British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Driving in Cali (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/driving-cali-673016/)

MidnightLight Jul 2nd 2010 4:15 am

Re: Driving in Cali

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 8647156)
Hi:
This was my plan,
1.Pass the written test and drive a rental car for few weekends (passenger a valid CA lic)
2.Book driving test
3.Take the rental car for the test.
4.Hope to pass, if not friend drives me back.

Now, is rental car not acceptable for behind the wheel test?

I heard that the DMV *might* require you to produce written authorization from the rental company to use its car for the test. If that's the case, I doubt that the major (national) rental companies would be willing to provide that, though you might have some luck with smaller local companies. You probably should call the DMV to clarify.

Btw, if you already possess a valid UK or other foreign driver's license, you won't need to be accompanied while driving. The CA DMV will issue you a temporary license (valid for up to 60 days) that will authorize you to drive while you wait to take the driving test. This is different from the learner's permit issued to new drivers. I know this because I recently went through this process myself.

E3only Jul 2nd 2010 6:23 am

Originally Posted by MidnightLight (Post 8671898)
I heard that the DMV *might* require you to produce written authorization from the rental company to use its car for the test. If that's the case, I doubt that the major (national) rental companies would be willing to provide that, though you might have some luck with smaller local companies. You probably should call the DMV to clarify.

Btw, if you already possess a valid UK or other foreign driver's license, you won't need to be accompanied while driving. The CA DMV will issue you a temporary license (valid for up to 60 days) that will authorize you to drive while you wait to take the driving test. This is different from the learner's permit issued to new drivers. I know this because I recently went through this process myself.

I am going to call DMV coz someone else said the same thing that rental cars might not be viable for the tests. However, someone recommended me to hook up with some driving school for a lesson and then take that car.

I will be heading to DMV and get the 60 days valid license and then hope to clear the road tests soon !!

Thanks

SnoopJohnnyJohn Jul 2nd 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8642069)
we are all products of our environment...I like to swim in circles, make big splashes and put on shows for the tourists:D

Shamu? When did you learn how to type with your giant fins?

SDDep Jul 2nd 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by SnoopJohnnyJohn (Post 8672434)
Shamu? When did you learn how to type with your giant fins?

I have very good fine motor skills..:)

Poppy girl Jul 2nd 2010 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8644957)
THANK YOU!!!

:rofl: We call it San Fran and that we live in Cali never had a problem.

AmerLisa Jul 2nd 2010 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8672948)

Yeah!

The only reason I don't call it Cali more often is it seems so youngish to say that....:o:D

Poppy girl Jul 2nd 2010 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8673029)
Yeah!

The only reason I don't call it Cali more often is it seems so youngish to say that....:o:D

You are right its more of a youngsters term but its just widly by everyone I hear it daily and think nothing of it :)

SDDep Jul 2nd 2010 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8673108)
You are right its more of a youngsters term but its just widly by everyone I hear it daily and think nothing of it :)

Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali....:)

md95065 Jul 2nd 2010 5:18 pm

Who knows if the California DMV offices will even be open by the time that you come to take your test ... :ohmy:

(Yes, folks, it's that time of year again and California is starting its annual budget standoff between the governator, the legislature and just about everyone else ...)

meauxna Jul 2nd 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8672948)

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8673029)
Yeah!

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 8673108)

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8673166)
Cali Cali Cali Cali Cali....:)

Shall we take a poll to see which of the four of us was born there? :D

Birthin' rights, FTW!

SDDep Jul 2nd 2010 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8673369)

Birthin' rights, FTW!

Bah humbug....:D

Sally Redux Jul 2nd 2010 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 8673228)
Who knows if the California DMV offices will even be open by the time that you come to take your test ... :ohmy:

(Yes, folks, it's that time of year again and California is starting its annual budget standoff between the governator, the legislature and just about everyone else ...)

Oh bugger, does that include professors? :unsure:

SDDep Jul 2nd 2010 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8673434)
Oh bugger, does that include professors? :unsure:

they are the first on the chopping block..a.long with the bin men...:D

all joking aside...its despicable when education gets targeted...

Sally Redux Jul 2nd 2010 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8673454)
they are the first on the chopping block..a.long with the bin men...:D

all joking aside...its despicable when education gets targeted...

The bin men aren't state employees. They've already furloughed the teachers here :frown:

Poppy girl Jul 2nd 2010 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8673369)

Birthin' rights, FTW!

Exactly its 2010 not Dinosaur age :rofl: