Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Wikiposts

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Aug 15th 2021, 3:39 am
Just Joined

OhioLiz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Hope those of you who have travelled had a smooth time of it. I had read elsewhere that the CVS rapid test does not meet the UK specificity requirements and I'm curious if anyone has any insight? I'm aiming to do the Walgreens Rapid ID but also aware of their appointment shortage (I travel on the 25th and it seems they only show appointments 2 days out). Needless to say, looking for a plan B as CVS has an abundance of appts.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OhioLiz
Hope those of you who have travelled had a smooth time of it. I had read elsewhere that the CVS rapid test does not meet the UK specificity requirements and I'm curious if anyone has any insight? I'm aiming to do the Walgreens Rapid ID but also aware of their appointment shortage (I travel on the 25th and it seems they only show appointments 2 days out). Needless to say, looking for a plan B as CVS has an abundance of appts.
I used the Walgreens not CVS but there's a lot of threads on uktravel reddit where people have used it (and had the same questions about specificity)
Old Aug 15th 2021, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Mind sufficiently at ease...thank you!
Old Aug 15th 2021, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OhioLiz
I used a CVS rapid test and travelled back to the UK successfully yesterday.
Old Aug 15th 2021, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Wonderful! I've booked up for Monday week. Enjoy your visit home!
Old Aug 15th 2021, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

SeattleFreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the passenger locator forms have not been updated since the August 2nd changes. So annoying!
Old Aug 16th 2021, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olly_
I used a CVS rapid test and travelled back to the UK successfully yesterday.
How was immigration ? Doing the trip later this week from Newark.
Old Aug 16th 2021, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Some people have got confused, thinking that because the UK government has relaxed some restrictions for vaccinated people entering after either living in or visiting the US, that this means they are free to enter the US which of course isn't the same thing at all.
The Homeland Security Agent at Heathrow Airport check-in told me last month that they turn away150 people PER DAY away who have turned up to fly to the US for a holiday.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 16th 2021 at 2:25 pm. Reason: Post # 414
Old Aug 16th 2021, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

jammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond reputejammiie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jammiie
The Homeland Security Agent at Heathrow Airport check-in told me last month that they turn around 150 people PER DAY away who have turned up to fly to the US for a holiday.
sorry this should read “turn AWAY 150 people per day who have turned up…”
Old Aug 16th 2021, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chins
How was immigration ? Doing the trip later this week from Newark.
The queue was very disorganized but it didn't take long to get through. The e-gates were in use and nobody checked my paperwork!
Old Aug 17th 2021, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

So.....we were preparing to fly back to the USA from LHR and got a positive antigen lateral flow (LFT) covid test. Has anyone been in this situation? We are trying to figure out what needs to be done next. I know we need to provide documentation of recovery, but that might be a bit tricky fir my wife who is only a US citizen and can't get to a local GP. Would she need to go private?

Also, we read conflicting information about what test (if any) need to happen next. Some .gov.uk sources say a PCr test is required along with 10 day isolation while others only say 10 day isolation is required. My question is whether anyone else has been in this situation and if they did or didn't do a follow up test?
Old Aug 17th 2021, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
So.....we were preparing to fly back to the USA from LHR and got a positive antigen lateral flow (LFT) covid test. Has anyone been in this situation? We are trying to figure out what needs to be done next. I know we need to provide documentation of recovery, but that might be a bit tricky fir my wife who is only a US citizen and can't get to a local GP. Would she need to go private?

Also, we read conflicting information about what test (if any) need to happen next. Some .gov.uk sources say a PCr test is required along with 10 day isolation while others only say 10 day isolation is required. My question is whether anyone else has been in this situation and if they did or didn't do a follow up test?
I read a case on reddit where someone tested positive on Day 5 - then tested negative on Day 8
If they had still tested positive they were going to use a Dr from medicspot to get documentation of recovery so they could get a flight back
Old Aug 17th 2021, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Lateral flow is not a gold standard test. I suggest you do a PCR test.

As for doctors' note re: "recovery", you can book a private GP for under £100.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
Lateral flow is not a gold standard test. I suggest you do a PCR test.

As for doctors' note re: "recovery", you can book a private GP for under £100.
If I took a PCr test now and it was negative, would it enable me to fly home earlier? I was under the impression that a positive test activates a 10 day self isolation period and prohibits me from flying home.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

If I took a PCr test now and it was negative, would it enable me to fly home earlier? I was under the impression that a positive test activates a 10 day self isolation period and prohibits me from flying home.
I dont think the airline check-in staff would be aware of your previous positive test and would only be looking for a negative test?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.