Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Oct 1st 2021, 11:13 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by robin1234
For twenty five years, I’ve flown to London from Ottawa, Air Canada. Free booze and lashings of it. The cabin crew are pretty much on the continuum, from your favourite aunt to Attila the Hun, and everything in between. But I always felt at home there. In current conditions, flying from Canada isn’t an option .. so I’ve been forced reluctantly into this IAD - LHR on United thing. I never normally fly on US airlines (except Cape Air, Cessna 403s) so it’ll be all new for me.
United flight was fine, I was on the 10.30pm flight, so grabbed a quite nice burger in the airport before boarding so I could maximise my sleeping time and not bother with the airline food. The one thing they didn't provide in economy or premium economy and always used to was a pillow and blanket - they were only set out on the bigger seats further forward I always travel with a neck pillow and a lightweight wrap in my hand luggage so I was OK, but I thought I would forewarn you.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 12:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
United flight was fine, I was on the 10.30pm flight, so grabbed a quite nice burger in the airport before boarding so I could maximise my sleeping time and not bother with the airline food. The one thing they didn't provide in economy or premium economy and always used to was a pillow and blanket - they were only set out on the bigger seats further forward I always travel with a neck pillow and a lightweight wrap in my hand luggage so I was OK, but I thought I would forewarn you.

Strange. Even budget Aer Lingus issued those.

Old Oct 1st 2021, 12:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. On Air Canada, there was pillow + blanket even in regular economy.

As for timing, the thing I disliked about the AC flight from Ottawa was that it usually left around 22:30, meaning they are serving a full dinner at like midnight, which is, honestly, ridiculous. My United flight from IAD is at 18:30, which, to me, is much more civilized, since it means that at least the first half of the flight is a time I’d be up anyway. I’m flying premium economy. And I’d rather arrive at LHR at 06:30 than at 10:00 or whatever.

(I never ate the midnight dinner, but I found the rich cooking smells that accompanied the food service to be quite nauseating at that time of night.)

Whichever way you play it, though, I hate overnight flights. Once, from Ottawa, I paid thousands extra to go business class. Honestly, it was only marginally better than flying economy. You still weren’t going to bed for the night, even though lying flat. ..

Last edited by robin1234; Oct 1st 2021 at 12:35 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 1:19 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Strange. Even budget Aer Lingus issued those.
Originally Posted by robin1234
Thanks for that. On Air Canada, there was pillow + blanket even in regular economy.

As for timing, the thing I disliked about the AC flight from Ottawa was that it usually left around 22:30, meaning they are serving a full dinner at like midnight, which is, honestly, ridiculous. My United flight from IAD is at 18:30, which, to me, is much more civilized, since it means that at least the first half of the flight is a time I’d be up anyway. I’m flying premium economy. And I’d rather arrive at LHR at 06:30 than at 10:00 or whatever.
In the past United have always had pillows and blankets placed on the seats right to the back, I don't know if they provided them on request as I snuggled down straight after takeoff. Maybe it is a "covid thing". Premium economy was how I flew and there was plenty of legroom for me at 5'7" tall.

As for timings I prefer the later flight as I am more likely to sleep on it and prefer arriving mid-morning rather than the crack of duckfart
Old Oct 1st 2021, 2:08 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

In the past United have always had pillows and blankets placed on the seats right to the back, I don't know if they provided them on request as I snuggled down straight after takeoff. Maybe it is a "covid thing". Premium economy was how I flew and there was plenty of legroom for me at 5'7" tall.

As for timings I prefer the later flight as I am more likely to sleep on it and prefer arriving mid-morning rather than the crack of duckfart
That is my problem. I absolutely cannot sleep on a flight. I feel pretty bad by the morning, but as soon as I walk out of the plane, adrenaline kicks in and I’m raring to go. So I’d rather that happens at 06:30 than at 10:00. My destination - Costa Coffee and a large Americano. Then I really know I’m in England.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

They were available in economy on the recent United flight I took (IAD to LHR) but you had to ask for one, according to the announcement they made on board.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 8:17 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Mercury39
They were available in economy on the recent United flight I took (IAD to LHR) but you had to ask for one, according to the announcement they made on board.
I must have missed that one - there was a lag between sound through my headphones (plugged into the classical mix) and that over the PA so the announcements were all echo-y and unintelligible. I slept anyway.....