British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Disillusioned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/disillusioned-675676/)

JohnD63 Jul 9th 2010 8:00 am

Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8685028)
the endless comments about my accent and why do they always think I'm Australian???

Now i feel your pain :( I got that all the time when i was in Florida.

JohnD63 Jul 9th 2010 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8686545)
:blink:

'Cause we all know that having a man takes away all the pain.

No, but it numbs the pain by creating another pain :)

dunroving Jul 9th 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8687842)
Thanks all for your replies. Lovely to see some of the old timers here (meant very affectionately BTW! :D ).

Rete, one of the saving graces is my band, and yes we still perform. They are pretty much my closest friends and thank god for them. We do manage to have a lot of fun and have been quite successful, so it's one of the shining lights of being here. Thanks for remembering. You're right about the NE...it's become even more competitive I believe, and now the recession has started to bite healthcare, I'm really feeling it!

The illness thing has sucked the life out of me. I was diagnosed with Endometriosis, and have had 3 surgeries so far and am facing a 4th quite soon. Obviously there's no cure so it's something I've resigned myself to, but it's progressive and I do struggle sometimes. On the other hand I do go to the gym very regularly which I love, but have not made any friends there at all. It keeps me moving though.

coopa-troopa...you too eh? Do tell!

augigi....I hear you with the writing up thing. It seems like no one gives you a chance of the benefit of the doubt. It's so esy to lose your job here and you feel like to have to constantly perform and kiss ass to be one of the chosen few. I hate that.

Leslie....glad to see you haven't changed! *smooch* And no, I don't need a man! LMAO. I'm still with my partner...it will be 10 years in January.

dunroving...lovely to see you! So glad you made it back home....how brave of you! Is academia any different over there or is it similar? I'm contemplating going back to school for a higher degree but have no idea what to expect except for a big bill! And you're not an old fart in the true sense of the word...just in the fond sense! :lol: Yes I do have a GC and am probably going to do the citizenship thing very soon...this year even. After going through all of this I want to cement my options!

TimFountain...good point and glad you understand. I'm glad you have a couple of foreign friends...they must find it easy to identify with you. BTW...good memory! :p

Jerseygirl...when I get asked where I'm from I usually say Alabama. The look on their face is priceless. They actually believe me for a minute! :lol:

Redwing, it does make sense to move, but it's taken me so long to build what I have that in this recession I just can't face another move. Getting a job in healthcare is such an ordeal because they make you jump through a million hoops. You have to declare who your greatgrandmother was married to and what grades you got in primary school etc. :unsure: You know what I mean.

Thydney, lovely to see you! Sad to hear about the hospitals back home. It was only a matter of time though as they were unsustainable before. Glad you made it home safely. What made you come back?

Academia is VERY different here, hence I have been trying to get a job back in the States for the past couple of years (2nd place has been the best result so far). If you need any advice on studying for a higher degree (UK? US?) feel free to pop me a PM.

Glad to hear you and your partner are still together - was reading between the lines of your earlier posts and wondering, but didn't like to jump in and ask.

Gyms are the WORST places to meet people so I'm not surprised you haven't made any friends there (but keep going, it's good for your health!). If you like physical activity and want to meet people, have you thought about using MeetUp.com (or local ads) to look for a local yoga, walking, or cycling group? From my experience, those types of activities attract a more social crowd than the gym (sorry to any BE gym-members, I know there are normal people who visit the gym but really, you do get an odd bunch at a lot of these places).

