British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Disillusioned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/disillusioned-675676/)

Burn1911 Jul 15th 2010 1:01 am

Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8702356)
Is that where Oregon is?

I just always referred to it as that weird state north of even weirder Northern CA...:)

what's WA then - extreme weird!!!:D

JayBowyer Jul 15th 2010 1:51 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8702327)
Far be it from me to call de Briddish rude, but I'm American and I got the same thing from your countrymen when I was living overseas. My Brit DH would get a version of it too.. you just have your party piece answer and cut it short if you want to keep your sanity.

Hi, I'm meauxna, I'm from Oregon. It's the one above California. :rolleyes:

It's a way people have of expressing their interest in you. Doesn't make it any more/less annoying to know that, but there you go. :)

Yeah - hi Meaxuna - I'm another version of JayJay from the VisaJourney forum, so you know me already I reckon ;) And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!! :D

augigi Jul 15th 2010 2:45 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8700022)
Oh wow, that's great! That's exactly the path I want to take. Did you already have a BSN or are you doing the RN/BSN to MSN?

I had a 3yr bachelor degree in nursing from Australia, and had also done 2 yrs postgrad.

How long do you think it will take you and how often do you go to school (or are you doing it online). Are you able to work full time during clinicals?
It's going to take me 3-4 years, but I had 3 semesters off recently due to personal circumstances, and I am doing very part time as I work full-time on a working visa (so have to maintain my job). Usually takes 2-4 yrs depending on how many classes you take at one time.

I am very lucky that my boss is awesome, and totally works around my needs. Up until now, I've just had theory/lab classes (patho, stats, ethics, EBP etc) so classes have been 4-8 one night a week, for example. The school is over the road so I used to run across after work.

As of next semester, I have clinical 1 day a week from 8-4 then class 4-6, so I will be working 4 x 10hrs instead of 5 x 8's. I'll worry about the next clinical block when it happens!

What kind of things are you doing in your MSN? Are you able to choose a particular field? I want to either do Critical Care or specifically Gynae, but I want to specialize in Endometriosis without doing the Obstetrics part and I don't know if I'll be able to do that.
Specialty depends totally on the school. My school has FNP, PNP, ACNP etc. I am not interested in primary/office care, so I am doing ACNP. That qualifies you to care for "acutely ill" people ie. hospitalized.

We do then have the option of one of their subspecialties or you can make your own. I am doing cardiac; you can do critical care, trauma, oncology etc at my uni.

You might want to look at the womens health ones and do ACNP certificate post-masters if you can't find one that meets your needs. The other thing is to do your clinicals in the areas you want to work - if you do ACNP, and can find a floor that looks after gyne patients for one of your chosen clinicals, then you can work in that area.

How long did you study for your CCRN? It took me 3 months to do my CDN and I'm just getting all my study material together for the CCRN. I am thinking about 6 months. Is that realistic?
Heaps. I took it pretty soon after I got there, maybe a month after. If you've worked critical care for any length of time, it's not really hard. I do understand they've changed it recently though. I used (and HIGHLY recommend) the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review tapes - I put it in my car and her tips were very close to the exam.

Sorry for the essay!

annmarie19 Jul 15th 2010 2:47 am

I could have written that post myself, lol. Also a nurse, sick of the heat at this time of year in Florida. I have been here 16 years, alone for the last 6, have some friends, but the ones I made at work I have learned the hard way to be cautious with, I swear politics and back stabbing seems to be a career strategy in my current job. Also had some health probs lately, made me realize how important it is to have decent mates. The accent thing, well, most of the time I take it well, even if having the same conversation 6 times a day does get a bit tedious. I think as you get older friendships in general just are harder to come by. Have no illusions that it would be much different at home, old friends have married, had kids, work long hours. Ah well. Nice to know you have company in your homesickness!

Nutmegger Jul 15th 2010 2:01 pm

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8702208]It's not EVERYONE I get annoyed with though, you see - I don't for example get annoyed if it's asked in the natural course of a conversation, or if I've known the person for a while. I've had a few happy convos with people as a result of "the" question too.
/QUOTE]

This bit made me smile -- you can know someone for a while before they broach the ugly question of where you come from? They must be bursting with curiosity by then!:)

Originally Posted by JayBowyer (Post 8702498)
And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!! :D

Unfortunately, what you said about "Some days I can't even bring myself to respond" in your earlier post did come across as rather churlish!

