Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test!

Driving Test!

Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Driving Test!

Originally Posted by Ray
Emmisions ..we have none of that in FLA...
....yet.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Life is just soooo much easier with US ID though. The computers are interlinked between the DDS(DMV), insurance companies, county tag office and the police. So if you get stopped here, they tell YOU if you are insured, licenced and current with vehicle tax and emissions.

So if I get stopped, the policeman would expect me to turn over my GA licence, not a UK one.

When I bought my car, I didnt have to show any documents to get it tagged, just pay the $20 fee, because the computer had all the info they needed.

Mind you, the insurance companies automatically grass on you if it lapses, as happened to a friend of mine.

Of course you need a DL from the state where you live.

But you do NOT need to give up your UK license to get a US license, whether in Georgia or any other state.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
Of course you need a DL from the state where you live.

But you do NOT need to give up your UK license to get a US license, whether in Georgia or any other state.
Well, apparently I did. If I never had a licence, then I would need a learner's permit and go through the whole ball-ache of being a completely new driver.

As a foreign full licence holder, they let me drive on my UK licence, until I take the test. It's quite explicit in the driver handbook that they expect all previous licences to be handed in. There's a separate section for inter state moves, compared with international moves. Both need you to hand over your old licence.

In practice, this is exactly what happened. I passed the test, had my photo taken, and IN EXCHANGE for my UK licence, I received a US one. I specifically asked if I could keep my UK licence. "No".
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
....yet.
We had it once in a few counties ...nobody bothered ...
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:58 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Emmisions ..we have none of that in FLA...
New Mexico doesn't even require a catalytic converter, let alone do emissions testing.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I took my driving test today & passed, wooohooo!!!

Yes, I had to wait 2 hours to do it & the examiner wasn't in the best of moods (although I hear that is pretty common!), but it took all of 10 minutes & it was easy! I did get a tick marked against me for speeding, as we went into a residential area & I didn't slow down quick enough, so I was going 28 as we entered a 25mph zone, but oh well!

The thing I'm most happy about is, I now have an ID that is acceptable!!!
Congratulations Liz.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
Congratulations!

I passed a driving test today too, for my CDL.

Congratulations Toon.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hopefully he will have kept a UK address of sorts, so he can order a replacement licence for the one he has clearly "lost" . Because I don't think Swansea will "exchange" his GA one for a new UK licence...

Which reminds me: I still have one of those old paper licences - how easy is to get one of them fancy new photo ones?
I applied for a new one last year when I was in the UK. I e-mailed the DVLC about 2 yrs ago and was told that I could only change my licence if I was a UK resident. I gave my MIL address and took the paperwork into a main PO, I received the new licence within 14 days.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:31 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I applied for a new one last year when I was in the UK. I e-mailed the DVLC about 2 yrs ago and was told that I could only change my licence if I was a UK resident. I gave my MIL address and took the paperwork into a main PO, I received the new licence within 14 days.
What sorts of documents did you have to send in besides the photo? Did you send in your old licence?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What sorts of documents did you have to send in besides the photo? Did you send in your old licence?
Yes I had to surrender my paper licence. You have to send PP size photos along with photo ID to prove your identity. If you do not wish to send your PP to the DVLC (I didn't because I needed my PP to return to the US a few days later) you can take your application into a main PO. The clerk there verifies your photo ID and checks through the application to make sure everything is in order.

If I remember correctly you can get a doctor. teacher etc. to confirm your identity but I didn't feel comfortable involving anyone else as I am not a UK resident, so using my PP was the solution.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes I had to surrender my paper licence. You have to send PP size photos along with photo ID to prove your identity. If you do not wish to send your PP to the DVLC (I didn't because I needed my PP to return to the US a few days later) you can take your application into a main PO. The clerk there verifies your photo ID and checks through the application to make sure everything is in order.

If I remember correctly you can get a doctor. teacher etc. to confirm your identity but I didn't feel comfortable involving anyone else as I am not a UK resident, so using my PP was the solution.
So just to clarify I took the following to the PO:

2 PP size photos
Application form
Old licence
Fee

All the above were sent to the DVLC by the clerk after he had verified my ID using my UK PP.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:52 pm
Homebody

2 PP size photos
Application form
Old licence
Fee

All the above were sent to the DVLC by the clerk after he had verified my ID using my UK PP.

Thanks!!! (Karma sent - not blank for once... )
Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks!!! (Karma sent - not blank for once... )

Off to a 4th July BBQ shortly....enjoy the rest of the day.

BTW did you sort out your pool problem?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And there lay my problem.... don't have a UK PP ...
Old Jul 4th 2006, 10:24 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving test!

Originally Posted by rushman
HEY!!! I said congrats too!!!
Sorry, I didn't mean to miss you out...thanx, Mr Lover Man!

There, is that better?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.