Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving Test!

Driving Test!

Old Jul 4th 2006, 5:22 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test!

Originally Posted by Partystar
Congrats to you too mate, I'm glad you didn't take that job, it sounds dodgy to say the least! I'm sure you can do much better!
Me too....

I have been stressing over this; it's been difficult for Toon to deal with this company and believe me, what he wrote is the tip of the iceberg on how they (mis)treat employees (that's my opinion).

I kept noticing weirdnesses when he'd talk about things but I put it down to his lack of experience in interviewing American-style. I kept saying, "Why are you doing x when you haven't talked about y yet????"

So those wondering where he's been -- now ya know.

He also did the sneaky thing of dragging me to Home Depot when I was pissed as a fart.... after the England-Portugal match. I'd been putting off going after work cos I was tired. Ever try picking out a paint colour while you can't focus? I think I did pretty well considering.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 6:05 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Driving Test!

I took my driving test today & passed, wooohooo!!!

Yes, I had to wait 2 hours to do it & the examiner wasn't in the best of moods (although I hear that is pretty common!), but it took all of 10 minutes & it was easy! I did get a tick marked against me for speeding, as we went into a residential area & I didn't slow down quick enough, so I was going 28 as we entered a 25mph zone, but oh well!

The thing I'm most happy about is, I now have an ID that is acceptable!!!
Congrats!!

Ant
Old Jul 4th 2006, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
Did they make you parallel park?
I had to do that with the bus.

The gap they told me to park in had the lenght of a street.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

I took my driving test today & passed, wooohooo!!!

Yes, I had to wait 2 hours to do it & the examiner wasn't in the best of moods (although I hear that is pretty common!), but it took all of 10 minutes & it was easy! I did get a tick marked against me for speeding, as we went into a residential area & I didn't slow down quick enough, so I was going 28 as we entered a 25mph zone, but oh well!

The thing I'm most happy about is, I now have an ID that is acceptable!!!
Congrats! I went on the last day before Christmas last year, hoping there would be no line. And there wasnt. As you say, test was easy. Breaking the law though is a BIG no-no here in GA. Speeding being the common one. The test center is in a shopping center, and the reversing exercises are done in the parking lot, which has a 10mph limit. No problem for the exercises, but driving out onto the roads at 10mph! I got marked down for doing 25 in a 35, but it was not a failure.

The only bad (sad) part was handing over my UK licence for the GA one. Oh, and the funny looks when renting a car in the UK when I show my GA licence, but with a UK accent!

Congrats again. Cheaper insurance shall be yours!
Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
The only bad (sad) part was handing over my UK licence for the GA one. Oh, and the funny looks when renting a car in the UK when I show my GA licence, but with a UK accenr........
What on earth did you do that for??

This is the first time I hear of anyone relinquishing their UK licence for a US one....
Old Jul 4th 2006, 2:56 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Opera sucks!

Originally Posted by Elvira

This is the first time I hear of anyone relinquishing their UK licence for a US one....
Odd one that.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

It's the law here. It's an exchange. I had to surrender my UK one. No great loss really, as I can just exchange the GA one for a UK one if I ever go back.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly forgot: Congratulations Liz!!!
I though her name was Beryl ...
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dribbling Toast

Originally Posted by Ray
I though her name was Beryl ...
Ethel
Old Jul 4th 2006, 3:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

It's the law here. It's an exchange. I had to surrender my UK one. No great loss really, as I can just exchange the GA one for a UK one if I ever go back.
Not actually true ... Thay can really only exchange theirs for another State one .. Your belongs to the DLVC .. you should not have parted with it ...
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:01 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not actually true ... Thay can really only exchange theirs for another State one .. Your belongs to the DLVC .. you should not have parted with it ...
Hopefully he will have kept a UK address of sorts, so he can order a replacement licence for the one he has clearly "lost" . Because I don't think Swansea will "exchange" his GA one for a new UK licence...

Which reminds me: I still have one of those old paper licences - how easy is to get one of them fancy new photo ones?
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
From the DVLA:

Moving to another country
If you move to another country, you should check with the driving licence authorities there for information about driving and exchange of licences. If you return to GB from a non-EC/EEA country and are not in possession of a GB licence, you may:

drive for up to 12 months on your foreign licence,

apply for a duplicate of your GB licence on payment of the appropriate fee

And from the Georgia DDS:

Applicant must surrender all previous driver’s licenses, identification
cards, and instructional permits to the Examiner.

I'm satisfied that a) I'm within the law. b) I can get my UK renewed if I need it and c) They werent going to give me a GA one without surrendering my UK one.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:15 pm
Ray

Applicant must surrender all previous driver’s licenses, identification cards, and instructional permits to the Examiner.
It no great problem ...but the georgia law applies to American licences ..remember they really don't acknowledge other countries exist ..
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
It no great problem ...but the georgia law applies to American licences ..remember they really don't acknowledge other countries exist ..
Life is just soooo much easier with US ID though. The computers are interlinked between the DDS(DMV), insurance companies, county tag office and the police. So if you get stopped here, they tell YOU if you are insured, licenced and current with vehicle tax and emissions.

So if I get stopped, the policeman would expect me to turn over my GA licence, not a UK one.

When I bought my car, I didnt have to show any documents to get it tagged, just pay the $20 fee, because the computer had all the info they needed.

Mind you, the insurance companies automatically grass on you if it lapses, as happened to a friend of mine.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 4:27 pm
Ray

Life is just soooo much easier with US ID though. The computers are interlinked between the DDS(DMV), insurance companies, county tag office and the police. So if you get stopped here, they tell YOU if you are insured, licenced and current with vehicle tax and emissions.
Emmisions ..we have none of that in FLA...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.