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8702327)
you just have your party piece answer and cut it short if you want to keep your sanity.

Hi, I'm meauxna, I'm from Oregon. It's the one above California. :rolleyes:

It's a way people have of expressing their interest in you. Doesn't make it any more/less annoying to know that, but there you go. :)

That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on!

Chatsworth Jul 15th 2010 2:10 pm

That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on![/QUOTE]

I find too that moving on can be greatly helped by asking questions in return, instead of just fielding them. Ask your questioner where they are from, if they've ever been to the UK, whether they are locals, whatever. You might be surprised then by the things you have in common, rather than irritated by the questions they ask.

Despite what I said in an earlier post about not necessarily wanting to live in the States, I do try to make the most of it, and being interested and responsive helps a lot.

JayBowyer Jul 15th 2010 2:46 pm

[QUOTE=Nutmegger;8703493]

Originally Posted by JayBowyer (Post 8702208)
It's not EVERYONE I get annoyed with though, you see - I don't for example get annoyed if it's asked in the natural course of a conversation, or if I've known the person for a while. I've had a few happy convos with people as a result of "the" question too.
/QUOTE]

This bit made me smile -- you can know someone for a while before they broach the ugly question of where you come from? They must be bursting with curiosity by then!:)

Unfortunately, what you said about "Some days I can't even bring myself to respond" in your earlier post did come across as rather churlish!

That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on!

Well, thankfully I wasn't actually 100% serious here... It's not like I'm going to actually walk off and leave someone hanging. Maybe I should have rephrased that as "some days I don't feel like responding."

Unfortunately at this stage I now feel more unwelcome in this forum than "out there" so I think I'll just stop talking now. Sadly I'm not an "old timer" - I have very few posts to my name and it seems one can't write in an animated manner here and be a newbie without being...well, quite frankly attacked, really. So I'm off. Best stick to people who actually ARE interested in getting to know me.

SDDep Jul 15th 2010 2:50 pm

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8703587]

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 8703493)

Well, thankfully I wasn't actually 100% serious here... It's not like I'm going to actually walk off and leave someone hanging. Maybe I should have rephrased that as "some days I don't feel like responding."

Unfortunately at this stage I now feel more unwelcome in this forum than "out there" so I think I'll just stop talking now. Sadly I'm not an "old timer" - I have very few posts to my name and it seems one can't write in an animated manner here and be a newbie without being...well, quite frankly attacked, really. So I'm off. Best stick to people who actually ARE interested in getting to know me.

Now come on....dont paint everyone with the same brush...

Some people just roll out of bed on the wrong side...give it a bit longer...

Nutmegger Jul 15th 2010 3:16 pm

Er, are the quotes getting mixed up? SDDep's quote above makes it look as if I said something that JayBower said!

To Jay, glad to hear you weren't serious -- but read what you wrote again, it certainly didn't sound too tongue in cheek! It's one of the joys of the Internet, trying to get across the feel of what is in your head on paper, and getting it to come out right. And I did stress that any comments about accentphobia weren't aimed at you, but at the general trend of being unhappy about origin questions. So hang around and find something to give someone a hard time about.:)

meauxna Jul 15th 2010 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Burn1911 (Post 8702413)
what's WA then - extreme weird!!!:D

No, they seemed to know that one.. "Microsoft" or "Nirvana". aka 'Below Canada" :D

SDDep Jul 15th 2010 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 8703644)
Er, are the quotes getting mixed up? SDDep's quote above makes it look as if I said something that JayBower said!

