Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disillusioned

Disillusioned

Old Jul 16th 2010, 11:54 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disillusioned

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8703587]
Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Well, thankfully I wasn't actually 100% serious here... It's not like I'm going to actually walk off and leave someone hanging. Maybe I should have rephrased that as "some days I don't feel like responding."

Unfortunately at this stage I now feel more unwelcome in this forum than "out there" so I think I'll just stop talking now. Sadly I'm not an "old timer" - I have very few posts to my name and it seems one can't write in an animated manner here and be a newbie without being...well, quite frankly attacked, really. So I'm off. Best stick to people who actually ARE interested in getting to know me.

Well I happened to agree with you, and what you said was very well put. You sound like a super person to me, and I think we'd have fun having a larf over a cup of tea and discussing some real issues. Cheers!

Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:01 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I had a 3yr bachelor degree in nursing from Australia, and had also done 2 yrs postgrad.

It's going to take me 3-4 years, but I had 3 semesters off recently due to personal circumstances, and I am doing very part time as I work full-time on a working visa (so have to maintain my job). Usually takes 2-4 yrs depending on how many classes you take at one time.

I am very lucky that my boss is awesome, and totally works around my needs. Up until now, I've just had theory/lab classes (patho, stats, ethics, EBP etc) so classes have been 4-8 one night a week, for example. The school is over the road so I used to run across after work.

As of next semester, I have clinical 1 day a week from 8-4 then class 4-6, so I will be working 4 x 10hrs instead of 5 x 8's. I'll worry about the next clinical block when it happens!

Specialty depends totally on the school. My school has FNP, PNP, ACNP etc. I am not interested in primary/office care, so I am doing ACNP. That qualifies you to care for "acutely ill" people ie. hospitalized.

We do then have the option of one of their subspecialties or you can make your own. I am doing cardiac; you can do critical care, trauma, oncology etc at my uni.

You might want to look at the womens health ones and do ACNP certificate post-masters if you can't find one that meets your needs. The other thing is to do your clinicals in the areas you want to work - if you do ACNP, and can find a floor that looks after gyne patients for one of your chosen clinicals, then you can work in that area.

Heaps. I took it pretty soon after I got there, maybe a month after. If you've worked critical care for any length of time, it's not really hard. I do understand they've changed it recently though. I used (and HIGHLY recommend) the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review tapes - I put it in my car and her tips were very close to the exam.

Sorry for the essay!
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! It will probably take me longer as I don't have my BSN yet so I'd have to do the both together. That's ok though...I'm not going anywhere. What's Stats and Ethics like? Is it hard? Deathly boring? I just have images of my eyes glazing over! I've even heard of some courses making you take religion, and I fail to see how that has anything to do with my job! ACNP sounds right up my street. I will surely investigate that. I have spent my entire 20 year career working in major university hospitals in large metropolitan areas. I love acute care.

Thanks, I actually just bought the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review DVDs! They have had such a great reputation. I also ordered the Pass CCRN book which I heard is excellent. I'm giving myself plenty of time so I can ease into it. I have 6 years Critical Care background and I start my new CICU job in a week and a half, so I'll need to get acclimatised to that too. Thanks for all the info! Maybe I'll bug you for more info in the future!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:01 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

OK...who the hell is leaving here?

Wilmore would have been proud of this lot.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SagenOnion
OK...who the hell is leaving here?

Wilmore would have been proud of this lot.
Nutmegger has been nutmegged by the curse of Willmore
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:13 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Nutmegger has been nutmegged by the curse of Willmore
So JayBowyer is the one thinking of leaving?

I am not going to touch their quotes for fear of catching something.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:33 am
Rock Goddess

Well I'm not budging...it's my thread!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:43 am
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Well I'm not budging...it's my thread! http://smilearchive.com/s/otn/confused/bluThinking.gif
Don't.

I purely commented because I absolutely hate seeing people leave either by choice or being banned. It takes all sorts. JayBowyer seems to me to be someone that should stick around.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, they seemed to know that one.. "Microsoft" or "Nirvana". aka 'Below Canada"
When I'm in Europe I describe where I live as "about a five hour drive from Chicago".
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a couple of answers to the inevitable questions, ( I used to bartend ).

