Reload this Page >

Driving in Cali

Driving in Cali

Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

rj123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Cali

Hi there,

I arrived in Cali on an E2 about 2 weeks ago and have passed my written DMV exam and have my driving test in 2 weeks time.

I have bought a car and have insured it on a UK license for now.

I have searched the DMV and other sites and can't find a definitive answer.

Can I drive this car on my UK license till I take my test? Some sites mention 30 days on a UK license. Some cali sites mention getting your license within 10 days which is impossible as it takes 2 weeks to get your social security number needed to apply for a license.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Cali

Originally Posted by rj123
I have searched the DMV and other sites and can't find a definitive answer.
Have you called the DMV about this?

... getting your license within 10 days which is impossible as it takes 2 weeks to get your social security number needed to apply for a license.
This should be a hint as to how to proceed.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Ian,

I did ask the lady in the DMV, she was unsure. I left more confused than when I started. She was more concerned with a conversation she was having with her work colleague. I did ring them as well and waited 45 minutes at which point the system dropped me out. I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.

I have a hire car here, which i'm driving on a British license but can't find definitive advice on my own car.

Rob.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

I did ask the lady in the DMV, she was unsure. I left more confused than when I started. She was more concerned with a conversation she was having with her work colleague. I did ring them as well and waited 45 minutes at which point the system dropped me out. I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.

I have a hire car here, which i'm driving on a British license but can't find definitive advice on my own car.

Rob.
I would say you're fine, it's certainly what we did. You're already in the works by having taken your written test.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.
Not in California, no... but I feel your pain! Next time, ask to speak to a supervisor - that almost always does the trick.

Ian
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:46 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

Rob.
You "officially" have ten days from establishing residency, per the Vehicle code.

Welcome to CA DMV..lovely eh...

With the hire car it typically isnt a problem, as long as you have your UK license...

What buying and registering a car will do for sure is establish CA residency, then the ten days officially kicks in, if it hasnt already...

The golden rule is being reasonable...if you at least start the process (a pending automated app) then you will be fine, if you take the mickey and dawdle on getting it, 2-3 months etc, then you will be taking your chances..

I re-read your Opost, with the timeline you mentioned, you will be fine...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, advice much appreciated.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:52 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

By the way..I hope your not in LA, you know they are "all" weirdos up there...hehe..
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
By the way..I hope your not in LA, you know they are "all" weirdos up there...hehe..
Oi
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:03 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oi
Except the brits who live there of course...goes without saying...
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Except the brits who live there of course...goes without saying...
I am a bit weird
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:12 am
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I am a bit weird
we are all products of our environment...I like to swim in circles, make big splashes and put on shows for the tourists
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:49 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

hey

You're probably right though
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute

If you present your British license to the DMV at the time of taking the written test, they'll give you a temporary license that allows you to drive until you take the road test.

In practice you can just use your British one and CHP will either not care or give you a minor slap on the wrist.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by henryh

In practice you can just use your British one and CHP will either not care or give you a minor slap on the wrist.
I thought the ticket is quite steep?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.