To Jay, glad to hear you weren't serious -- but read what you wrote again, it certainly didn't sound too tongue in cheek! It's one of the joys of the Internet, trying to get across the feel of what is in your head on paper, and getting it to come out right. And I did stress that any comments about accentphobia weren't aimed at you, but at the general trend of being unhappy about origin questions. So hang around and find something to give someone a hard time about.:)

Whoopsie...my bad...not quoting you...dont know how that happened..:banghead:

meauxna Jul 15th 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by JayBowyer (Post 8702498)
Yeah - hi Meaxuna - I'm another version of JayJay from the VisaJourney forum, so you know me already I reckon ;) And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!! :D

Well hellllo! :D
I can definitely attest to the fact that you are not evil, rude, mean and that you ARE worth getting to know! It's really nice to 'see' you again Jay, and I hope all is going well. :)

I dunno, I guess it was just the topic that pushed *my* buttons when I read it. And, this hardly seems the topic for your sharp fingers and excellent sense of humor; I hope you will stick around for more than just a moan. :)

Sally Redux Jul 15th 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8703654)

You quoted a previously-****ed-up quote :lol:

SDDep Jul 15th 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8703771)
You quoted a previously-****ed-up quote :lol:

I havent quite figured out the multi-quoting thingymajiggy..whatchamaccalit...:confused:

Bill_S Jul 15th 2010 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SDDep (Post 8703654)

Looks like a clear case of Willmore's Malady...

don't go walking on foggy beaches or it will become permanent.

Rockgurl Jul 16th 2010 11:54 pm

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8703587]

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 8703493)

Well I happened to agree with you, and what you said was very well put. You sound like a super person to me, and I think we'd have fun having a larf over a cup of tea and discussing some real issues. Cheers!

http://www.veryicon.com/icon/preview...fee%20Icon.jpg

Rockgurl Jul 17th 2010 12:01 am

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 8702562)
I had a 3yr bachelor degree in nursing from Australia, and had also done 2 yrs postgrad.

It's going to take me 3-4 years, but I had 3 semesters off recently due to personal circumstances, and I am doing very part time as I work full-time on a working visa (so have to maintain my job). Usually takes 2-4 yrs depending on how many classes you take at one time.

I am very lucky that my boss is awesome, and totally works around my needs. Up until now, I've just had theory/lab classes (patho, stats, ethics, EBP etc) so classes have been 4-8 one night a week, for example. The school is over the road so I used to run across after work.

As of next semester, I have clinical 1 day a week from 8-4 then class 4-6, so I will be working 4 x 10hrs instead of 5 x 8's. I'll worry about the next clinical block when it happens!

Specialty depends totally on the school. My school has FNP, PNP, ACNP etc. I am not interested in primary/office care, so I am doing ACNP. That qualifies you to care for "acutely ill" people ie. hospitalized.

We do then have the option of one of their subspecialties or you can make your own. I am doing cardiac; you can do critical care, trauma, oncology etc at my uni.

You might want to look at the womens health ones and do ACNP certificate post-masters if you can't find one that meets your needs. The other thing is to do your clinicals in the areas you want to work - if you do ACNP, and can find a floor that looks after gyne patients for one of your chosen clinicals, then you can work in that area.

Heaps. I took it pretty soon after I got there, maybe a month after. If you've worked critical care for any length of time, it's not really hard. I do understand they've changed it recently though. I used (and HIGHLY recommend) the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review tapes - I put it in my car and her tips were very close to the exam.

Sorry for the essay!

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! It will probably take me longer as I don't have my BSN yet so I'd have to do the both together. That's ok though...I'm not going anywhere. What's Stats and Ethics like? Is it hard? Deathly boring? I just have images of my eyes glazing over! I've even heard of some courses making you take religion, and I fail to see how that has anything to do with my job! ACNP sounds right up my street. I will surely investigate that. I have spent my entire 20 year career working in major university hospitals in large metropolitan areas. I love acute care.

Thanks, I actually just bought the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review DVDs! They have had such a great reputation. I also ordered the Pass CCRN book which I heard is excellent. I'm giving myself plenty of time so I can ease into it. I have 6 years Critical Care background and I start my new CICU job in a week and a half, so I'll need to get acclimatised to that too. Thanks for all the info! Maybe I'll bug you for more info in the future! :sneaky:

SagenOnion Jul 17th 2010 12:01 am

OK...who the hell is leaving here? :confused:

Wilmore would have been proud of this lot.

Sally Redux Jul 17th 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 8707273)
OK...who the hell is leaving here? :confused:

Wilmore would have been proud of this lot.

