Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dyson vacuum

Dyson vacuum

Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyson vacuum

I bet I'm the only one who, reading the title of this thread, thought it had something to do with physics.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marocco
I bet I'm the only one who, reading the title of this thread, thought it had something to do with physics.
It does, my Dyson doesn't work by chemistry, neither does any directly competing cleaning device.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:32 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It does, my Dyson doesn't work by chemistry, neither does any directly competing cleaning device.
Mine sucks.. like Gravity. And Magnets.

Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoover

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
No one has answered your question yet, so let me take the opportunity to.

The answer is NO, your vacuum cleaner will not work in the USA. The US uses a lower current than the rest of the world (100-110v opposed to UK 220-240v).

This doesn't mean that you can't use your vacuum mind. It just means you need to purchase a step up transformer. Something like this will do the trick: http://amzn.com/B000MY02LQ

(I'm working on the assumption your Dyson is 2000w, so you really need 3000w to be safe)
Hungyhorace - not picking on you personally but you really should stick to things you know about, and volts, amps and watts is apparently not one of them....
US voltage is notionally 120VAC, 60Hz
A step-up transformer for 2000 Watts of power is a big, heavy and hot beast. I have one to run some power tools and it is not luggable in any reasonable sense of the word
You will not get more that about 1800 Watts out of a US 15 amp wall socket. Some rings in the kitchen MAY be on a 20A circuit.
Finally the 50Hz UK frequency and 60Hz US frequency may have some effect on the performance of the vacuum, even if it is running at the correct voltage

OP - If you are adventurous you might be able to extract 220V from a wall socket in the kitchen or garage (with a lot of caveats). Since you asked the question it is probably safe to assume this is beyond you. As others have said, sell and buy one when you get here. We have the Animal (DC-07, sorry not sure of the exact model as it is the Mrs dept.) and it works.

Last edited by TimFountain; Jul 16th 2013 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:22 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoover

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Hungyhorace - not picking on you personally but you really should stick to things you know about, and volts, amps and watts is apparently not one of them....
No, no, i'll give you that one
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
++ Three dog household and our Dyson handles it with ease. Wouldn't even consider anything else.
Ours is about to hit 10 years old and still just as good too. Bit of a faff cleaning the front roller bit as it tends to get long hairs building up and remembering to rinse out the blue foam filter, but that's just a air filter for the motor.

They've certainly gotten lighter and more nimble over the years though.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
They've certainly gotten lighter and more nimble over the years though.
Unlike me.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike me.
Might I suggest reducing the serving size of Devil Dogs to "six"?
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Might I suggest reducing the serving size of Devil Dogs to "six"?
Well, I don't see how that would work at all.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike me.
Use the Dyson to suck it out of you...there's probably a nasty picture in that one :/
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Use the Dyson to suck it out of you...there's probably a nasty picture in that one :/
JG would ban me.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Bob
This one, perhaps?

Old Jul 17th 2013, 5:43 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Mine sucks.. like Gravity. And Magnets.

Magnets don't suck. Magnets are cool. I like magnets. What's your problem?

Gravity not so much. Its a bit like inflation....It just seems to keep increasing. i know, because every morning when I stand on that thing under my sink, I can tell gravity has gone up again. Not a lot, but like compound interest, the cumulative effect over a few years is quite remarkable.

Now will someone please tell me how much the ambulance cost cos I really need to go to sleep!
Old Jul 17th 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a Dyson DC07 years ago and reckon that they are overpriced and overrated.

The suction was good but otherwise the thing was a nightmare to use - it was clumsy and difficult to reconfigure and had a tendency to topple over when using the flexible hose with the "wand". To add insult to injury it didn't even have a retractable power cord.

I ended up buying a canister vac from Sears for less than half of what the Dyson cost and have been perfectly happy with it for the last 6 years.
Old Jul 17th 2013, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Magnets don't suck. Magnets are cool. I like magnets. What's your problem?

Gravity not so much. Its a bit like inflation....It just seems to keep increasing. i know, because every morning when I stand on that thing under my sink, I can tell gravity has gone up again. Not a lot, but like compound interest, the cumulative effect over a few years is quite remarkable.

Now will someone please tell me how much the ambulance cost cos I really need to go to sleep!
Magnets do so too suck, but in a cool way.
The earth has magnets in it (you can dig em up, I saw it on tv). All the magnets in the ground are why we don't all fall off of it. Without them, places like Australia wouldn't work at all!!1!

Gravity, well, you can't mess with that, it's the Law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.