Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Wikiposts

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Dec 9th 2012, 9:56 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Embracing people, agreeing to disagree? Doesn't sound like the America I know. I guess that applies as long as you're not a liberal and don't dare question the status quo. I'm not trying to insult or disrespect you in any way UKWinds. I've just witnessed too many right-wing blowhards who don't seem to be capable of respecting or tolerating any difference of opinion.

The notion of celebrating 'Britishness' - that just seems weird and cheesy to me. We're also a melting pot of a country too and have taken in immigrants of not only different countries, but also radically different faiths. For all the bad press, I think we've done an ok job.
I'm sure the UK has done better than ok, infact a great job I'm sure. The UK is a wonderful country.

ETU, the beauty of democracy is the right to freedom of opinion.If some right wing nutty is stopped from expressing their thoughts just because I don't agree with them, then how can any of us be sure that our rights will not be taken away? The BNP or the KKK, and everyone else should be afforded the right to freedom of speech.Doesn't mean we have to support them. The truth is, once more people hear the thoughts of extremist the more people will reject that type of behavior and thinking.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:16 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

There are many different ethnic groups / Americans from other states in Florida in general. The problem is that the population here is so transient and so spread out, that there's no real sense of community in most places. People come here for sunshine, retirees come here to die, Cubans / Latin Americans come to South Florida to escape Castro or whatever. It's an odd mix of people in general and none of them seem to know how to drive without endangering life.
+1.

A few friends of mine were comparing notes, and in their opinions the states on the east coast offering the best community feel is in, North Carolina,Connecticut,some of New Jersey,Rhode Island,parts of west coast florida. Of course a community feel can be found some where even if scarcely in most every state but the above states offer several cities to pick from.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:17 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Hey Ethel? Are you running for mayor?
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:19 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Hey Ethel? Are you running for mayor?
Nah, Governor.

I'd run for president, if it weren't for the birth certificate thing.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:22 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
+1.

A few friends of mine were comparing notes, and in their opinions the states on the east coast offering the best community feel is in, North Carolina,Connecticut,some of New Jersey,Rhode Island,parts of west coast florida. Of course a community feel can be found some where even if scarcely in most every state but the above states offer several cities to pick from.
I thought MA would have the same sense of community I was used to back home, but people there seemed snobby and status oriented. I'm not saying that's ALL of the state, but it's what I experienced.

I'd love to give another part of the northeast a chance before I decide to piss off home. Maine, New Hampshire are possibilities. Vermont too, if I could get a job there.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I'm sure the UK has done better than ok, infact a great job I'm sure. The UK is a wonderful country.

ETU, the beauty of democracy is the right to freedom of opinion.If some right wing nutty is stopped from expressing their thoughts just because I don't agree with them, then how can any of us be sure that our rights will not be taken away? The BNP or the KKK, and everyone else should be afforded the right to freedom of speech.Doesn't mean we have to support them. The truth is, once more people hear the thoughts of extremist the more people will reject that type of behavior and thinking.
I don't want to stop anyone from airing their views. What I do find hypocritical from the other side is that they're not prepared to just agree to disagree. They have to be right, no compromise, no middle ground. Everything is black or it's white, rather than different shades of grey.

Both the US and UK have taken in lots of immigrants. I generally think that both have done a pretty good job, in that regard.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:27 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I don't want to stop anyone from airing their views. What I do find hypocritical from the other side is that they're not prepared to just agree to disagree. They have to be right, no compromise, no middle ground. Everything is black or it's white, rather than different shades of grey.

Both the US and UK have taken in lots of immigrants. I generally think that both have done a pretty good job, in that regard.
So you are into "Fifty Shades of Grey"??
Interesting.
You are sounding very presidential recently, if you don't mind me saying so
Old Dec 9th 2012, 11:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting to note that for much of the twentieth century, the UK took in more immigrants from the US than the USA took in from the UK.
Old Dec 9th 2012, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought MA would have the same sense of community I was used to back home, but people there seemed snobby and status oriented. I'm not saying that's ALL of the state, but it's what I experienced.

I'd love to give another part of the northeast a chance before I decide to piss off home. Maine, New Hampshire are possibilities. Vermont too, if I could get a job there.
I think you'd love Burlington, VT. Vermont in general has to be one of the most convivial and beautiful places I've ever visited.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:38 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I think you'd love Burlington, VT. Vermont in general has to be one of the most convivial and beautiful places I've ever visited.
Brattleboro is a nice city too. Incredible buildings (many old repurposed mills & factories), at least one very good brewpub, several Indian restaurants and shops selling Indian & south asian tchotchkes (seems to be a significant south asian community there.) LOTS of bookshops also.

We like to visit Burlington in the winter, it is so mild there (the large body of water in Lake Champlain keeps the temperatures comparatively high.)
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Brattleboro is a nice city too. Incredible buildings (many old repurposed mills & factories), at least one very good brewpub, several Indian restaurants and shops selling Indian & south asian tchotchkes (seems to be a significant south asian community there.) LOTS of bookshops also.

We like to visit Burlington in the winter, it is so mild there (the large body of water in Lake Champlain keeps the temperatures comparatively high.)
Lake Champlain is stunning...there's a wonderful bike path that runs alongside it.
I'm wondering why Ethel moved to Florida in the first place?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:42 am
Banned

Lake Champlain is stunning...there's a wonderful bike path that runs alongside it.
Look at the video he posted earlier!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

and a sea monster too!@@!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 1:20 am
Heading for Poppyland

I keep trying to get my wife to agree to a transatlantic crossing on the QM or a cruise in the Baltic or similar.. her response is the ferry from New York State to Vermont that we take en route to Boston or Cape Cod is as much cruising as she wants to do. It is spectacular but only takes ten minutes.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd love to cross over to upstate NY, I've heard it's absolutely stunning. Are you near the finger lakes region?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.