Nutmegger has been nutmegged by the curse of Willmore :lol:

SagenOnion Jul 17th 2010 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8707276)
Nutmegger has been nutmegged by the curse of Willmore :lol:

So JayBowyer is the one thinking of leaving?

I am not going to touch their quotes for fear of catching something.

Rockgurl Jul 17th 2010 12:33 am

Well I'm not budging...it's my thread! http://smilearchive.com/s/otn/confused/bluThinking.gif

SagenOnion Jul 17th 2010 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8707305)
Well I'm not budging...it's my thread! http://smilearchive.com/s/otn/confused/bluThinking.gif

Don't.

I purely commented because I absolutely hate seeing people leave either by choice or being banned. It takes all sorts. JayBowyer seems to me to be someone that should stick around.

Kaffy Mintcake Jul 17th 2010 12:44 am

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 8703651)
No, they seemed to know that one.. "Microsoft" or "Nirvana". aka 'Below Canada" :D

When I'm in Europe I describe where I live as "about a five hour drive from Chicago". :lol:

coastieexpat Jul 17th 2010 2:12 am

Here's a couple of answers to the inevitable questions, ( I used to bartend ).

Q. Where are you from.

A. Texas, I bought a dialect on tape course, unfortunately I picked this one, ( Manchester/Cheshire ).

Q. What made you come here.

A. I won a ticket to the US. It was on a radio quiz show ...... Pause........I'm trying to win another one so I can get back!

Oh ! And when they insist that I am Irish ??? I tell them I grew up 50 miles east of Dublin ...usually gets a free pint.

I think it's much better to have fun with it, or be gracious, after all , it's never going to stop.

Mick

This actually happened........

Logger type fellow, " what do you miss most about England ? Me, " Indian food ".

Logger, " whats so special about venison and acorns ?

Leslie Jul 17th 2010 3:14 am

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 8707312)
Don't.

I purely commented because I absolutely hate seeing people leave either by choice or being banned. It takes all sorts. JayBowyer seems to me to be someone that should stick around.

I agree.

SagenOnion Jul 17th 2010 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8707538)
For goodness sakes SnO give it a rest...she's in the past.

You are way off base with that JG. :frown:

You know damn well my feelings about banned members, any banned members, and this comment had nothing to do with it. I don't think that JayBowyer should be put in a situation where she feels that she needs to leave. Her few posts, to me, showed someone that would be a positive to a forum that is becoming increasingly negative.

augigi Jul 17th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8707270)
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! It will probably take me longer as I don't have my BSN yet so I'd have to do the both together. That's ok though...I'm not going anywhere. What's Stats and Ethics like? Is it hard? Deathly boring? I just have images of my eyes glazing over! I've even heard of some courses making you take religion, and I fail to see how that has anything to do with my job! ACNP sounds right up my street. I will surely investigate that. I have spent my entire 20 year career working in major university hospitals in large metropolitan areas. I love acute care.

Honestly, so far I've enjoyed the classes - challenging, but definitely doable. Managed a 4.0 GPA so far, so can't be too hard haha!! I even enjoyed research/stats because I had a great teacher (and I hate stats). Definitely sounds like ACNP is up your alley. Just do lots of reading online - most schools have lots of info online and you can really pick your school by the specialties offered.

Rockgurl Jul 17th 2010 10:31 am

Originally Posted by coastieexpat (Post 8707410)
Here's a couple of answers to the inevitable questions, ( I used to bartend ).

Q. Where are you from.

A. Texas, I bought a dialect on tape course, unfortunately I picked this one, ( Manchester/Cheshire ).

Q. What made you come here.

A. I won a ticket to the US. It was on a radio quiz show ...... Pause........I'm trying to win another one so I can get back!

Oh ! And when they insist that I am Irish ??? I tell them I grew up 50 miles east of Dublin ...usually gets a free pint.

I think it's much better to have fun with it, or be gracious, after all , it's never going to stop.

Mick

This actually happened........

Logger type fellow, " what do you miss most about England ? Me, " Indian food ".

Logger, " whats so special about venison and acorns ?

