I'm fairly certain the Dyson would not!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:51 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I was sceptical about the Dyson, but it works, and ours works as well today as it did 6-7 years ago when we bought it.... it is still capable of pulling a strange grey paste-like dust out of the carpet. You could not pay me to take a Miele instead, though I suspect the Miele might survive falling down the stairs, when I'm fairly certain the Dyson would not!
++ Three dog household and our Dyson handles it with ease. Wouldn't even consider anything else.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that a DC14 and DC41 will both survive going down the stairs. However, if you plan on doing it on a regular basis I would go for the more tank luke DC14!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:02 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

iRoomba FTW!
Old Jul 16th 2013, 6:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
iRoomba FTW!
Roomba...we have wooden floors and I wouldn't have anything else. I loved the Dyson I had in the UK...4 dogs and carpets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.