Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Does anyone like living in the US?

Does anyone like living in the US?

Old Nov 9th 2004, 9:46 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone like living in the US?

I was just going to keep quiet... but since Duncs opened up 'the other side', I guess I'll give my opinion. You should have a balanced view anyway. I have been here since my parents came over many years ago. I am not happy here. I am going back to England and I cant wait. I know it will not be what I remember, and I know the weather can be miserable. I also know that I will take a plunge financially due to exchange rate. But thats not what I'm going home for. It is a different world here and you can be quite happy if the particular things you are looking for are here. You have to accept the culture here and way of life. The weather and a bigger home and other such things are nice extras if you like the life here. But if you dont and you prefer the British culture, then all those extras cannot make you happy. The novelty of sunshine, bigger homes, and being in 'America' does wear off. Then you'll know if you want to stay here or go home. Good luck. It's good to be aware of things good and bad, But your own heart has to be the one to decide at the end of the day. So if you have the oppportunity you should give it a try. It doesnt have to be permanent.
OK enough rambling ... sorry!
Old Nov 9th 2004, 10:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll be staying, although you will hear me moan about some things.

But I have a much better standard of living than I did in the UK, plus I found the wonder that is..... iHop, pancakes all round.

-tom
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:02 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

I think a lot of it will depend on where you're living and the standard of living you have in that place.

I recently moved from North Carolina where I struggled to find any kind of meaningful work and was pretty unhappy there.

I have since moved to Massachusetts, am living just outside Boston in an interesting area which looks more like home and definitely has a feel of the UK as far as having everything close by, pedestrianised town centres, etc. The money is better and so our standard of living should improve. At the moment I'm happier here, will I stay that way? Time will tell........
Old Nov 9th 2004, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
it's 38 degrees F here.
Midnight in Edinburgh : 9/10 Nov 04 : +4.1C (39.4F in old dosh)
Wind: NNW Force 2 Pressure: 1013mb
Relative Humidity: 88%
Forecast: Freshening North Westerly winds Force 4/5
Occasional rain showers especially in west and north (snow on Cairngorms above 300m)
Maximum temp Wed 10 Nov: +8C Min: +3C
Colder by weekend with Northerly winds but dry and sunny in eastern areas of Scotland. Max temp: +5C Min: -2C

Just in case you thought of popping over for a bannock or two with a wee dram!

Old Nov 10th 2004, 12:53 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoB1833
I think a lot of it will depend on where you're living and the standard of living you have in that place.
Totally. There are a lot of misconceptions that the US is all massive houses and great weather. Here we're having record low temps and it's freezing. Way colder than anything I ever experienced in London and it's only November! We've got a good six months of this before I can dust off my t-shirts.

House prices vary hugely. In my area $400k will get you a very modest 2-3 bed house. For a 4 bed already fixed up place you're looking at upwards of $500k and you'd be lucky to find something for that. Add in high utility bills and property taxes and you're really no better off than in England.

The upside of living in the East Coast is that it's just a short commuter plane ride to somewhere warmer, so vacation time and budget allowing it's possible to escape the miserable cold. I'm planning at least three getaways this winter which really are the only thing keeping me going.

Bitching about the weather aside, there are aspects of life here I like but I definately wouldn't have made the move had it not been for my American husband.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I love it here. Been here 16 months and haven't felt homesick or missed anything about Britain at all, other than the obvious friends and family, and thats not because I didn't like living there at all. I was very happy. And its not the material things like a bigger house or the cost of a pair of jeans or whatever. Yes I do drive a brand new car, but its only Focus and I did trade in a one bedroom apartment for a bigger house, but I rent now where as I did own. I also make less money than I did in the U.K. and have far less responsability(sp) than my previous job. I've just tried to take full advantage of my new surroundings instead of sitting back and complaining about how different or wrong this country is.

You could have 20 people tell you why not to move here and 20 people telling you why you should. In the long run, it doesn't really matter if you yourself are not fully prepared and commited to making the most of your new life here instead of complaining about not being able to read the Sun or drinking PG Tips or the first piece of Americana that doesn't quite fill you with joy.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
At the risk of offending some resident posters, you'll probably recognize that any time you get an expatriate community together within another country you're going to hear a whole lot of bitching and whining. They'll always talk about the things they miss and the things that are not right in their new country of residence beacuse they have an audience that understands their backgrounds and is sympathetic to their needs. If Brits run out to their American friends and start complaining about these things, they'll likely not be too welcome. Here we all have a forum to let off some steam.
Well said!

Ash
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Also, they make really good ice cream.
Yeap...make sure Edy's is one of the first things on your shopping list.