usoruk Jul 9th 2010 8:39 am

Hi, RG-I do not remember your earlier post, but I know how you feel right now. it is difficult to make long-lasting, deep friendships especially when you move to a new country as an adult.
Most good friendships, I think, are made earlier on from school/uni's. For me my best friends are still in the UK, the few US friends I have tend to be through the kids, otherwise not much esle in common. We perhaps chat once in a while and rarley see each other except on school functions! Nobody invites anybody over for a cup of water, let alone for a cuppa!!
We previously lived in NJ, currently in AZ (and are moving back to NJ-yay!! will talk re-this on another post) and my 5 very close friends there, were themselves from overseas!! They had the same mentality as me, we all loved inviting each other over for tea and snacks, the hospitality was just the same as I had experienced in the UK, chatting over garden fence, borrowing cups of sugar, kids play dates, and genuine kindness ie I was never left standing at the frontdoor in the stifling 100+ degree heat at a "friend's" home!! I have probably only been inside 2 friends homes here. I think that is the way some people interact here.
It does bother me that I invite everyone over all the time and make lavish meals at a drop of a hat , yet nobody would invite us over - esp. here in AZ. Also, I notice that I could easlily become like them and I don't want to be like that- I think the Americans like the English kindness and gestures so it is best to do what you can, stay true to your values and how you have been brought up-ie invite prospective "friends" over- prepare a typical English tea and have a chat-they may enjoy it and get on your wavelength eventually. Sometimes it is better to stick with other expats for long term companionships, deep chats etc-they know how you really feel about things incl. humour, the good 'ole day stuff back home, and stick to the American "friends" for general aquaintances, but do not expect much from them, unless you feel a proper friendship coming on.

koetsier Jul 9th 2010 9:54 am

Hi there

i am sorry you feel like that, however i am not sure you can put it down to the americans, i am a south african living in the UK, i have been here 7 years and at the end of the month am moving to the USA. I have felt exactly like you feel in the US, my experiences have been the same here, its just culture differences, i miss my friends back home in SA at the end of the day, the UK is your home no matter where you live it will never be home, as globe trotters these feelings are inevitable and after 7 years here i still feel the same as you. The only remedy is to return home back to where you fit in. I am also sick of everyone here in the UK asking me if i am australian! If another person says to me i love you accent i am at breaking point, for goodness sakes its only an accent, so i understand.........

sorry for your experience but the food, culture etc will never ever be home!

Thydney Jul 9th 2010 11:40 am

Thydney, lovely to see you! Sad to hear about the hospitals back home. It was only a matter of time though as they were unsustainable before. Glad you made it home safely. What made you come back?

My wife got ill and it bankrupted us basically:(

Rockgurl Jul 9th 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 8688424)
I swear a course of red wine and nights out on the piss is in order.

preferably in the UK.

Absobloominglutely, manc! :drinkwine:

Rockgurl Jul 9th 2010 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by usoruk (Post 8688493)
Hi, RG-I do not remember your earlier post, but I know how you feel right now. it is difficult to make long-lasting, deep friendships especially when you move to a new country as an adult.
Most good friendships, I think, are made earlier on from school/uni's. For me my best friends are still in the UK, the few US friends I have tend to be through the kids, otherwise not much esle in common. We perhaps chat once in a while and rarley see each other except on school functions! Nobody invites anybody over for a cup of water, let alone for a cuppa!!
We previously lived in NJ, currently in AZ (and are moving back to NJ-yay!! will talk re-this on another post) and my 5 very close friends there, were themselves from overseas!! They had the same mentality as me, we all loved inviting each other over for tea and snacks, the hospitality was just the same as I had experienced in the UK, chatting over garden fence, borrowing cups of sugar, kids play dates, and genuine kindness ie I was never left standing at the frontdoor in the stifling 100+ degree heat at a "friend's" home!! I have probably only been inside 2 friends homes here. I think that is the way some people interact here.
It does bother me that I invite everyone over all the time and make lavish meals at a drop of a hat , yet nobody would invite us over - esp. here in AZ. Also, I notice that I could easlily become like them and I don't want to be like that- I think the Americans like the English kindness and gestures so it is best to do what you can, stay true to your values and how you have been brought up-ie invite prospective "friends" over- prepare a typical English tea and have a chat-they may enjoy it and get on your wavelength eventually. Sometimes it is better to stick with other expats for long term companionships, deep chats etc-they know how you really feel about things incl. humour, the good 'ole day stuff back home, and stick to the American "friends" for general aquaintances, but do not expect much from them, unless you feel a proper friendship coming on.

