Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like living in the US?

Does anyone like living in the US?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 2:01 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of
Default Re: Does anyone like living in the US?

Quote; Jumping Doris mentioned the exact location in her post above!

NC Penguin

Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jumping doris
No. My husband is a prosthetist and I gather they are in short supply over there.
You're pulling my leg....

Sorry, I'll get me coat...
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:01 pm
ElsieTheMaid

Originally Posted by Marmitemaniac
Me too!

Me three!!

Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:24 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Vern
You're pulling my leg....

Sorry, I'll get me coat...
Although I've heard that many times it still makes me smile
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:29 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
I live in PA near pittsburgh, and I love it here, house prices do vary somewhat, here a house 2-3 beds would be about $120,000, they will cost more towards the coast I beleive.
There are some area's we go and I still shake my head in dis-beleif at the way people are, i.e. in some area's out in the country they dont undertsand a word i say because im a foreigner! (or so one of them told me) I was only asking for a bottle of water at the time, eventually my wife asked for the water and the server looked at me and said "oh you mean waader"!
In the main I am happy here and I cant see me moving back to England.

As a matter of interest what part of PA are you moving to?
My husband will be working just off east carson street in Pittsburgh and so, on recommendation , we have been looking at Mount Lebanon and Upper Saint Clair as possible places to live. Go on... tell me they are the ghettos of Pittsburgh Does it snow a lot in the winter?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 5:54 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jumping doris
My husband will be working just off east carson street in Pittsburgh and so, on recommendation , we have been looking at Mount Lebanon and Upper Saint Clair as possible places to live. Go on... tell me they are the ghettos of Pittsburgh Does it snow a lot in the winter?
Thay are fairly good areas to be Here is a link for realtor .com I have done the basic search for those 2 areas for you, all you need ot do is use the "modify your search" box on the left of the screen to narrow down to what you want.
When do you plan to move?
(you prob' have already said)
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:48 am
Just Joined

Seafleet will become famous soon enough

Been here a year on Monterey Bay CA and just love the weather.
Housing expensive $350000 for a three bedroom manufactured home but they survive quakes better!!
Experienced first quake a few weeks back lovely rolling motion I was sat on the bog at the time so probably best place if it had turned out to be the big one :-).
You just have to get used to the different attitudes as to Americans view or ignorance of world geography.
Food is good but too plentiful.
Medical care is the big issue compared to the UK there isnt any here unless you can pay for it and I found out today that in my new job I wont get a paid lunch hour!!
One of the things I love is that at age 58 having been unemployed in the North of England for 5 years and told I didnt have to bother to sign on as I wouldnt get a job anyway on receipt of my Green Card[at long bloody last] on Monday I have as of now [Wed evening ] been offered five jobs.
Nothing earth shattering money wise but sufficient for my needs.
Its here if you look is what I like about the USA a far more positive attitude to life in general than the UK I left in Nov 2003.
Keep an open mind and I am sure you will find life is full of pleasent surprises, not least the ones of stunning natural beauty. Yosemite being the nearest to me.
Good Luck
Roger
Old Nov 11th 2004, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

well I love it here... I came over in January of this year to LA, California. LOTS happened since to make things difficult but its calming down now. Things I love most are

Bigger, Better, Faster, More; you want electronics .... they've got ALL of em.. in EVERY size with EVERY contraption. Same with food, clothes, music, games... its just BIG.

City Blocks - how easy does that make driving... I mean.. even if you get lose your way... you STILL aren't lost.

Weather - its CAlifornia, today it was 75degrees and sunny.... perfect.... tonight its 50 degrees and... JUST as perfect but for different reasons.

Friendly people - double edged sword really .. BUT everyone is friendly

Things I don't like

Election - Blah, nuff said.

Totally niave people; "Americans Invented Pizza*", "UK, wow you speak VERY good english for a second language"

Freeways & Driving in general - Scares the SHIT outta me... laws.. WHAT laws...

* yes I know a form of pizza (pizza pie) was invented here
Old Nov 11th 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Seafleet will become famous soon enough

"UK, wow you speak VERY good english for a second language"

Ha Ha dont I just love that.
Here a lot of the adverts a bi-Lingual on account of large legal/Illegal Mexican presence.
Many job applications have the question "Are you Bi Lingual?"
One job I filled in an application for just as practice really I put yes to that question "English and American English"
The guy rang me and offered me the job because he said with a sense of humour like that we would get on fine.
Oh the other thing is Spelling sheesh has my computer had to get used to American English!!
Roger
Old Nov 11th 2004, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seafleet
"UK, wow you speak VERY good english for a second language"

Ha Ha dont I just love that.
Here a lot of the adverts a bi-Lingual on account of large legal/Illegal Mexican presence.
Many job applications have the question "Are you Bi Lingual?"
One job I filled in an application for just as practice really I put yes to that question "English and American English"
The guy rang me and offered me the job because he said with a sense of humour like that we would get on fine.
Oh the other thing is Spelling sheesh has my computer had to get used to American English!!
Roger

Call to manager of apartment complex.....

Me... 'The cupboard door in the lounge has fallen off.'

Manager...'Huh?'

OK won't bore you..... But 15 minutes later after various different explanations without him understanding... I just said... 'Look I have something needs fixing just come to the apartment ok'

I have no idea why but he walked in and said.. 'Oh the closet in the living area' I had used those same words, whilst trying to explain the problem, but obviously not in the right way... Sheesh!!!!

So glad I didn't use the word wonky or knackered though, oh and can you imagine if I said buggered!!!!!... LOL
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:05 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I've been here a year next month (can you believe that?) and I have to say that overall I am very happy to be here. The first 8 months I spent in Arizona and I adored every second of it. It's still one of my favourite places in the world to be and I miss it very much. In July I came to Connecticut and I have to say initially it was very difficult because it's so different here on the East Coast. I'm really starting to settle down now though, and I think by the beginning of the New Year I'll be just fine. It's so beautiful here this time of year, and I love to see the colours of the leaves as they change, and it felt nice experiencing summer turn into autumn and then into winter after having spent all that time in the hot desert. The small towns here are very picturesque and they've just opened a new pedestrianised shopping center here in our town which is really gorgeous. It's nice to be able to walk around outside at night with the music playing gently and lights twinkling on the sidewalk. I love the complete lack of yob culture here and the outdoors here is really lovely.

I went through a wobbly patch about a month ago, and decided to hop on a plane back home for a week. That really worked to get it out of my system and I was actually glad to get back to the US. It's not easy transplanting yourself to a place where everything you've ever known is different. Yes things suck...like having to fork out a fee for a new car license every time you change state, all the stupid paperwork they are obssesed with over here, and the fact that the Plain English Society is obviously an unknown phenomenon. I haven't worked since I got to Connecticut, as the job I came over to I really hated and quit within 3 days. That really shook my confidence and I am very apprehensive about getting another job....something that's never happened to me before. In England I wouldn't have cared but over here everything is so different you're not sure if you breathe that it's the right way. Having said that, it's all worth it to be able to wake up with my partner everyday, something I couldn't do before I got my green card. I'll be staying.
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Duncs
Sorry to be more of party pooper but I don’t like it here very much.

I lived for around 9 months in Jackson Mississippi and I absolutely hated it. I hated the culture, the people, the crappy bland architecture, the Jesus in your face all day crap, oh yes and the racism (its more hidden but its there whatever southern apologist will tell you).

So my wife and I moved to Cambridge MA (I am at graduate school here because even with a UK bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree I still couldn’t even get work selling cars in Mississippi so I figured going back to school might help). Initially I liked it as the difference between here and Mississippi is enormous so it was much better atmosphere to live in. But now the initial joy has worn off and I still find myself deeply unhappy to be in the US. The people around me are a lovely kind interesting group with a variety of interests. I am at Grad school so they are probably not your average crowd and I have enjoyed their company greatly. Even with all this though I am desperate to go home to the UK. Given the option I would leave tomorrow. I deeply regret my choice to come here and my wife has decided that she was also happy in the UK than she has been back ‘home’ so it suits neither one of us. I could not recommend to anyone that they come here. This is very much a ‘foreign’ country its value are different, its society is different, its economic and cultural norms are different and none of them attract me. They are some ups, in some places you can get a bigger home if that’s what matters to you but not in the cities. Boston has a low crime rate for a large US city but they are not all as clean and pleasant.

All in all if you come here because you have clear idea of what the US can offer you and the issues of social justice, fairness, and cultural values don’t mater to you more than sq ft in your rural home then you will likely love it.

Personally I am desperately trying to use the name brand of my ridculoulsy expensive US grad school degree to get me home to the UK and I would never come back. The only thing keeping me here is money (lack of) if I had the money to go home and clear my US student debts I would go at the drop of a hat.

Sorry to be a downer but there you go.

I'm with you on this one - I hate living here and only the lack of funds is preventing my return to Scotland - US = Hell!
Old Nov 11th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immunise
I'm with you on this one - I hate living here and only the lack of funds is preventing my return to Scotland - US = Hell!
how did you get here? isn't there something in the legalese of most VISA's that say the company you work for should reloate you BACK where you came from ?
Old Nov 11th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by immunise
Auld Reekie will give you a big welcome back...maybe just in time for the Hogmanay party in Princes Street Gardens...it was spoiled by a wind storm last year

It's a wee bit chilly here right now but a wee dram will cure that

Cheers from Corstorphine

Old Nov 12th 2004, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

immunise is on a distinguished road

I self funded.......

How I wish I could be back to Auld Reekie (well, Balerno) and sanity....come on July he he!!!

By the way, the Tesco in Corstorphine is better than ANY supermarket I have been in here...!! That was a HUGE shock to me!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.