Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jul 26th 2021, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

Scot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really niceScot1 is just really nice
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
According to Philk, the Walgreens IDNow test (same day results) is fine for entry to the UK.

Afraid I don't know if you can use the Day 8 to return, but review the thread because I think I saw mention of it being possible somewhere up thread.
Yeah, I will peruse the thread again - thank you.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scot1
Yeah, I will peruse the thread again - thank you.
Problem with the Day 8 test could be getting the results back in time - so I would go for a rapid antigen test, plenty of places doing it, I'm going to be using ExpressTest at Heathrow, results back in an hour
Old Jul 26th 2021, 12:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Just maybe there's hope on the horizon for Brits with non-UK-administered vaccines? Credit to Jersey Girl for finding the info.

(I know, it's the Daily Mail, but bear with me here.)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sed-month.html
Old Jul 26th 2021, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Just maybe there's hope on the horizon for Brits with non-UK-administered vaccines? Credit to Jersey Girl for finding the info.

fingers crossed….
Old Jul 26th 2021, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

This story is also reported in other outlets.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

I am already wondering how they will require the GP's to be involved. That seems cumbersome relative to having some sort of app that would allow validation of foreign vaccinations. Visiting a GP in the area my family live to have my status verifies would likely require an appointment. That is not going to be easy to get within 5 days of landing. Wait times are horrible.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony

I am already wondering how they will require the GP's to be involved. That seems cumbersome relative to having some sort of app that would allow validation of foreign vaccinations. Visiting a GP in the area my family live to have my status verifies would likely require an appointment. That is not going to be easy to get within 5 days of landing. Wait times are horrible.
I assume you'll be able to email them or send some kind of form?
Old Jul 26th 2021, 1:42 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
This story is also reported in other outlets.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...droidApp_Other

Originally Posted by postbox134
I assume you'll be able to email them or send some kind of form?

It isn't clear what/if you can do this anyway if you have been away a long time and are not registered with a UK GP and do not have a UK address (ie not just working abroad for a year or two). The Guardian article implies that this might be addressed separately.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 4:11 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have taken the plunge and book a trip to the UK for 21st September to 8th October. Currently prices are favourable for flying out of our local airport (15 mins from home) rather than schlepping to a major airport which would be cheaper but less convenient. Hoping that by then the quarantine requirements have been lifted for UK citizens, but we shall see. I wanted to get my trip booked before demand and prices potentially rise when/if the restrictions become less stringent.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FroggyFrog
Bad News - The Lift is not for tomorrow... From Reuters

So this implies there is zero chance currently of the US being one of the countries to 'recognise' the validity of the NHS app for UK visitors to the US, which in turn means its unlikely that the UK would recognise fully vaccinated travellers from the USA - so no reciprocity!

The GP requirement is asinine - the number of British expats who would remain registered with a GP must be staggeringly low (I am not even sure how you could do this anyway?). In addition, even opening this up to British expats without a GP does not help those expats with a US spouse, of which there must be a high number as well.
Old Jul 26th 2021, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
In addition, even opening this up to British expats without a GP does not help those expats with a US spouse, of which there must be a high number as well.
Exactly the position I'm in. Would assume I'd get the cold shoulder were I to drop the wife at the house or hotel before going off out to the pub.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

chesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond reputechesterton_fan has a reputation beyond repute

All,

I'm set to travel to the UK in August with my wife and family for 3 weeks. (I'm a GCH British Citizen, my wife and kids are all dual citizens.)

As ever, this forum (and this thread in particular) have been very helpful in figuring what's going on, in this case how to do post-Covid travel.

I had a few questions:

- The UK requires pre-entry testing for anyone aged 10+. (I'm aware the Day 2, 5 and 8 tests have different age reqs.) All my kids are under 10, so they don't need to be tested at this stage to meet the UK requirements. We are flying AA: does AA have its own age requirements, separate from the UK? Do I need to get anyone under 10 tested before flying on AA? The AA website is not clear.
- Until recently, the UK did not allow people to exit the country without a 'good reason'. Presumably, if this were re-instated, being resident overseas (even while being a UKC only) would be a good reason? I can't believe this wouldn't be the case but just want to check. I couldn't find the answer on the gov.uk websites at the time.
- I'm going to buy these tests for re-entry to the US: https://www.emed.com/products/covid-...stkit-six-pack (thanks to Russet for the tip, back on page 12). They say they're good only for people aged 4+. CDC requires test for people age 2+. I have a 2 year-old. I guess I'll be taking her to a testing centre separately?
- Another question about these eMed tests: they come in a six-pack. I assume it's one test per person for entry to the US? They only ask for the names of three people when I buy them, so I wonder if that will cause problems later on?

Thanks
CF
Old Jul 27th 2021, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

The Times has a story that American Travelers will soon not be required to go into quarantine and that the paper CDC document will be enough

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3...b5c307df5d889f
Old Jul 27th 2021, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by dave2702
The Times has a story that American Travelers will soon not be required to go into quarantine and that the paper CDC document will be enough

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3...b5c307df5d889f

This thing goes back and forth like nobody's business.

So UK residents who got a vaccine in the UK will be able to return to the UK and avoid quarantine.
If the thing above goes through, Americans with the CDC card would be allowed to avoid quarantine in the UK.
What about British citizens in the US, vaccinated in the US and resident in the US but visiting the UK? Would they also avoid quarantine if the above measure goes through?

Sigh.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

So UK residents who got a vaccine in the UK will be able to return to the UK and avoid quarantine.
If the thing above goes through, Americans with the CDC card would be allowed to avoid quarantine in the UK.
What about British citizens in the US, vaccinated in the US and resident in the US but visiting the UK? Would they also avoid quarantine if the above measure goes through?

Sigh.
The Guardian article on this describes that the proposed changes in Wednesdays meeting, will include treating Britons vaccinated in the US the same as those vaccinated in the UK. To me that would suggest that a Dual citizen, for example, would need to test before departure and on arrival (Day 2) without a mandatory quarantine (aside from a positive Day 2 test of course).

I'm traveling on August 3rd and have my fingers crossed even though it will be a little bitter to swallow the cost of the testing which I have already paid for!
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh.
Great news Lion, no quarantine for you https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.