You're so right. Thanks for that, it does make me feel better. I do have one very good friend here, and our common denominator is music. I feel like I've known him for years and I adore him, so I'm grateful for that. He's quite English in many ways. I'm also fortunate to have two great neighbors across the street, who do just pop over every now and again, and we often take turns hosting bonfire nights. So, not too much to complain about I guess, I think it's more the stress of the work environment than anything else. That's where I've encountered some of the nastiness. I'm really quite sensitive and it upsets me a lot, especially when you think you're getting on quite well with someone only to discover they've stabbed you in the back multiple times. I found England to be so much more laid back, and that I could trust people more. It's been a bit of a culture shock to me over the past few years.

Rockgurl Jul 9th 2010 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 8688801)
My wife got ill and it bankrupted us basically:(

I am so sorry to hear that. How awful. That is my worst fear. This is one of the things that is so wrong about American culture. When you dig deeper it really shows how indicative it is of the culture actually. Glad you're back somewhere civilized!

Rockgurl Jul 9th 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8688454)
Academia is VERY different here, hence I have been trying to get a job back in the States for the past couple of years (2nd place has been the best result so far). If you need any advice on studying for a higher degree (UK? US?) feel free to pop me a PM.

Glad to hear you and your partner are still together - was reading between the lines of your earlier posts and wondering, but didn't like to jump in and ask.

Gyms are the WORST places to meet people so I'm not surprised you haven't made any friends there (but keep going, it's good for your health!). If you like physical activity and want to meet people, have you thought about using MeetUp.com (or local ads) to look for a local yoga, walking, or cycling group? From my experience, those types of activities attract a more social crowd than the gym (sorry to any BE gym-members, I know there are normal people who visit the gym but really, you do get an odd bunch at a lot of these places).

Americans do take their studying seriously, I'll say that for them! I find academic opportunities are more open too, well as long as you have the money!'m planning on doing my MSN (Masters in Nursing) and progress to being a Nurse Practitioner. I am currently studying for the my CCRN exam (Critical Care). Not sure whether to do the bricks and mortar school or do an online degree to fit in with my work schedule. Been looking at Thomas Edison college...looks really nice.

Cycling club would suit me....I did two cycle tours in the past couple of years. I was thinking about that last year actually but I'd need to invest in a road bike as I have a mountain bike right now. Good idea! You're right about gyms....everyone (including me) wears an iPod!

Good luck with your job quest! Where are you thinking of heading?

Rockgurl Jul 9th 2010 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by koetsier (Post 8688602)
Hi there

i am sorry you feel like that, however i am not sure you can put it down to the americans, i am a south african living in the UK, i have been here 7 years and at the end of the month am moving to the USA. I have felt exactly like you feel in the US, my experiences have been the same here, its just culture differences, i miss my friends back home in SA at the end of the day, the UK is your home no matter where you live it will never be home, as globe trotters these feelings are inevitable and after 7 years here i still feel the same as you. The only remedy is to return home back to where you fit in. I am also sick of everyone here in the UK asking me if i am australian! If another person says to me i love you accent i am at breaking point, for goodness sakes its only an accent, so i understand.........

sorry for your experience but the food, culture etc will never ever be home!

You're right about that. So much is cultural, although my experience is that South Africans integrate very well into the UK. I had a couple of South African friends back home and they had a great sense of humour, were very sociable and genuine etc. Still....home is home, right? :)

SDDep Jul 9th 2010 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8688993)
You're right about that. So much is cultural, although my experience is that South Africans integrate very well into the UK. I had a couple of South African friends back home and they had a great sense of humour, were very sociable and genuine etc. Still....home is home, right? :)

You'll be ok luv....and you certainly arent alone...chin up..:D

Do what I do when a bit homesick...get online, tune in the Beeb radio and sit back and enjoy...