Ash
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I moved here 2 years ago (married to a yank) anyhow I always said I would go back to the UK if anything should happen to my husband (or our marriage). I have been back to the UK 3 times now and with each visit I have felt it is less likely I will move back.

Ash
Old Nov 10th 2004, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

I live in a fantastic part of the US.

The first great thing about it is that everyone is hysterically stupid. This is not an "Americans are dumb" tirade -- I know enough of them to know that stereotype is nonsense. But the thing about where I live is that it's true! I treat everyone like I would treat a four year old; and they appreciate that.

The second great thing about where I live is that it has a wonderfully diverse third-world flavour. Imagine Lagos, but with 0% financing! It's the same charming chaos you grew to love on that gap year "finding yourself," except with Lincoln Navigators and 20" rims.

Speaking of rims, the third great thing about where I live is that the biggest store in town is "House of rims." All the cars on the Cadillac dealer's lot already have pimpin' rims fitted; no need for the expense of a custom job, and you get the rims included at 0% financing...unless, of course, you are one of the 99.9999999% that don't qualify for the advertised 0% financing, but that's no problem, they can hook you up with a sub-prime 31% loan in a heartbeat.

Yeah, life is good.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:17 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Is this another BAE move?
No. My husband is a prosthetist and I gather they are in short supply over there.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:29 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callë
I was just going to keep quiet... but since Duncs opened up 'the other side', I guess I'll give my opinion. You should have a balanced view anyway. I have been here since my parents came over many years ago. I am not happy here. I am going back to England and I cant wait. I know it will not be what I remember, and I know the weather can be miserable. I also know that I will take a plunge financially due to exchange rate. But thats not what I'm going home for. It is a different world here and you can be quite happy if the particular things you are looking for are here. You have to accept the culture here and way of life. The weather and a bigger home and other such things are nice extras if you like the life here. But if you dont and you prefer the British culture, then all those extras cannot make you happy. The novelty of sunshine, bigger homes, and being in 'America' does wear off. Then you'll know if you want to stay here or go home. Good luck. It's good to be aware of things good and bad, But your own heart has to be the one to decide at the end of the day. So if you have the oppportunity you should give it a try. It doesnt have to be permanent.
OK enough rambling ... sorry!
I hope you get back to the UK and it is all you expect. I hope the USA is all I expect
I live in the NW of England, by the beach except it is so dirty you would never put a toe in the water but it is very beautiful and I will miss it. I can see the sea from my windows. I won't miss the yob culture here in my town. Every morning when I take my youngest to school we step over piles of vomit and worse. The council rarely clean the streets and the dustmen make more mess than they clear. All the bus shelters are regularly vandalised and we cannot travel on the local trains at night for fear of being mugged. My husband hasn't had a pay rise for 3 years and the cost of living is huge.
My sister in law lives in the south with less problems but a much higher cost of living. And the government........don't get me started I expect to have similar issues over there, but my husband will have a better job with better prospects (we hope). My eldest daughter will be 16 years old when we come so I hope she settles.She is looking forward to it so fingers crossed.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:59 am
Who?

Originally Posted by RoB1833

I recently moved from North Carolina where I struggled to find any kind of meaningful work and was pretty unhappy there.

I have since moved to Massachusetts, am living just outside Boston in an interesting area which looks more like home and definitely has a feel of the UK as far as having everything close by, pedestrianised town centres, etc. The money is better and so our standard of living should improve. At the moment I'm happier here, will I stay that way? Time will tell........
Originally we hoped to go somewhere hot and my husbands new company have vacancies all over the US. We were tempted by the weather in Alabama and Florida until the hurricanes struck!!!! But the company have been very helpful and said that we could find life in the deep south difficult to adjust to and they felt we would settle better in Pennsylvania. We will be going to Pittsburgh. I havn't been yet but husband has and loved it. It helps that the people he will work with have been really kind and their wives have emailed and offered all sorts of hospitality and help.They have arranged for us to meet other British people who will be able to explain some of the ropes . And the weather.... I was a bit put off by the prospect of snow but my children can't wait and at least we should get proper seasons which I love.
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:14 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

I live in PA near pittsburgh, and I love it here, house prices do vary somewhat, here a house 2-3 beds would be about $120,000, they will cost more towards the coast I beleive.
There are some area's we go and I still shake my head in dis-beleif at the way people are, i.e. in some area's out in the country they dont undertsand a word i say because im a foreigner! (or so one of them told me) I was only asking for a bottle of water at the time, eventually my wife asked for the water and the server looked at me and said "oh you mean waader"!
In the main I am happy here and I cant see me moving back to England.

As a matter of interest what part of PA are you moving to?
Old Nov 10th 2004, 1:58 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
<<snip>>

As a matter of interest what part of PA are you moving to?
Jumping Doris mentioned the exact location in her post above!

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.