Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disillusioned

Disillusioned

Old Aug 17th 2010, 3:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
I started there in 1976 (Needham House) and went to the senior school in 1978. Jane Chowen was head at NH and Miss Farah (I cant remember her given name) at the senior school.

I'm old
Non of those names ring a bell I'm afraid...but I'll find out who was the Principle during the 90's. The Firs School was well known as the 'feeder school' to Queens.

I often wonder what my daughter would be doing now if we'd stayed in the UK. What did you do after Queens? We can take this to PM if you wish.

Small world huh?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:01 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Hi folks, been a long time since I've been to these here parts! Some of the older farts might remember that I came here 7 years ago to work as a nurse. Well, I still am and I've been in Connecticut for 6 years now, after a year in Arizona. I know I'm one of the lucky ones as I have good job, earn more money than I've ever earned in my life, have a beautiful house that I could never afford the like of in England, and yet....I'm miserable.

Of late I have really been feeling the differences between the UK and the USA. This is not meant as a criticism of the American people, but really deep down, anyone who has been here for any length of time will tell you...its just different. Here in the NorthEast I find people so utterly fake. I have tried to make friends but I find that time after time I am let down so badly that I don't even want to try anymore. I've always been a very open and genuine person and it upsets me so much when I give of myself only to discover that people really never gave a shit about me to start with. I have tried to analyze what it is that lets this happen but when I compare to how things were back home it's so off the charts it doesn't compare. The only real friends I have are all in England. Those are the people whom I have known for many years and are like family to me. Every friend I ever made from the age of 15 I am still friends with, and yet I simply can't make friends here in the US. I find that Americans really don't get that involved, at least not to my experience.

I find that people completely misunderstand me. When I try to be funny they look blankly at me, when I try to be polite they think I'm rude etc etc. It's so frustrating! When I finally let my guard down and start to trust someone, guaranteed they &^%$ me right up the you know what! It's making me very sad.

At home, you can just sit down and have a cup of tea and a laugh with someone, but here I feel everything is so forced, and you have to watch what you say all the time because people take offense so easily. I never seem to fit in and I don't often understand the humour. I long to be able to relax and just have a good ol' natter like I did in England.

I get tired of the fakeness, the competitiveness, the endless comments about my accent and why do they always think I'm Australian??? I've been here 7 years and never met a single Australian. England is just across the ocean but it would never occur to anyone that I'm English!! If one more person says "oh gee, I just love your accent" I'm going to scream! I'm tired of the crap food, the horrible grocery stores, the crappy driving, the selfishness of everyone. My job is high stress and very competitive, and find that people rip you to shreds at the very first opportunity. I'm becoming a nervous wreck. For the first time in 7 years I really feel like going home. /rant.
Hello Rockgurl, as one of the old farts, I also remember you. Sorry you've had such a rough time. Sometimes I think it's the luck of the draw, whether you meet genuinely good friends or not. I was somewhat miserable for the first four years I was here. Some pretty terrible (family) issues arose and in the end I decided I have to make something happen for myself. Maybe it was luck, or sheer determination but I decided to join an exercise group and it all took off from there. I met some wonderful friends, lost weight - life was good again! Then my husband's firm closed down that location and re-located us 300 miles away. Ugh! Yes, it's a nice enough place, but it's so difficult to start all over again trying to find like-minded people. There is a British group here who are very friendly. But it's hard to step in to an established group and have close friends - I don't have the history with them, plus with working full time, I am unable to attend many of their get-togethers. So I do sympathise.

Then this June we had a very sad event (my stepson was killed in Iraq) and once again I am feeling lonely and unsure about everything.

Hoping things will get better for you Rockgurl, as I'm sure they will for me.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 6:11 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark

Then this June we had a very sad event (my stepson was killed in Iraq) and once again I am feeling lonely and unsure about everything.
So very sorry about your loss. The son of one of my best friends was in the service in Iraq (thank the Lord he came home safely) and I remember how she was on edge day in day out all the time he was there.

However, your comment about not feeling particularly close with the people in the British group illustrates that it is not just nationality that makes it difficult to make friends here at times. The same thing could happen if one moved from -- say -- Inverness to London.