Or just put on Def Leppard or whatever floats your "rocker" boat..:)

dunroving Jul 9th 2010 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8688990)
Americans do take their studying seriously, I'll say that for them! I find academic opportunities are more open too, well as long as you have the money!'m planning on doing my MSN (Masters in Nursing) and progress to being a Nurse Practitioner. I am currently studying for the my CCRN exam (Critical Care). Not sure whether to do the bricks and mortar school or do an online degree to fit in with my work schedule. Been looking at Thomas Edison college...looks really nice.

Cycling club would suit me....I did two cycle tours in the past couple of years. I was thinking about that last year actually but I'd need to invest in a road bike as I have a mountain bike right now. Good idea! You're right about gyms....everyone (including me) wears an iPod!

Good luck with your job quest! Where are you thinking of heading?

Well, depending on whether there's a club where you are, and what kind it is (they can range from the super-fast, peacock-clothed, carbon-fibre crowd to the tootling 10 miles on a Sunday crowd), you may not need a road bike. If everyone else has a hybrid/mtn bike, you'll be OK. Just switch from "knobbies" to "slicks" (tyres). You could check the League of American Bicyclists Web site to see if there's a club in your area. Honestly, the club I belonged to in TN were a fantastic bunch, we did rides every T/Th/Sa/Su, regular road trips to other parts, and overnights. I sorely miss them. On the other hand, I lived in one town where the "club" was comprised almost entirely of fitness fanatics - too serious for my liking, even though I can keep up, half the fun for me is the kinship, waiting at a store for people to catch up, etc.

I'm looking mainly for jobs in the SE - I'm a bit nervous about trying to begin again in a completely new area.

Re: education, a respectable online college (or distance learning at a bricks-and-mortar college) is often a great way to study for more motivated people as it gives you flexibility.

Nutmegger Jul 9th 2010 3:48 pm

Are you in the area for these folks?

http://www.soundcyclists.com/

tonrob Jul 9th 2010 4:13 pm

RG - I must only be about half an hour north of you. If you fancy a few drinks with Mrs tonrob and I then drop me a PM.

Leslie Jul 9th 2010 6:13 pm

Leslie....glad to see you haven't changed! *smooch* And no, I don't need a man! LMAO. I'm still with my partner...it will be 10 years in January.

Wunnerful. :thumbsup:

I took special note of where you said that you have been through some emotional (and physical) traumas over the last couple of years. I know, as I get older, I take lot longer to recover from emotional setbacks. Ultimately though I also find that I learn a lot more from them. Just give yourself more time.

I agree about people in general ... they're mostly bastards. It's hard to find people you can trust and connect with. I'm not an expat but I'm not so sure that it's entirely an expat condition.

Brit-ish1 Jul 9th 2010 7:58 pm

Hi Rockgurl, I totally sympathize with you. I have only been here in Colorado 5mins(18 months) in comparision with you and still trying to find my feet. Which does not help after loosing my job in Feb. I love where we are living but something is missing. I have made friends here but they are friends with no history..(if that makes sense). I keep intouch with my friends with history back in the uk but once out of sight they are out of mind(visa versa).
Prior to coming here we spent 10 years in Germany and life seemed simpler and it could be that I was closer to home and a shorter flight home. My wife who is USC also feels a bit lost here as she was away from the states for nearly 10 years and where we are is not her home state.
I guess its a matter of time and things will get better. I'm encouraged by other members experiences on here and have met the local BE members here in the Springs which is a bonus. As for the accent thing I forget I have an British accent until until someone reminds me here, and have lost count how many time it's assumed I'm from Australia. Having said that I have to forgive them as I was born in the southern hemisphere (Rhodesia) close -ish...but have spent 90% of life in the northern hemisphere and the south of England.
We plan to stay here for at least 5 years and maybe longer and eventually I plan to become a USC with dual nationality but I guess that all depends on how plans role out... things change. I do miss the european culture and way of life but also realise that I have to adapt and embrace this culture and way of life in order to get on and make the most of it.(Will I be eating my words in 7 years time ?):)

SultanOfSwing Jul 9th 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8689660)
I agree about people in general ... they're mostly bastards. It's hard to find people you can trust and connect with. I'm not an expat but I'm not so sure that it's entirely an expat condition.

