British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Disillusioned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/disillusioned-675676/)

Hubcaps Aug 17th 2010 12:27 am

Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 8781658)
This makes me NUTS! People ask me "where in London are you from?" When I explain that I have only been to London 3 times in my life, they look at me like I have 2 heads.

I have been asked if I'm from Australia (once) but most people here don't ask or if they do it's because they studied in the UK or have relatives there. I always tell them "near Liverpool"...everyone's heard of The Beatles right?

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2010 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8781794)
I have been asked if I'm from Australia (once) but most people here don't ask or if they do it's because they studied in the UK or have relatives there. I always tell them "near Liverpool"...everyone's heard of The Beatles right?

Liverpool...that's what we say...well it's near Chester right?

Sally Redux Aug 17th 2010 12:52 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 8781658)
This makes me NUTS! People ask me "where in London are you from?" When I explain that I have only been to London 3 times in my life, they look at me like I have 2 heads.

London, England and Britain are interchangeable terms. I'm not sure if they think the country is called London or that London covers the whole area.

Recent conversation: "Didn't you go to London this year?" - "No" - "Oh well I've never met anyone with anything good to say about it. I've heard it's expensive, the food is terrible and it's full of people who don't look like us." :rolleyes:

In fairness, another American standing nearby did say they thought a cultural mix was a good thing.

Hubcaps Aug 17th 2010 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8781834)
Liverpool...that's what we say...well it's near Chester right?

It's close enough for them :D
I'm from Wrexham(ish), went to school in Chester and spent my final few years in the UK in Northwich. My husband worked in Liverpool so I don't feel too bad saying it :D

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2010 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8781865)
It's close enough for them :D
I'm from Wrexham(ish), went to school in Chester and spent my final few years in the UK in Northwich. My husband worked in Liverpool so I don't feel too bad saying it :D

Noooooo...we lived in Rossett!! There another member who used to live just by the Llay roundabout...he doesn't post on here very much now though.

My daughter went to The Firs School in Chester. My husband worked in The 'Pool for a few years too...then moved to the Manchester office.

Hubcaps Aug 17th 2010 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8781927)
Noooooo...we lived in Rossett!! There another member who used to live just by the Llay roundabout...he doesn't post on here very much now though.

My daughter went to The Firs School in Chester. My husband worked in The 'Pool for a few years too...then moved to the Manchester office.

I went to Queens :o A long long time ago though.
I used to enjoy a lovely pint of Burtonwood in Rossett. Was it the Butchers Arms? I'm from a small village the other side of Wrexham, called Llanfynydd.

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2010 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8781939)
I went to Queens :o A long long time ago though.
I used to enjoy a lovely pint of Burtonwood in Rossett. Was it the Butchers Arms? I'm from a small village the other side of Wrexham, called Llanfynydd.

My daughter had a place at Queens (age 11)...she should have entered Sept 1996 but we moved here in June 1996.

Butcher's Arms...yes I know it but we used to go to Churton's. They were lived across the road from us and our kids when to the same school.

Hubcaps Aug 17th 2010 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8781959)
My daughter had a place at Queens (age 11)...she should have entered Sept 1996 but we moved here in June 1996.

Butcher's Arms...yes I know it but we used to go to Churton's. They were lived across the road from us and our kids when to the same school.

Churtons rings a bell. Was there a Golden Lion too? I'm sure the daughters from the GL went to Queens same time as me. I started off there at Needham House and then went to the senior school. I'm going to google them now, would be interesting to see what they're like these days.

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2010 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8782020)
Churtons rings a bell. Was there a Golden Lion too? I'm sure the daughters from the GL went to Queens same time as me. I started off there at Needham House and then went to the senior school. I'm going to google them now, would be interesting to see what they're like these days.

The Golden Lion is on the opposite side of the road.

What years were you at Queens? Some of my daughter's best childhood friends went there during the 90's.

I remember going to see the Principal to explain why we were turning my daughter's place down (can't remember her name but she's now retired). She said living in the US would be a great experience/opportunity for her and that she would keep a place open for her if we returned to the UK.

Edit: Churton's was the steak/wine bar almost next to the Butcher's Arms.

Hubcaps Aug 17th 2010 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8782038)
The Golden Lion is on the opposite side of the road.

What years were you at Queens? Some of my daughter's best childhood friends went there during the 90's.

I remember going to see the Principal to explain why we were turning my daughter's place down (can't remember her name but she's now retired). She said living in the US would be a great experience/opportunity for her and that she would keep a place open for her if we returned to the UK.