Q. Where are you from.

A. Texas, I bought a dialect on tape course, unfortunately I picked this one, ( Manchester/Cheshire ).

Q. What made you come here.

A. I won a ticket to the US. It was on a radio quiz show ...... Pause........I'm trying to win another one so I can get back!

Oh ! And when they insist that I am Irish ??? I tell them I grew up 50 miles east of Dublin ...usually gets a free pint.

I think it's much better to have fun with it, or be gracious, after all , it's never going to stop.

Mick

This actually happened........

Logger type fellow, " what do you miss most about England ? Me, " Indian food ".

Logger, " whats so special about venison and acorns ?

Last edited by coastieexpat; Jul 17th 2010 at 2:17 am. Reason: typo
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:14 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Don't.

I purely commented because I absolutely hate seeing people leave either by choice or being banned. It takes all sorts. JayBowyer seems to me to be someone that should stick around.
I agree.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:30 am
Dis-Member

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
For goodness sakes SnO give it a rest...she's in the past.
You are way off base with that JG.

You know damn well my feelings about banned members, any banned members, and this comment had nothing to do with it. I don't think that JayBowyer should be put in a situation where she feels that she needs to leave. Her few posts, to me, showed someone that would be a positive to a forum that is becoming increasingly negative.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Thank you so much for taking the time to explain! It will probably take me longer as I don't have my BSN yet so I'd have to do the both together. That's ok though...I'm not going anywhere. What's Stats and Ethics like? Is it hard? Deathly boring? I just have images of my eyes glazing over! I've even heard of some courses making you take religion, and I fail to see how that has anything to do with my job! ACNP sounds right up my street. I will surely investigate that. I have spent my entire 20 year career working in major university hospitals in large metropolitan areas. I love acute care.
Honestly, so far I've enjoyed the classes - challenging, but definitely doable. Managed a 4.0 GPA so far, so can't be too hard haha!! I even enjoyed research/stats because I had a great teacher (and I hate stats). Definitely sounds like ACNP is up your alley. Just do lots of reading online - most schools have lots of info online and you can really pick your school by the specialties offered.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:31 am
Rock Goddess

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
Here's a couple of answers to the inevitable questions, ( I used to bartend ).

Q. Where are you from.

A. Texas, I bought a dialect on tape course, unfortunately I picked this one, ( Manchester/Cheshire ).

Q. What made you come here.

A. I won a ticket to the US. It was on a radio quiz show ...... Pause........I'm trying to win another one so I can get back!

Oh ! And when they insist that I am Irish ??? I tell them I grew up 50 miles east of Dublin ...usually gets a free pint.

I think it's much better to have fun with it, or be gracious, after all , it's never going to stop.

Mick

This actually happened........

Logger type fellow, " what do you miss most about England ? Me, " Indian food ".

Logger, " whats so special about venison and acorns ?

Love it! I think I'm going to use that! Love the one about winning the ticket on the radio...brilliant! BTW...what is so special about venison and acorns?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:32 am
Rock Goddess

Originally Posted by augigi
Honestly, so far I've enjoyed the classes - challenging, but definitely doable. Managed a 4.0 GPA so far, so can't be too hard haha!! I even enjoyed research/stats because I had a great teacher (and I hate stats). Definitely sounds like ACNP is up your alley. Just do lots of reading online - most schools have lots of info online and you can really pick your school by the specialties offered.
That's a relief to hear! Sounds like you're doing great! Thanks again for the advice. It's going to be a long road but one that's definitely worth it.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 4:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
When I'm in Europe I describe where I live as "about a five hour drive from Chicago".
'But, but.. that's a three day car trip!'

You are way off base with that JG.

You know damn well my feelings about banned members, any banned members, and this comment had nothing to do with it. I don't think that JayBowyer should be put in a situation where she feels that she needs to leave. Her few posts, to me, showed someone that would be a positive to a forum that is becoming increasingly negative.
She's really funny and clever, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.