Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disillusioned

Disillusioned

Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of
Default Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by dunroving
I must have heard the "Where are you from?" and "I love your accent" thing hundreds, if not thousands, of times. It's never seemed anything else to me than an effort to be friendly, complimentary, and inquisitive.
Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I suppose the accent thing might get a bit irritating, but it's better than the myriad of countries where if they hear your English accent there is a better than average change they will tell you to **** off
Well exactly. It's just part of living in the USA. Especially if you are living away from the tourist traps.

I can imagine it being annoying if you are working with the public and get asked it 50 times a day - but surely there is great potential for some classic wind-ups to brighten up the day.

I soon got a bit sick of people asking me about the Beatles. Saying I didn't really like them would break their hearts. Now my Dad's best friend saw them in the 60's in London in a small pub. He managed to get Ringo Starr's snare drum and uses it as a coffee table in his front room. It is signed by all the band (and Mick Jagger who was also at the gig - the Rolling Stones were supporting). Or whatever - they lap it all up! It makes their day to think they've just talked to someone who 'knows the Beatles'.

I bet any single guys out there sure as hell make certain their accent is heard in certain situations. Don't you? 'Geee - I just lurve your accent honey' - there's your starter for 10...

*** Back to the original post on this thread. My theory is that the grass is always greener. We always want what we haven't got. A lot of people in the UK would love the chance to live in the USA - whilst a lot of us who actually do - want to go back to the UK! You go back to the UK - in a years time you wish you were living back in the USA!

Whatever happens - hope it works out for you. Go with your gut reaction. Life is too short to be constantly unhappy.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Well exactly. It's just part of living in the USA. Especially if you are living away from the tourist traps.

I can imagine it being annoying if you are working with the public and get asked it 50 times a day - but surely there is great potential for some classic wind-ups to brighten up the day.

I soon got a bit sick of people asking me about the Beatles. Saying I didn't really like them would break their hearts. Now my Dad's best friend saw them in the 60's in London in a small pub. He managed to get Ringo Starr's snare drum and uses it as a coffee table in his front room. It is signed by all the band (and Mick Jagger who was also at the gig - the Rolling Stones were supporting). Or whatever - they lap it all up! It makes their day to think they've just talked to someone who 'knows the Beatles'.

I bet any single guys out there sure as hell make certain their accent is heard in certain situations. Don't you? 'Geee - I just lurve your accent honey' - there's your starter for 10...

*** Back to the original post on this thread. My theory is that the grass is always greener. We always want what we haven't got. A lot of people in the UK would love the chance to live in the USA - whilst a lot of us who actually do - want to go back to the UK! You go back to the UK - in a years time you wish you were living back in the USA!

Whatever happens - hope it works out for you. Go with your gut reaction. Life is too short to be constantly unhappy.
For some people (including yours truly) that's an overestimate.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by congruent
Obama lied about this very issue and federal money is already going to states like Maryland to be used (indirectly) to fund abortions.
You watch too much FOX news. It's turned you into a mindless drone who now spouts their drivel.

Ian
Old Jul 20th 2010, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I don't even know whose post they're responding to. Would the Jew please step forward?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=90.

Ian
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Along with the classic follow ups:

"Give me your phone number and I'll let you listen to it all the time"

Or my personal favorite (not that I've tried this):

US Girl : I luuurve your accent
UK Guy: Thanks. Sounds like you have a little English in you. Do you?
US Girl: No, I don't think so
UK Guy: Well, do you want some?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Along with the classic follow ups:

"Give me your phone number and I'll let you listen to it all the time"

Or my personal favorite (not that I've tried this):

US Girl : I luuurve your accent
UK Guy: Thanks. Sounds like you have a little English in you. Do you?
US Girl: No, I don't think so
UK Guy: Well, do you want some?

I'd find a different word.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I'd find a different word.
You haven't lost your touch, then.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 3:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
What fresh hell is this?
I found it quite refreshing ...I think he is a Klansman
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
I found it quite refreshing ...I think he is a Klansman
Surely the average klukker is more literate?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
Surely the average klukker is more literate?
Not my local ones ...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:18 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayBowyer

Imagine asking someone from India where they're from, the very first time you meet them - practically the first question you ask. Or an Australian. Or a Chinese person. I could not imagine stopping a New Yorker in the middle of their sentence and asking them where they're from. Or someone from down south.
that's the key to why it's so bloody annoying. You're in the middle of giving someone the information they asked for and their eyes glaze over and they don't even listen anymore, and interrupt you in the middle of it all to ask where you're from, why you are here, what your husband does, and are you happy here. None of their effin business!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Juswus
that's the key to why it's so bloody annoying. You're in the middle of giving someone the information they asked for and their eyes glaze over and they don't even listen anymore, and interrupt you in the middle of it all to ask where you're from, why you are here, what your husband does, and are you happy here. None of their effin business!!!!
All of that, but working in retail. Every single customer, one after another, even though they must have heard the answers you gave to the exact same questions when asked them by the person standing in line right in fscking front of them!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:33 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chartreuse
All of that, but working in retail. Every single customer, one after another, even though they must have heard the answers you gave to the exact same questions when asked them by the person standing in line right in fscking front of them!!!
same as in the hotel business. But then you get them late at night, half cut and thinking I want to divulge personal information
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Juswus
same as in the hotel business. But then you get them late at night, half cut and thinking I want to divulge personal information
Hmmm... I don't think I've ever been to Maine...
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:35 am

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
I must have heard the "Where are you from?" hundreds, if not thousands, of times. It's never seemed anything else to me than an effort to be friendly, complimentary, and inquisitive.
Hello to everybody on the thread, wherever you happen to come from.

Here even in the capital I get it on a daily basis or its slight variant 'Amerika no doko desu ka?' (which part of America are you from?) - it's normally water off a duck's back by now but if I get bad vibes from the person I simply answer 'Kankoku no doko desu ka?' (Which part of Korea are you from'?) Or the Chugoku (China) version. You should see the looks on their faces!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.