I would tend to agree with that, though I'm no people person as it is!

I have few 'real' friends here, but I think had I moved to another part of the UK, rather than the US, I would probably still be in the same boat. Just about all my UK friends are friends I made in school when I was 15 or younger. I just don't connect with new people as easily now, haven't done since I left Uni. It's a personal thing I think, rather than geographical.

I know I posted something similar in another thread. How one dimensional am i??

Dan725 Jul 9th 2010 8:37 pm

Very good post Rockgurl - I often wonder though, regarding the friend thing, if we are all comparing apples to oranges. Don't know about your upbringing, but I was brought up in England in a small rural community until I was 18 and of course there will never be any friends anywhere to replace those. From 18, the next 12 years were spent in the army - again, a 'place' where you make some very close friendships almost right up there with my childhood friends.

Now I live in the suburban US, I don't have that...but don't really expect to - I reckon its probably the same as in the suburban UK if you move away from your traditional home for work, as so many people do. I think a key difference is the fact that in the UK you can almost always easily "pop home" for the weekend from almost wherever you are; when you are here, you obviously can't, so the cut off effect gets to be cumulative. I am sure people from the US who grew up, say, in a small town in Georgia or somewhere similar probably have the same issues when they move off to the big smoke for a job.

Retseh Jul 9th 2010 8:42 pm

I'm afraid you're now in a situation that will never offer you a satisfactory outcome, no matter what you think.

Having lived here a while, and obviously been a member of the rat race like so many more of us, you have grown a little tired of American life, and you naturally think of happier times back home, tending to forget why moving here was so attractive in the first place.

Here's my prediction - if you went back to the UK, as soon as you arranged your 200 grand mortgage and moved into your semi-detached shoe box, purchased your 15 grand Barbie car with its 0.9 litre engine, struggled through the traffic to Tesco only to listen to narrow minded people and their foul mouthed offspring telling each other and everyone around them to "F off !!" you would immediately start to feel the pull in the opposite direction.

Keep working, put up with the crap, and focus on making (and saving) lots of money and taking early retirement. You are in the better place, but ultimately if you can't convince yourself of that fact, you'll have to find out the hard way.

dunroving Jul 9th 2010 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8689927)
I'm afraid you're now in a situation that will never offer you a satisfactory outcome, no matter what you think.

Having lived here a while, and obviously been a member of the rat race like so many more of us, you have grown a little tired of American life, and you naturally think of happier times back home, tending to forget why moving here was so attractive in the first place.

Here's my prediction - if you went back to the UK, as soon as you arranged your 200 grand mortgage and moved into your semi-detached shoe box, purchased your 15 grand Barbie car with its 0.9 litre engine, struggled through the traffic to Tesco only to listen to narrow minded people and their foul mouthed offspring telling each other and everyone around them to "F off !!" you would immediately start to feel the pull in the opposite direction.

Keep working, put up with the crap, and focus on making (and saving) lots of money and taking early retirement. You are in the better place, but ultimately if you can't convince yourself of that fact, you'll have to find out the hard way.

I don't see RG on anything but a Harley Davidson ... never a Barbie car.

coopa_troopa Jul 9th 2010 9:17 pm

coopa-troopa...you too eh? Do tell!

you feel like to have to constantly perform and kiss ass to be one of the chosen few.

And there you have it Rockgurl......you pretty much answered your own question ;)

Sally Redux Jul 9th 2010 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 8689914)
Very good post Rockgurl - I often wonder though, regarding the friend thing, if we are all comparing apples to oranges. Don't know about your upbringing, but I was brought up in England in a small rural community until I was 18 and of course there will never be any friends anywhere to replace those. From 18, the next 12 years were spent in the army - again, a 'place' where you make some very close friendships almost right up there with my childhood friends.

Now I live in the suburban US, I don't have that...but don't really expect to - I reckon its probably the same as in the suburban UK if you move away from your traditional home for work, as so many people do. I think a key difference is the fact that in the UK you can almost always easily "pop home" for the weekend from almost wherever you are; when you are here, you obviously can't, so the cut off effect gets to be cumulative. I am sure people from the US who grew up, say, in a small town in Georgia or somewhere similar probably have the same issues when they move off to the big smoke for a job.