Love it! I think I'm going to use that! Love the one about winning the ticket on the radio...brilliant! BTW...what is so special about venison and acorns? http://smilies.blazemint.com/s/otn/s...oking_anim.gif

Rockgurl Jul 17th 2010 10:32 am

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 8708040)
Honestly, so far I've enjoyed the classes - challenging, but definitely doable. Managed a 4.0 GPA so far, so can't be too hard haha!! I even enjoyed research/stats because I had a great teacher (and I hate stats). Definitely sounds like ACNP is up your alley. Just do lots of reading online - most schools have lots of info online and you can really pick your school by the specialties offered.

That's a relief to hear! :D Sounds like you're doing great! Thanks again for the advice. It's going to be a long road but one that's definitely worth it. :thumbsup:

meauxna Jul 17th 2010 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8707315)
When I'm in Europe I describe where I live as "about a five hour drive from Chicago". :lol:

:D 'But, but.. that's a three day car trip!' :lol:

Originally Posted by SagenOnion (Post 8707551)
You are way off base with that JG. :frown:

You know damn well my feelings about banned members, any banned members, and this comment had nothing to do with it. I don't think that JayBowyer should be put in a situation where she feels that she needs to leave. Her few posts, to me, showed someone that would be a positive to a forum that is becoming increasingly negative.

She's really funny and clever, too. :)

Tama2 Jul 18th 2010 4:24 pm

Would you mind a reply to your original points from an American? Hope not. I joined just to talk to you. Haven't read every single post so if I am repeating stuff please forgive.

I grew up in the NE and have lived in the South for many years. I had culture shock galore. It was like moving to a foreign land. I also had trouble making friends and longed for the "real friends" of the NE.

I have also spent a lot of time in the UK and I really appreciate all the wonderful things about your country. I also find, along with many others of my generation, that America has changed and is changing into a place unrecognizable. The crappy entertainment industry feeding vacant minds from inferior schools and spoiled entitled children wallowing in their texts and apps---I could go on--but

There are other people here in the U.S., unfortunately it is getting harder to find them--- people who dress well, read, have global perspective, and value quality. But the obese, ignorant and self-obsessed are too often forefront. What is going to happen down the road I don't know but I am not optimistic.

Meanwhile we don't all eat junk, say "Ya know-like...." or wear t-shirts and torn jeans to work or while traveling. I want you to find that other side of us

From one who conquered the loneliness and sense of being an outsider in my own country here are my suggestions to find people who will share a cuppa...

Participate in group activities that meet regulaly and share a common interest--a garden club, a workout class (not just the gym but a specific class), take a fun class like watercolor or Italian, join a reading group through the library, volunteer at the school, the women's shelter, the library, the animal shelter--join an animal rescue group, find others in your area and get out there.

You will find people--and what is the big deal about the accent?? I got that as a Yankee in the South and I found it a good way to talk about myself and get to know the person who asked. It isn't really important and focusing on dumb stuff like that will make you cynical.

Get cracking and make it your goal to conquer this damn country. No running with tail between the legs. And, if you haven't done so--read up on the stages of culture shock.

By the way--just for perspective--I found the British polite but icy--see--it works both ways.

ian-mstm Jul 19th 2010 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Tama2 (Post 8710460)
... take a fun class like ... Italian

Enjoyed your entire post, with one small exception! :D

Ian

Tama2 Jul 19th 2010 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8712834)
Enjoyed your entire post, with one small exception! :D

Ian

Thanks Ian--how about German??

ian-mstm Jul 19th 2010 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tama2 (Post 8712952)
Thanks Ian--how about German??

I have to chuckle... I studied both German and Italian as part of my college undergrad work and don't recall enjoying either of 'em! :)

Ian

congruent Jul 20th 2010 5:38 am

"....I had to say "No." In the States, it's all about "the pursuit of happiness" and personal rights with no social obligation to others. The utter selfishness of the average American still absolutely shocks me. If it's what you subscribe to, fine, but, I think, it's alien to all but the most conservative Brit."

