Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Driving in Cali

Driving in Cali

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Cali

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Exactly its 2010 not Dinosaur age
Tick tock, Granny.. when's your b-day again?

So, you'd have to be with AmerLisa (and me) in the "too old" to call it Cali Department then.

Oh phooey on all that.. are you going to have a fab 4th.. your first as a 'Merikun? We will salute you from up here.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 1:18 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Tick tock, Granny.. when's your b-day again?

So, you'd have to be with AmerLisa (and me) in the "too old" to call it Cali Department then.

Oh phooey on all that.. are you going to have a fab 4th.. your first as a 'Merikun? We will salute you from up here.
Yes matey off camping to Tahoe tomorrow loaded with booze and Mossi repelent...will be thinking of you
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Shall we take a poll to see which of the four of us was born there?

Birthin' rights, FTW!
Hey! I was born and raised there!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:27 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
One small, and slightly off topic, piece of advice for the OP.

Get out of the habit of referring to California as "Cali" now! (in US parlance "Cali" is the name of a Colombian drug cartel not a state ...)

... and don't even think of calling a certain city in Northern California "San Fran" (or, even worse, "Frisco")
Actually I was amused at the "Cali" because I was thinking of Colombia.

On "San Fran" or "Frisco" -- that is an old joke and usually, the offense taken is an act. I lived in the City for five years and I know. [BTW, the residents of San Francisco put on the snobbish air of "The City" and the old "San Francisco Warriors" [now "Golden State"] had "The City" on the front of their home jerseys].

BTW, El-ay is just fine for Los Angeles. When one of my off-spring lived in France for a while and she would be asked where she was from -- and having learned that French curse for the US at the time was the phrase "George Bush," would say "Los Angeles." And then she would get "Where in Los Angeles? I have friends LA who live in Irvine" or some such. She had trouble convincing people that she was born and raised in "Los Angeles." Irvine or Calabasas ain't L.A. Go figure.

Last edited by S Folinsky; Jul 3rd 2010 at 4:38 am.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Yes matey off camping to Tahoe tomorrow loaded with booze and Mossi repelent...will be thinking of you
One thought that make life easier is to join AAA, the autoclub for roadside service. About $80 for a year. It's useful and you can circumvent the DMV for many services as they have computers linked to the DMV. No waiting. So worth it.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 2:33 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
One thought that make life easier is to join AAA, the autoclub for roadside service. About $80 for a year. It's useful and you can circumvent the DMV for many services as they have computers linked to the DMV. No waiting. So worth it.
Not sure why thats relevent to my post!!
But I used to have AAA now I use AT&T its only $2.99 a month

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 8th 2010 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2010, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

To give my experience, I would recommend taking the test in a rental car. Just have your rental full insurance and you should be fine. I did this, no problem.

And a tip - when you take the driving test you know those two little lines at a junction? You're supposed to stop before the first one not the second one I must have skipped that part in my "training", but still passed. Would never happen in the UK!

Not sure where you are / will be based, but ask around friends / colleagues about which test center to go to. Some are more accessible, and not as stressful. For example, i did mine in San Celemente, CA, which is a lovely quiet beach town, not a scary city
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

What's this? AT&T custies get a AAA discount??
Might need to know about that!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What's this? AT&T custies get a AAA discount??
Might need to know about that!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Does AT&T have the direct link to the DMV?
Old Jul 8th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by emailrob
To give my experience, I would recommend taking the test in a rental car. Just have your rental full insurance and you should be fine. I did this, no problem.

And a tip - when you take the driving test you know those two little lines at a junction? You're supposed to stop before the first one not the second one I must have skipped that part in my "training", but still passed. Would never happen in the UK!

Not sure where you are / will be based, but ask around friends / colleagues about which test center to go to. Some are more accessible, and not as stressful. For example, i did mine in San Celemente, CA, which is a lovely quiet beach town, not a scary city
Although I learned on and had a stick shift, I rented an automatic and drove around a little before the test to get used to it. I figured my knees would be shaking and I might stall with the stick shift during the test and get flustered. They did and I was find because of the automatic.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 11:10 am
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going to have to take a test in Nevada when I move over... Having driven in California on visits, does anybody know if there are a massive difference in the rules/regs?

I know that "California stops" aren't legal anyways, even in California - doesn't stop me from doing them though! :P
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:39 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn
I'm going to have to take a test in Nevada when I move over... Having driven in California on visits, does anybody know if there are a massive difference in the rules/regs?

I know that "California stops" aren't legal anyways, even in California - doesn't stop me from doing them though! :P
Very similar driving laws...but bring your rolling stops here...we just love writing those tickets...might let you off depending if your a northerner or southerner...
Old Jul 9th 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SDDep
Very similar driving laws...but bring your rolling stops here...we just love writing those tickets...might let you off depending if your a northerner or southerner...
You can make a right on a red light, which I don't think you can in other states. Always stop behind the lines.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
You can make a right on a red light, which I don't think you can in other states.
Your thinking is incorrect.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.