Hmm, maybe, but I lived in the London from age 22-32 and met loads of great people there. Possibly age does have something to do with it, but even basic courtesy like keeping to simple arrangements seems to be lacking among the Americans I've met here.

Leslie Jul 9th 2010 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 8689910)
I would tend to agree with that, though I'm no people person as it is!

I have few 'real' friends here, but I think had I moved to another part of the UK, rather than the US, I would probably still be in the same boat. Just about all my UK friends are friends I made in school when I was 15 or younger. I just don't connect with new people as easily now, haven't done since I left Uni. It's a personal thing I think, rather than geographical.

I know I posted something similar in another thread. How one dimensional am i??

I've always heard that as you get older it's harder to make friends. I don't know if it actually is any "harder" for me but rather just that I don't suffer fools lightly anymore. The older I get the more wary I am because people are just so shit. Right now I have three people that I consider real friends, two sisters who are real friends, and a couple more with whom I could become close. The rest are just people I tolerate. I lost one really good friend last year when she went off the deep end. I miss the way she used to be but I have no intention of putting up with what she's become. And I consider myself one of the lucky ones.

Bob Jul 9th 2010 10:35 pm

Aye up...sight for sore eyes and all that :)

Though you mentioning CT, there's quite a few new members lately who have joined up in the state, Hartford and the surrounds mostly, but perhaps get a little meet up group posting in the BE meet up section?

Dan725 Jul 10th 2010 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8690027)
Hmm, maybe, but I lived in the London from age 22-32 and met loads of great people there. Possibly age does have something to do with it, but even basic courtesy like keeping to simple arrangements seems to be lacking among the Americans I've met here.

Very much agree with that - and the very bottom of the barrel to my mind is parents of little kids, who are often prone to cancel "playdates" (gawd I hate that word) and such like at the last minute.

Another Brit friend and I were discussing this phenomenon - we put it down to a societal difference; in the UK, people are more apt to say up front if they can't make something, whereas here, its almost as if it would be considered rude to blatantly say no from the get go, and a lot of people would rather make phony excuses last minute, even if they had no intention of going in the first place (which to my mind, is ruder than flat out saying you can't make it).

Have to say though, fortunately we do have some friends here who are very reliable to counter balance the rest, so its by no means set in stone, but does seem to happen more in the US.

Jan Alaska Jul 10th 2010 5:33 am

Just peeking in to say helloo, good to see (read) you again RG and sorry things aren't so great out east. Always room in Alaska for another British nutter though, they seem to like us up here :)

Jan

Englishtart Jul 10th 2010 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725 (Post 8690389)
Very much agree with that - and the very bottom of the barrel to my mind is parents of little kids, who are often prone to cancel "playdates" (gawd I hate that word) and such like at the last minute.

Then on the other hand, hardly anyone answers RSVP's for kids birthday parties, but will just show up! That has happened to us so many times when the kids were growing up, pisses me off, especially when it is a pre-booked thing!

One thing that came to mind last night, about it being harder to make friends here, in the UK we tend to go to the local pub on a regular basis, or walk the kids to school etc...much easier to get chatting to people in those situations, there isn't really any similar situations/places I can think of here that that can happen...maybe hobby groups?

HumphreyC Jul 10th 2010 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Retseh (Post 8689927)

Haha, true but perhaps too optimistic. Lots of people like me live in the UK and can't actually afford any of those things. So it's renting your shoebox flat from your slum landlord in the Metro-land suburbs of London, walking to the bus stop and squeezing up to the other miserable shoppers crammed in together on the single decker bus to Brent Cross. Then carrying your groceries back home in the blazing sun whilst trying to avoid the menacing groups of teenagers at the end of your road who think it's fun to lob stuff at passers by. Oh well, there's always drinking yourself to death, except they just put the tax up on cider.