I joined this forum just to reply to this post (at this time...until I get over to the France part of the forum). I don't want to bring up stereotypes, but perhaps you're looking at America through your own, somewhat liberal, Jewish lens? You basically equate the conservative/average American argument against "Obamacare" with a perverse sort of American selfishness...but what do those people actually say? Since they obviously don't say "screw the poor...we're selfish" you must be judging the hearts of many people unjustly! For one, this issue is so multifaceted that what you said betrays a certain political subjectivity. I don't understand how someone can be so irresponsible to believe that the US should keeping printing money and keep driving the country into absolutely insane amounts of debt. Yes, healthcare needs reform, but completely changing the American healthcare system is probably not the answer. One of the real difficulties in the "average" American's mind isn't selfishness, but, in part, just empathizing with the poor...but why? Here in America ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can get a job. It may take a month of searching but it's impossible not to find a job. Also, ANYONE can go to college/trade school. It may take lots of loans (I have a ton), but anyone can do it. So what do you do with poor people that refuse to get a job? Or poor people that are addicted to drugs and can't keep a job? You can't just throw money at situations and hope for the best. Whatever we're putting money into, it actually needs to work. Here in Philadelphia certain people in particular communities complain about the people that want to keep them down by denying them free health care...and all the while they choose to live in a community that has no jobs, refuse to go to school (trade school or otherwise) and some just leach off the welfare system. I don't see how you can't have a problem with the government deciding where your money goes. I take issue with a secular, liberal, nation-state like the US deciding where my money goes. What if I want to actually check out the welfare system that my money is being poured into? Why should the government pay for something that should be community based and given out of the generosity of people's hearts? I truly believe in the saying "the bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." I (being a person of the Christian faith) believe that the church should take more of an active role in helping the poor onto their feet again or by helping the widows, fatherless...whatever. There are an insane number of churches in the US...why doesn't the government reach out to them and ask them to set up community programs? Why haven't the churches stepped up? If this administration starts to fund abortions with my tax dollars in this state I might seriously consider civil disobedience. Obama lied about this very issue and federal money is already going to states like Maryland to be used (indirectly) to fund abortions.I think it's also the duty of people that oppose the war/s to be able to opt out of paying taxes in support of them.Have you ever attempted to get welfare assistance of any kind? Have you ever sought after programs that help the poor? My wife and I are, by no stretch of the imagination, poor - and yet we get free health care. What did it take? Asking around. The only reason we use it (it's called Charity Care) is because we are in a huge amount of loan debt right now. We plan on making donations to this sort of charity when we have our careers (unless Obama taxes us so profusely that we have no choice where our "charity" goes.) Individual freedom is woven into the fabric of this country (and why is this country that way?...hmm). It's our vice and our virtue. It's just one of those quirks of history that people have to live with. In case you're wondering, I am definitely not conservative, or anything else for that matter.

"As for quality of life, that's a whole different post, but in one sentence and covering just one issue - no-one I know in the States gets to enjoy the quality time with friends and family, whether at home, in the local, or on holiday, that my family and friends back in the UK do"

It's because we're entirely selfish and really could care less about family ties....Seriously now - how many American families have you actually met? This is completely untrue for every family that I know. I'm sensing something else other than genuine concern. Maybe you're an English nationalist?

HumphreyC Jul 20th 2010 7:32 am

I suppose the accent thing might get a bit irritating, but it's better than the myriad of countries where if they hear your English accent there is a better than average change they will tell you to **** off (although that can be fun too). The good news is that over time your accent changes. For instance my wife has just moved back home to MA and a lot of people she meets there think she is from England and give her the accent comment; though she still sounds like a yank to me.

dunroving Jul 20th 2010 9:51 am

Originally Posted by HumphreyC (Post 8714322)
I suppose the accent thing might get a bit irritating, but it's better than the myriad of countries where if they hear your English accent there is a better than average change they will tell you to **** off (although that can be fun too). The good news is that over time your accent changes. For instance my wife has just moved back home to MA and a lot of people she meets there think she is from England and give her the accent comment; though she still sounds like a yank to me.