I started there in 1976 (Needham House) and went to the senior school in 1978. Jane Chowen was head at NH and Miss Farah (I cant remember her given name) at the senior school.

I'm old :(

Jerseygirl Aug 17th 2010 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8782042)
I started there in 1976 (Needham House) and went to the senior school in 1978. Jane Chowen was head at NH and Miss Farah (I cant remember her given name) at the senior school.

I'm old :(

Non of those names ring a bell I'm afraid...but I'll find out who was the Principle during the 90's. The Firs School was well known as the 'feeder school' to Queens.

I often wonder what my daughter would be doing now if we'd stayed in the UK. What did you do after Queens? We can take this to PM if you wish.

Small world huh?

dbark Aug 17th 2010 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8685028)
Hi folks, been a long time since I've been to these here parts! Some of the older farts might remember that I came here 7 years ago to work as a nurse. Well, I still am and I've been in Connecticut for 6 years now, after a year in Arizona. I know I'm one of the lucky ones as I have good job, earn more money than I've ever earned in my life, have a beautiful house that I could never afford the like of in England, and yet....I'm miserable.

Of late I have really been feeling the differences between the UK and the USA. This is not meant as a criticism of the American people, but really deep down, anyone who has been here for any length of time will tell you...its just different. Here in the NorthEast I find people so utterly fake. I have tried to make friends but I find that time after time I am let down so badly that I don't even want to try anymore. I've always been a very open and genuine person and it upsets me so much when I give of myself only to discover that people really never gave a shit about me to start with. I have tried to analyze what it is that lets this happen but when I compare to how things were back home it's so off the charts it doesn't compare. The only real friends I have are all in England. Those are the people whom I have known for many years and are like family to me. Every friend I ever made from the age of 15 I am still friends with, and yet I simply can't make friends here in the US. I find that Americans really don't get that involved, at least not to my experience.

I find that people completely misunderstand me. When I try to be funny they look blankly at me, when I try to be polite they think I'm rude etc etc. It's so frustrating! When I finally let my guard down and start to trust someone, guaranteed they &^%$ me right up the you know what! It's making me very sad.

At home, you can just sit down and have a cup of tea and a laugh with someone, but here I feel everything is so forced, and you have to watch what you say all the time because people take offense so easily. I never seem to fit in and I don't often understand the humour. I long to be able to relax and just have a good ol' natter like I did in England.

I get tired of the fakeness, the competitiveness, the endless comments about my accent and why do they always think I'm Australian??? I've been here 7 years and never met a single Australian. England is just across the ocean but it would never occur to anyone that I'm English!! If one more person says "oh gee, I just love your accent" I'm going to scream! I'm tired of the crap food, the horrible grocery stores, the crappy driving, the selfishness of everyone. My job is high stress and very competitive, and find that people rip you to shreds at the very first opportunity. I'm becoming a nervous wreck. For the first time in 7 years I really feel like going home. /rant.

Hello Rockgurl, as one of the old farts, I also remember you. Sorry you've had such a rough time. Sometimes I think it's the luck of the draw, whether you meet genuinely good friends or not. I was somewhat miserable for the first four years I was here. Some pretty terrible (family) issues arose and in the end I decided I have to make something happen for myself. Maybe it was luck, or sheer determination but I decided to join an exercise group and it all took off from there. I met some wonderful friends, lost weight - life was good again! Then my husband's firm closed down that location and re-located us 300 miles away. Ugh! Yes, it's a nice enough place, but it's so difficult to start all over again trying to find like-minded people. There is a British group here who are very friendly. But it's hard to step in to an established group and have close friends - I don't have the history with them, plus with working full time, I am unable to attend many of their get-togethers. So I do sympathise.

Then this June we had a very sad event (my stepson was killed in Iraq) and once again I am feeling lonely and unsure about everything.

Hoping things will get better for you Rockgurl, as I'm sure they will for me.

Nutmegger Aug 17th 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbark (Post 8783460)

Then this June we had a very sad event (my stepson was killed in Iraq) and once again I am feeling lonely and unsure about everything.

So very sorry about your loss. The son of one of my best friends was in the service in Iraq (thank the Lord he came home safely) and I remember how she was on edge day in day out all the time he was there.

However, your comment about not feeling particularly close with the people in the British group illustrates that it is not just nationality that makes it difficult to make friends here at times. The same thing could happen if one moved from -- say -- Inverness to London.