Rete Jul 10th 2010 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8690037)
I've always heard that as you get older it's harder to make friends.

The older I've become the easier it is for me to make friends. At the moment I have more friends than I had when I was in my thirties. I find that the competitiveness, and lack of confidence to hold my own, that was present for a single person in their thirties and the lifestyle I lived back then, free and easy, jumping from relationship to relationship, didn't make for friendship. Once I hit the big 50 and advanced onward, I find that I have allowed myself to welcome others into my life. I have friends now who I value and respect and not all of them share the same outlook on subjects that are confrontal to some. It doesn't matter that we hold different opinions. Just that we are comfortable in discussing them. We get together for coffee, vacation together, go to movies, dinner in groups, whatever. If they have a problem, it becomes my problem and the reverse if I have one.

britvic Jul 10th 2010 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 8685044)
Hi Rockgurl, I remember you from when I first joined the site. I'm sorry you're feeling disillusioned although I think your feelings are shared by many, especially women who miss the old cuppa and natter...

So understand where she's coming from :(

AmerLisa Jul 10th 2010 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 8691701)
The older I've become the easier it is for me to make friends. At the moment I have more friends than I had when I was in my thirties. I find that the competitiveness, and lack of confidence to hold my own, that was present for a single person in their thirties and the lifestyle I lived back then, free and easy, jumping from relationship to relationship, didn't make for friendship. Once I hit the big 50 and advanced onward, I find that I have allowed myself to welcome others into my life. I have friends now who I value and respect and not all of them share the same outlook on subjects that are confrontal to some. It doesn't matter that we hold different opinions. Just that we are comfortable in discussing them. We get together for coffee, vacation together, go to movies, dinner in groups, whatever. If they have a problem, it becomes my problem and the reverse if I have one.

Definitely agree, Rete! I definitely feel more at ease around people now then 20 years ago.

AmerLisa Jul 10th 2010 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Englishtart (Post 8691552)
Then on the other hand, hardly anyone answers RSVP's for kids birthday parties, but will just show up! That has happened to us so many times when the kids were growing up, pisses me off, especially when it is a pre-booked thing!

One thing that came to mind last night, about it being harder to make friends here, in the UK we tend to go to the local pub on a regular basis, or walk the kids to school etc...much easier to get chatting to people in those situations, there isn't really any similar situations/places I can think of here that that can happen...maybe hobby groups?

Its funny you mention parties and people not responding to invitations. I've had that happen here in the US, but my older daughter has had that happen a few times in the UK as well. The last birthday party she booked for her daughter, she actually put on the invite that if people didn't respond and she went ahead and considered them coming, and if they didn't show up, she wanted the money (that she paid for them) for the cost of whatever she had booked for the party (I think some bouncy castle place).:D

I think that can happen anywhere. I truly think friends are luck of the draw. I didn't find any friends or very nice people in our neighborhood in the UK. With exception of my older neighbor who I could pop over to have a cuppa with, I rarely saw people outside. Since we moved to a new neighborhood in the US (by new, all the houses were brand new, everyone was new to the neighborhood) we've found more friendly people. Maybe it was because everyone was new, maybe it had to do with the proximity of the tot park and we all had small children, don't know. I don't think its because this lot were USC and not UKC. I don't think one band of nationals are necessarily nicer then the others.

Brit3964 Jul 10th 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie66 (Post 8690037)
I've always heard that as you get older it's harder to make friends. I don't know if it actually is any "harder" for me but rather just that I don't suffer fools lightly anymore.

Agreed. I think it's more like as you get older, you're less likely to worry what others might think of you and so you end up attracting friends who like you because of who you are, not what you appear.

ironporer Jul 10th 2010 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8685028)
If one more person says "oh gee, I just love your accent" I'm going to scream! /rant.

I've wondered what became of you and if you still posted here- sorry to hear you are down and hope things work out for the best.

FYI- "I love your accent" is really code for "Where the F**k are you from? I have no idea if your accent is English, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Kiwi, Aussie or Geiko Gekko- but am to ashamed to ask."

