Driving in Cali

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:15 am
Just Joined

MidnightLight is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving in Cali

Originally Posted by E3only
Hi:
This was my plan,
1.Pass the written test and drive a rental car for few weekends (passenger a valid CA lic)
2.Book driving test
3.Take the rental car for the test.
4.Hope to pass, if not friend drives me back.

Now, is rental car not acceptable for behind the wheel test?
I heard that the DMV *might* require you to produce written authorization from the rental company to use its car for the test. If that's the case, I doubt that the major (national) rental companies would be willing to provide that, though you might have some luck with smaller local companies. You probably should call the DMV to clarify.

Btw, if you already possess a valid UK or other foreign driver's license, you won't need to be accompanied while driving. The CA DMV will issue you a temporary license (valid for up to 60 days) that will authorize you to drive while you wait to take the driving test. This is different from the learner's permit issued to new drivers. I know this because I recently went through this process myself.

Last edited by MidnightLight; Jul 2nd 2010 at 4:44 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidnightLight
I heard that the DMV *might* require you to produce written authorization from the rental company to use its car for the test. If that's the case, I doubt that the major (national) rental companies would be willing to provide that, though you might have some luck with smaller local companies. You probably should call the DMV to clarify.

Btw, if you already possess a valid UK or other foreign driver's license, you won't need to be accompanied while driving. The CA DMV will issue you a temporary license (valid for up to 60 days) that will authorize you to drive while you wait to take the driving test. This is different from the learner's permit issued to new drivers. I know this because I recently went through this process myself.
I am going to call DMV coz someone else said the same thing that rental cars might not be viable for the tests. However, someone recommended me to hook up with some driving school for a lesson and then take that car.

I will be heading to DMV and get the 60 days valid license and then hope to clear the road tests soon !!

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:06 am
Just Joined

SnoopJohnnyJohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SDDep
we are all products of our environment...I like to swim in circles, make big splashes and put on shows for the tourists
Shamu? When did you learn how to type with your giant fins?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 1:26 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn
Shamu? When did you learn how to type with your giant fins?
I have very good fine motor skills..
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:06 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
THANK YOU!!!
We call it San Fran and that we live in Cali never had a problem.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yeah!

The only reason I don't call it Cali more often is it seems so youngish to say that....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah!

The only reason I don't call it Cali more often is it seems so youngish to say that....
You are right its more of a youngsters term but its just widly by everyone I hear it daily and think nothing of it
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 4:47 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

You are right its more of a youngsters term but its just widly by everyone I hear it daily and think nothing of it
Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows if the California DMV offices will even be open by the time that you come to take your test ...

(Yes, folks, it's that time of year again and California is starting its annual budget standoff between the governator, the legislature and just about everyone else ...)
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 6:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yeah!

Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali....
Shall we take a poll to see which of the four of us was born there?

Birthin' rights, FTW!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:21 pm
Not around much..

Birthin' rights, FTW!

Bah humbug....
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Who knows if the California DMV offices will even be open by the time that you come to take your test ...

(Yes, folks, it's that time of year again and California is starting its annual budget standoff between the governator, the legislature and just about everyone else ...)
Oh bugger, does that include professors?
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:32 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh bugger, does that include professors?

they are the first on the chopping block..a.long with the bin men...

all joking aside...its despicable when education gets targeted...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

they are the first on the chopping block..a.long with the bin men...

all joking aside...its despicable when education gets targeted...
The bin men aren't state employees. They've already furloughed the teachers here
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:10 pm

Birthin' rights, FTW!
Exactly its 2010 not Dinosaur age

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.