British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dyson vacuum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dyson-vacuum-802978/)

ponyo Jul 15th 2013 7:43 pm

Hoover

Hello all

Please excuse this rather silly question... But I defer to people who may have tried this ?!

We are suddenly moving to the US and have recently purchased a rather expensive hoover.

Will this UK bought hoover work (the same) in the US ?

Many thanks

Noorah101 Jul 15th 2013 7:47 pm

Re: Dyson vacuum

Originally Posted by ponyo (Post 10801579)
Hello all

Please excuse this rather silly question... But I defer to people who may have tried this ?!

We are suddenly moving to the US and have recently purchased a rather expensive hoover.

Will this UK bought hoover work (the same) in the US ?

Many thanks

Just curious why your thread title is about a Dyson, but the body of the text is about a Hoover. Not that it matters, I guess...if one works, the other would too, or vice versa. Just didn't know if you realized you mentioned two different brands.

Rene

Kelli28 Jul 15th 2013 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 10801580)
Just curious why your thread title is about a Dyson, but the body of the text is about a Hoover. Not that it matters, I guess...if one works, the other would too, or vice versa. Just didn't know if you realized you mentioned two different brands.

Rene

Hoover is not usually mentioned as a brand it's something you do, eg: I'm doing the hoovering.

sir_eccles Jul 15th 2013 7:51 pm

Rene

Saying Hoover is like saying Kleenex, it's just the generic term for vacuum cleaner.

To answer the OP, probably not a good idea unless it specifically says 120v on it which I doubt it does.

Nokoman Jul 15th 2013 7:55 pm

You can also hoover back beer.

ponyo Jul 15th 2013 7:58 pm

I do not work for any vacuum manufacturer..... I mistakenly wrote the brand of the appliance that I purchased.

I assumed that this particular electronic appliance would not work or would work at a lesser degree. Just thought I'd post as someone may have come across this before.

Many thanks

hoover=vacuum
pictures=cinema
biscuit=cookie
football=rugby with commercials and shoulder pads

;)

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 8:02 pm

Unless it is designed to run on 110-120v as well as 220-240v, that is one appliance I would NOT try running on a trsnsformer, because you move around the house with it and so you'd have to lug the transformer around as you move around the house, or run it on an extremely long (British) extension cord.

Unless it is 110-120v capable, if it runs at all it will be slow, with very poor suction, and may be a fire hazard as the motor will be running outside of its design parameters.

Get rid of it, a new Dyson here will run you around $450-$500 incl tax.

hungryhorace Jul 15th 2013 8:03 pm

Re: Hoover

No one has answered your question yet, so let me take the opportunity to.

The answer is NO, your vacuum cleaner will not work in the USA. The US uses a lower current than the rest of the world (100-110v opposed to UK 220-240v).

This doesn't mean that you can't use your vacuum mind. It just means you need to purchase a step up transformer. Something like this will do the trick: http://amzn.com/B000MY02LQ

(I'm working on the assumption your Dyson is 2000w, so you really need 3000w to be safe)

hungryhorace Jul 15th 2013 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10801604)
Unless it is designed to run on 110-120v as well as 220-240v, that is one appliance I would NOT try running on a trsnsformer, because you move around the house with it and so you'd have to lug the transformer around as you move around the house, or run it on an extremely long (British) extension cord.

Get rid of it, a new Dyson here will run you around $450-$500 incl tax.

I took the decision to bring my Miele vacuum over as the price of Miele's here is obscene ($800 for my model compared to £250 in the UK!)

Pulaski Jul 15th 2013 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by hungryhorace (Post 10801605)
No one has answered your question yet, so let me take the opportunity to.

Apart from me. ;)

The answer is NO, your vacuum cleaner will not work in the USA. The US uses a lower current than the rest of the world (100-110v opposed to UK 220-240v). ....
No! The US uses HIGHER current, but lower voltage. Voltage and current are inversely related for the same power (wattage).

Also your UK vacuum has a motor designed to run on 50Hz mains, so unless the specifications say "50-60Hz", even if you step down the voltage it may still not run right because US mains is 60Hz and transformers don't alter the frequency.

ponyo Jul 15th 2013 8:15 pm

Many thanks to you all.

You confirmed what I thought was the case. Another thing to be sold.......

Appreciate your help

Ash UK/US Jul 15th 2013 8:16 pm

Rene

I still Hoover my floor and I have had a Dyson for the last 11 years. :)

hungryhorace Jul 15th 2013 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10801617)
Apart from me. ;)
No! The US uses HIGHER current, but lower voltage. Voltage and current are inversely related for the same power (wattage).

Also your UK vacuum has a motor designed to run on 50Hz mains, so unless the specifications say "50-60Hz", even if you step down the voltage it may still not run right because US mains is 60Hz and transformers don't alter the frequency.

Sorry, I think i literally just replied the same time as you to answer the question :)

And, oh bugger! I'm going to check my vacuum is 50-60Hz online, as my container is currently travelling up the east coast!

EDIT: just checked online, looks like i'm screwed? "Electrical connection 230V/50Hz/13A". Can't believe i've had it transported all this way and it's going to be useless? :(

Noorah101 Jul 15th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10801588)
Saying Hoover is like saying Kleenex, it's just the generic term for vacuum cleaner.

Ah, I see, thanks. :)

Rene

hungryhorace Jul 15th 2013 9:10 pm

I'm reliably informed by one of the physics guys here that my vacuum will work just fine on 60Hz, it just might run a bit faster ;)