Rockgurl Jul 10th 2010 8:56 pm

LOL ironporer! You might be right! To be honest, most people genuinely think it's the most exciting thing that's ever happened to them so I'm never rude. It's almost childlike they way they ask, like they've never heard a foreigner before.

I must say it's absolutely lovely to be back here and see all you familiar faces. In fact it's just what I need right now! Thank you all so much for coming on here and commenting. it's almost as good as being back home with old friends! You've all really lifted my spirits. I was in a bit of a funk the other day but things are looking up. I think it's time I got online and ordered a stash of English goodies to cheer me up further! :D

I think to some extent Leslie and Rete are correct...you make a better quality of friend at this age, but that's half the problem. I'm more developed and rounded now, and more genuine I feel, and so expect the same of other people, and when they turn out not to be genuine it's very upsetting...deeply so. Some of it is also cultural too. Not being able to connect with people who have grown up with different experiences and values. It's complex being a human, isn't it? :blink:

scrubbedexpat097 Jul 10th 2010 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl (Post 8692224)
LOL ironporer! You might be right! To be honest, most people genuinely think it's the most exciting thing that's ever happened to them so I'm never rude. It's almost childlike they way they ask, like they've never heard a foreigner before.

I must say it's absolutely lovely to be back here and see all you familiar faces. In fact it's just what I need right now! Thank you all so much for coming on here and commenting. it's almost as good as being back home with old friends! You've all really lifted my spirits. I was in a bit of a funk the other day but things are looking up. I think it's time I got online and ordered a stash of English goodies to cheer me up further! :D

I think to some extent Leslie and Rete are correct...you make a better quality of friend at this age, but that's half the problem. I'm more developed and rounded now, and more genuine I feel, and so expect the same of other people, and when they turn out not to be genuine it's very upsetting...deeply so. Some of it is also cultural too. Not being able to connect with people who have grown up with different experiences and values. It's complex being a human, isn't it? :blink:

Glad to hear you sound more like your old self:thumbup:

BTW...do you still have a motorcycle?

Rockgurl Jul 10th 2010 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 8692237)
Glad to hear you sound more like your old self:thumbup:

BTW...do you still have a motorcycle?

LOL No I don't! I was going to but now that I'm offically old I decided that there's too much risk. I asked myself what would happen if I had an accident and we couldn't pay the mortgage etc, so I switched to cycling which keeps me fit too!

Tarkak9 Jul 10th 2010 10:18 pm

Such interesting thread.

RG, I feel your pain per se. What I have noticed, and its going to sound a debbie downer generalization, people over here treat one another as a resource... and as long as you provide what they need/want - then by all means, they'll be your 'friend'.... and they are somewhat reluctant to contribute to a friendship and give back to you...

I am feeling abit jaded and probably biased when I say that because of some sh!t I'm going through right now. It seems people's sense of 'fun' stems purely around alcohol and a bar... and friendships too are defined, so it seems, around a 'fun crowd' for that matter. Its almost people rely on someone other than themselves to provide them entertainment - ie rather than be able to create it for themselves. Leads me to think, security issues. There is much more to life than 'let's get drunk' mentality and my brother often says "you don't find interesting people in bars". I think there is alot of truth to that statement.

Friendship is a dynamic structure; like an onion imo. It has various levels... there are those who are closet and surround you and are your support system - they make up the core... everyone else surrounding you is a layer and exist as an acquaintance. Relax, you are someone else' acquaintance too!!

I've always had a definition of a friend as being someone who is there for you in a time of need and who respects you for who you are and your decisions. So what if you won't go out on the town?!?!

We always have a choice... how we want to have our onions. (how do yo like those onions!!) Our sense and need for 'friendships' constantly change... ask you this - the people you associate with now, would you have done so a few years ago? The trick, like anywhere, is seeking out like minded people who share common interests and beliefs, otherwise, they don't work - a drastic analogy... a kinky person would not do so well in a vanilla relationship; and vice versa!!

Sally Redux Jul 10th 2010 10:55 pm