British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving in Cali (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-cali-673016/)

rj123 Jun 18th 2010 9:50 pm

Driving in Cali

Hi there,

I arrived in Cali on an E2 about 2 weeks ago and have passed my written DMV exam and have my driving test in 2 weeks time.

I have bought a car and have insured it on a UK license for now.

I have searched the DMV and other sites and can't find a definitive answer.

Can I drive this car on my UK license till I take my test? Some sites mention 30 days on a UK license. Some cali sites mention getting your license within 10 days which is impossible as it takes 2 weeks to get your social security number needed to apply for a license.

Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance.

ian-mstm Jun 18th 2010 11:12 pm

Re: Driving in Cali

Originally Posted by rj123 (Post 8641867)
I have searched the DMV and other sites and can't find a definitive answer.

Have you called the DMV about this?

... getting your license within 10 days which is impossible as it takes 2 weeks to get your social security number needed to apply for a license.
This should be a hint as to how to proceed.

Ian

rj123 Jun 18th 2010 11:24 pm

Hi Ian,

I did ask the lady in the DMV, she was unsure. I left more confused than when I started. She was more concerned with a conversation she was having with her work colleague. I did ring them as well and waited 45 minutes at which point the system dropped me out. I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.

I have a hire car here, which i'm driving on a British license but can't find definitive advice on my own car.

Rob.

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2010 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by rj123 (Post 8642009)
Hi Ian,

I did ask the lady in the DMV, she was unsure. I left more confused than when I started. She was more concerned with a conversation she was having with her work colleague. I did ring them as well and waited 45 minutes at which point the system dropped me out. I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.

I have a hire car here, which i'm driving on a British license but can't find definitive advice on my own car.

Rob.

I would say you're fine, it's certainly what we did. You're already in the works by having taken your written test.

ian-mstm Jun 18th 2010 11:31 pm

I'm not sure if you've dealt with the DMV, but it's not a heart warming experience.

Not in California, no... but I feel your pain! :) Next time, ask to speak to a supervisor - that almost always does the trick.

Ian

SDDep Jun 18th 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Ian,

Rob.

You "officially" have ten days from establishing residency, per the Vehicle code.

Welcome to CA DMV..lovely eh...

With the hire car it typically isnt a problem, as long as you have your UK license...

What buying and registering a car will do for sure is establish CA residency, then the ten days officially kicks in, if it hasnt already...

The golden rule is being reasonable...if you at least start the process (a pending automated app) then you will be fine, if you take the mickey and dawdle on getting it, 2-3 months etc, then you will be taking your chances..

I re-read your Opost, with the timeline you mentioned, you will be fine...

rj123 Jun 18th 2010 11:50 pm

Thanks guys, advice much appreciated.

SDDep Jun 18th 2010 11:52 pm

By the way..I hope your not in LA, you know they are "all" weirdos up there...hehe..:p

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2010 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8642044)
By the way..I hope your not in LA, you know they are "all" weirdos up there...hehe..:p

Oi :frown:

SDDep Jun 19th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8642045)
Oi :frown:

Except the brits who live there of course...goes without saying...:)

Sally Redux Jun 19th 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8642054)
Except the brits who live there of course...goes without saying...:)

I am a bit weird :lol:

SDDep Jun 19th 2010 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8642059)
I am a bit weird :lol:

we are all products of our environment...I like to swim in circles, make big splashes and put on shows for the tourists:D

N1cky Jun 19th 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8642044)

hey:frown:

You're probably right though

henryh Jun 19th 2010 8:22 am

If you present your British license to the DMV at the time of taking the written test, they'll give you a temporary license that allows you to drive until you take the road test.

In practice you can just use your British one and CHP will either not care or give you a minor slap on the wrist.

meauxna Jun 19th 2010 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by henryh (Post 8642502)

In practice you can just use your British one and CHP will either not care or give you a minor slap on the wrist.

I thought the ticket is quite steep?