I must have heard the "Where are you from?" and "I love your accent" thing hundreds, if not thousands, of times. It's never seemed anything else to me than an effort to be friendly, complimentary, and inquisitive. Sorry, there was the one time when I was asked, "Where you frum (sic) anyway? You pay your taxes?" - but that was from a bigoted university parking attendant who I was having a run-in with. But as that accounts for about 0.01% of such encounters, I guess I shouldn't complain (even though complaining is a British pastime ...).

tonrob Jul 20th 2010 10:30 am

Originally Posted by congruent (Post 8714154)
"....I had to say "No." In the States, it's all about "the pursuit of happiness" and personal rights with no social obligation to others. The utter selfishness of the average American still absolutely shocks me. If it's what you subscribe to, fine, but, I think, it's alien to all but the most conservative Brit."

I joined this forum just to reply to this post (at this time...until I get over to the France part of the forum). I don't want to bring up stereotypes, but perhaps you're looking at America through your own, somewhat liberal, Jewish lens? You basically equate the conservative/average American argument against "Obamacare" with a perverse sort of American selfishness...but what do those people actually say? Since they obviously don't say "screw the poor...we're selfish" you must be judging the hearts of many people unjustly! For one, this issue is so multifaceted that what you said betrays a certain political subjectivity. I don't understand how someone can be so irresponsible to believe that the US should keeping printing money and keep driving the country into absolutely insane amounts of debt. Yes, healthcare needs reform, but completely changing the American healthcare system is probably not the answer. One of the real difficulties in the "average" American's mind isn't selfishness, but, in part, just empathizing with the poor...but why? Here in America ANYONE and I mean ANYONE can get a job. It may take a month of searching but it's impossible not to find a job. Also, ANYONE can go to college/trade school. It may take lots of loans (I have a ton), but anyone can do it. So what do you do with poor people that refuse to get a job? Or poor people that are addicted to drugs and can't keep a job? You can't just throw money at situations and hope for the best. Whatever we're putting money into, it actually needs to work. Here in Philadelphia certain people in particular communities complain about the people that want to keep them down by denying them free health care...and all the while they choose to live in a community that has no jobs, refuse to go to school (trade school or otherwise) and some just leach off the welfare system. I don't see how you can't have a problem with the government deciding where your money goes. I take issue with a secular, liberal, nation-state like the US deciding where my money goes. What if I want to actually check out the welfare system that my money is being poured into? Why should the government pay for something that should be community based and given out of the generosity of people's hearts? I truly believe in the saying "the bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." I (being a person of the Christian faith) believe that the church should take more of an active role in helping the poor onto their feet again or by helping the widows, fatherless...whatever. There are an insane number of churches in the US...why doesn't the government reach out to them and ask them to set up community programs? Why haven't the churches stepped up? If this administration starts to fund abortions with my tax dollars in this state I might seriously consider civil disobedience. Obama lied about this very issue and federal money is already going to states like Maryland to be used (indirectly) to fund abortions.I think it's also the duty of people that oppose the war/s to be able to opt out of paying taxes in support of them.Have you ever attempted to get welfare assistance of any kind? Have you ever sought after programs that help the poor? My wife and I are, by no stretch of the imagination, poor - and yet we get free health care. What did it take? Asking around. The only reason we use it (it's called Charity Care) is because we are in a huge amount of loan debt right now. We plan on making donations to this sort of charity when we have our careers (unless Obama taxes us so profusely that we have no choice where our "charity" goes.) Individual freedom is woven into the fabric of this country (and why is this country that way?...hmm). It's our vice and our virtue. It's just one of those quirks of history that people have to live with. In case you're wondering, I am definitely not conservative, or anything else for that matter.

"As for quality of life, that's a whole different post, but in one sentence and covering just one issue - no-one I know in the States gets to enjoy the quality time with friends and family, whether at home, in the local, or on holiday, that my family and friends back in the UK do"

It's because we're entirely selfish and really could care less about family ties....Seriously now - how many American families have you actually met? This is completely untrue for every family that I know. I'm sensing something else other than genuine concern. Maybe you're an English nationalist?

Couldn't
care less... it's couldn't care less. Sheesh, people. :rolleyes:

Leslie Jul 20th 2010 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by congruent (Post 8714154)

What fresh hell is this?

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 20th 2010 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8715153)
What fresh hell is this?

It must be our penance for the day.

Were you more naughty than usual yesterday Leslie??:unsure: