Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like living in the US?

Does anyone like living in the US?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:19 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone like living in the US?

Originally Posted by Yosser
I'm staying, if that makes you feel any better

Sadly there are alot of Brits that come over thinking the grass is greener and all that bollocks. You reap what you sow really! if you have loads of family, have health problems or tend to get homesick whilst on a 3 day camping holiday to the Devon, then it may be a big mistake.

If you love taking life by its hairy gonads, taking the piss out of yanks, arguing over George W, eating excessive amounts of food, enjoying different climates, driving gas guzzeling cars, living in "southfork" sized homes, earning a "decent" wage, and enjoy sports, then please come over as you will love it here as many of us do!
Yes. Can't wait to get my hands on the gonads.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:21 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I was having a bit of a wobble this morning after reading all the moans Having to wait until next year gives too much time to think. At least when we finally arrive I can post my US moans here
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Is this another BAE move?
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Can't wait to get my hands on the gonads.

:scared: :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I'm staying, if that makes you feel any better

<<snip>>
If you love taking life by its hairy gonads, taking the piss out of yanks, arguing over George W, eating excessive amounts of food, enjoying different climates, driving gas guzzeling cars, living in "southfork" sized homes, earning a "decent" wage, and enjoy sports, then please come over as you will love it here as many of us do!
Sports in the US encompasses many things BTW.

This includes American football, ice hockey, hunting (as in shooting animals), competitive eating, harrassing non-WASPs and taking the mickey out of liberals.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

I thought it would be good here, and it's even better than I ever thought it would be.

I'm not planning on returning to the UK....
Old Nov 9th 2004, 4:51 pm
warksgirl

I agree with the various points that people have made in their posts so far, so I won't reiterate...

Here are my personal feelings to add to what's already been said:

We will be staying here (my husband is American). Overall, we are happy and enjoy the life we have made for ourselves. Our kids are happy; we live in a very nice neighbourhood that is full of families with children. It's great for the kids.

Despite travelling here on hols, living here was different, and it took me time to adjust. I suffered from culture shock. And yes, there are days that things still get on top of me; I'm afraid I just have to have a moan about it when I feel fed up. I think this is natural which is why finding a forum like this is good because you realise that most people here have made the same adjustments, observations, etc.

Good luck and keep in touch here.

Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:52 pm
Banned

cdandi will become famous soon enoughcdandi will become famous soon enough

I've lived in New York for 6 years. Prior to that lived in Australia for 19 years and 5 years in Spain. I love it here and feel that this is home.

Good luck.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

The US is great! I move with the company doing everything which was a very big help. Have always loved it here for holidays etc, have been here 6 weeks in Dallas and loving - not ready to go back yet. Sure there are things you miss, and things that annoy you - but come on is everything perfect at home? Like others have said its what you make it and the attitude you bring. There are lots of moans on the site cos its easier to find things that are different and we all need to let off steam with others in the same boat! Lets face it we are all here and could go back if we really wanted to!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warksgirl
Despite travelling here on hols, living here was different, and it took me time to adjust. I suffered from culture shock.
Oh. Glad to hear last week is over for you then
Old Nov 9th 2004, 6:53 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Sorry to be more of party pooper but I don’t like it here very much.

I lived for around 9 months in Jackson Mississippi and I absolutely hated it. I hated the culture, the people, the crappy bland architecture, the Jesus in your face all day crap, oh yes and the racism (its more hidden but its there whatever southern apologist will tell you).

So my wife and I moved to Cambridge MA (I am at graduate school here because even with a UK bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree I still couldn’t even get work selling cars in Mississippi so I figured going back to school might help). Initially I liked it as the difference between here and Mississippi is enormous so it was much better atmosphere to live in. But now the initial joy has worn off and I still find myself deeply unhappy to be in the US. The people around me are a lovely kind interesting group with a variety of interests. I am at Grad school so they are probably not your average crowd and I have enjoyed their company greatly. Even with all this though I am desperate to go home to the UK. Given the option I would leave tomorrow. I deeply regret my choice to come here and my wife has decided that she was also happy in the UK than she has been back ‘home’ so it suits neither one of us. I could not recommend to anyone that they come here. This is very much a ‘foreign’ country its value are different, its society is different, its economic and cultural norms are different and none of them attract me. They are some ups, in some places you can get a bigger home if that’s what matters to you but not in the cities. Boston has a low crime rate for a large US city but they are not all as clean and pleasant.

All in all if you come here because you have clear idea of what the US can offer you and the issues of social justice, fairness, and cultural values don’t mater to you more than sq ft in your rural home then you will likely love it.

Personally I am desperately trying to use the name brand of my ridculoulsy expensive US grad school degree to get me home to the UK and I would never come back. The only thing keeping me here is money (lack of) if I had the money to go home and clear my US student debts I would go at the drop of a hat.

Sorry to be a downer but there you go.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:08 pm
warksgirl

Oh. Glad to hear last week is over for you then
Too right!

I got really excited when I found this site, and let it all loose! Poor everybody who had to listen to me!!!!

:scared:

I guess it points the "sometimes you have bad days..." scenario...

Old Nov 9th 2004, 7:19 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncs
All in all if you come here because you have clear idea of what the US can offer you and the issues of social justice, fairness, and cultural values don’t mater to you more than sq ft in your rural home then you will likely love it.
Hmmm. Duncs has his opinion, and he's entitled to it. Poor guy - he went to Mississippi and will never be the same again. Never been to Cambridge MA, but the people I've met from there are also "interesting".

I didn't come here for square footage on my house. To be honest, I'd often rather live in an apartment anyway. Issues of social justice, fairness and cultural values differ hugely depending on where you are in the US. I've usually been surrounded by people with whom I broadly agree, despite the fact that I rarely agree with those who get themselves elected.

Duncs, I hope that you find your way back. And I hope even more that the other side of the pond is everything you remember. It may surprise you yet.
Old Nov 9th 2004, 8:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Definately gotta take the smooth with the rough and keeps your eyes open, there's lots of pros and cons to either country, so it's all fine having the greener grass just as long as you realise that there'll still be the weeds and all that.

It's an experience whether you end up liking it or not and it'll make you a better person for it and certainly make you appreciate things a lot more.

Having said that, I'd just wish the shite threatening weather would just get on with it and dump the snow and be done with it *l*
Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Does anyone like living in the US?

You reap what you sow. I married my American lady 2.5 years ago when I was 65. All my family are in the UK and they are only 5 cents/minute phone call away (can be had for 2.5cents if I changed) . Had no problem making friends. I like the life style and would not swap the weather for the UK. We are all individuals so what maybe good for the goose may not be good for the gander.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.