Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by Ukrainian
Thank you very much. But it's probably very expensive. Can you tell me how much is a lesson?
roughly speaking
There's a national organisation of literacy volunteers. In most places in the US, you can get one-on-one english as a second language tuition free of charge. Of course, there are classes too, many of which will have a fee. Ask at your public library, or look on the web for literacy volunteers..
Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Ukrainian will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by robin1234
There's a national organisation of literacy volunteers. In most places in the US, you can get one-on-one english as a second language tuition free of charge. Of course, there are classes too, many of which will have a fee. Ask at your public library, or look on the web for literacy volunteers..
Oh. I didn't know about it. Thanks. I will follow your advice. Thanks for your reply
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:00 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

There might be a fee, there might not. Most adult education classes or similar programs charge - or not - for a series of lessons, not individual lessons.

Stay away from the numerous for-profit community college programs, which are very expensive.

Regards, JEff

Thank you very much. But it's probably very expensive.

Can you tell me how much is a lesson?
roughly speaking
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much. But it's probably very expensive. Can you tell me how much is a lesson?
roughly speaking
Try this:
http://www.eslgo.com/classes.html
Old Dec 13th 2012, 7:41 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Watching lots of tv especially childrens programmes and lunch-time soap-operas helps
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
There might be a fee, there might not. Most adult education classes or similar programs charge - or not - for a series of lessons, not individual lessons.

Stay away from the numerous for-profit community college programs, which are very expensive.

Regards, JEff
Thanks. Just wondering, how much is a college program ?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JRG67
Watching lots of tv especially childrens programmes and lunch-time soap-operas helps
I constantly watch the movies, BBC and the other lessons. But watching childrens programmes it's a good idea. I'll try. Thanks.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
At first I will translate Thanks.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
........ Stay away from the numerous for-profit community college programs, which are very expensive.
They are? ..... round here (east coast states) community colleges are (i) not "for-profit", and (ii) not expensive. They're state/ local government owned and run, and at the bargain basement end of post-secondary education. Two years at a community college followed by transferring for two years at a regular college is widely recognised as the cheapest way to get a bachelor's degree.

Now, there are also for-profit colleges that offer things like automotive or motorcycle engineering, medical or legal secretarial, and beauty therapy; and they are expensive, and notorious for turning out "graduates" who are unable to find employment in the area of their chosen qualification.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:13 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I constantly watch the movies, BBC and the other lessons. But watching childrens programmes it's a good idea. I'll try. Thanks.
Where are you living now?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Where are you living now?
I live in Ukraine. Odessa And you ?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:20 pm
Banned

I live in Ukraine. Odessa And you ?
UK. London

Reading comics is also a good way to learn spoken English (slang). If you are going to the US, read "The Simpsons" and watch "Family Guy" and maybe "South Park"!!
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

UK. London

Reading comics is also a good way to learn spoken English (slang). If you are going to the US, read "The Simpsons" and watch "Family Guy" and maybe "South Park"!!
I'm glad that I registered at forum. Thank you very much for advice. I will.
Is this animated cartoon according to american slang ?
Sorry for mistakes
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:16 pm
Banned

I'm glad that I registered at forum. Thank you very much for advice. I will.
Is this animated cartoon according to american slang ?
Sorry for mistakes
Yes. They are all American. Karaoke is also a good way to learn a language

Are you an artist?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:54 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. These are the ones to attend
Originally Posted by Pulaski
They are? ..... round here (east coast states) community colleges are (i) not "for-profit", and (ii) not expensive. They're state/ local government owned and run, and at the bargain basement end of post-secondary education. Two years at a community college followed by transferring for two years at a regular college is widely recognised as the cheapest way to get a bachelor's degree.
Like I said, stay away from the for-profit ones. Go to the public ones.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Now, there are also for-profit colleges that offer things like automotive or motorcycle engineering, medical or legal secretarial, and beauty therapy; and they are expensive, and notorious for turning out "graduates" who are unable to find employment in the area of their chosen qualification.
Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.