Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jul 16th 2021, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Thanks. When I read through the requirements for entry into the UK it seems relatively straightforward albeit cumbersome to have to take all of the tests although that is understandable. I was wondering what documentation you brought as evidence to support your adherence to the 10 day quarantine period requirements etc? I am unaware of anything that makes me think the evidence required would be different between dual citizens and US only citizens, but I wanted to check with someone who has experience of doing it. Guidance is changing and sometimes it is hard to keep up.
Thanks!
Old Jul 16th 2021, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
. I was wondering what documentation you brought as evidence to support your adherence to the 10 day quarantine period requirements etc? I am unaware of anything that makes me think the evidence required would be different between dual citizens and US only citizens, but I wanted to check with someone who has experience of doing it.
Thanks!
Transiting through DUB I was initially asked for proof of a hotel reservation (which is a red list requirement, not amber) before boarding the BHX flight but I showed I was staying with family and had a printout of my UK passenger locator form.

As mentioned further up I was phoned daily by test and trace UK for the first week. Seems like they lost interest after a while.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 4:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I see Canada is talking about allowing fully vaccinated people into the Country soon, from the USA, and then the rest of the world from September.
It already is, it was introduced on 5th July. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

HTH.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It already is, it was introduced on 5th July. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...ntering-canada

HTH.
If you have a good reason - "Foreign nationals aren’t eligible to enter Canada to visit, or for tourism at this time"
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Old Jul 16th 2021, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. When I read through the requirements for entry into the UK it seems relatively straightforward albeit cumbersome to have to take all of the tests although that is understandable. I was wondering what documentation you brought as evidence to support your adherence to the 10 day quarantine period requirements etc? I am unaware of anything that makes me think the evidence required would be different between dual citizens and US only citizens, but I wanted to check with someone who has experience of doing it. Guidance is changing and sometimes it is hard to keep up.
Thanks!
Yes, unlike US entry requirements, the UK regulations make no distinction between UK citizens and non-UK citizens, so I wouldn't worry about this. On July 19 people with NHS vaccine can come to the UK from US without 10-day quarantine, which is largely going to mean people who have been previously resident in Britain in order to get the vaccine, have visited the US, and are returning to the UK. But this new rule is not based on citizenship either (i.e. NHS-jabbed non-citizens will not have to quarantine, but non-NHS jabbed UK citizens will)

Also, apart from the passenger locator form, there is no requirement for anyone to bring proof of quarantine (given many will be with family, it is almost impossible to prove this). The proof rests in the NHS calling and/or visiting you at the address you give.

I suppose it is possible that an immigration official would question a non-UK citizen more closely about intentions regarding quarantine (with the presumption that they are less likely to have friends/family in the UK), but, again, the regulations do not ask for any kind of documentary proof.

Some people on here report having regular (daily) phone calls and even several in-person visits while in quarantine. However, my experience was no check of any documentation or intentions at Heathrow other than using the E-gates with passport, no phone calls and no visits. So it is variable.

Last edited by classicmds; Jul 16th 2021 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds
Yes, unlike US entry requirements, the UK regulations make no distinction between UK citizens and non-UK citizens, so I wouldn't worry about this. On July 19 people with NHS vaccine can come to the UK from US without 10-day quarantine, which is largely going to mean people who have been previously resident in Britain in order to get the vaccine, have visited the US, and are returning to the UK. But this new rule is not based on citizenship either (i.e. NHS-jabbed non-citizens will not have to quarantine, but non-NHS jabbed UK citizens will)

Also, apart from the passenger locator form, there is no requirement for anyone to bring proof of quarantine (given many will be with family, it is almost impossible to prove this). The proof rests in the NHS calling and/or visiting you at the address you give.

I suppose it is possible that an immigration official would question a non-UK citizen more closely about intentions regarding quarantine (with the presumption that they are less likely to have friends/family in the UK), but, again, the regulations do not ask for any kind of documentary proof.

Some people on here report having regular (daily) phone calls and even several in-person visits while in quarantine. However, my experience was no check of any documentation or intentions at Heathrow other than using the E-gates with passport, no phone calls and no visits. So it is variable.
Thank you very much for this response. i appreciate it..
I have been trying to get home so that much UK resident parents can meet their grandchild for the first time. As the trip gets closer and I read more about the frustrations of travellers with the traffic light system and feeling like they cannot travel, I am wondering if I am overlooking a barrier to entry into the UK or return into the USA, other than the inconvenience, expense and time associated with isolating and covid testing.

Good to know that no proof is likely to be requested if staying with family other than the mandatory forms. That would be hard to produce.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 8:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
I see Canada is talking about allowing fully vaccinated people into the Country soon, from the USA, and then the rest of the world from September. Would assume that hasn't been considered in isolation.

edit: and the USA is expecting news in the next few days
Fingers crossed…

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ys-2021-07-15/
Old Jul 16th 2021, 9:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
If you have a good reason - "Foreign nationals aren’t eligible to enter Canada to visit, or for tourism at this time"
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start
Yes, was just pointing out that fully vaccinated are already allowed in.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much for this response. i appreciate it..
I have been trying to get home so that much UK resident parents can meet their grandchild for the first time. As the trip gets closer and I read more about the frustrations of travellers with the traffic light system and feeling like they cannot travel, I am wondering if I am overlooking a barrier to entry into the UK or return into the USA, other than the inconvenience, expense and time associated with isolating and covid testing.

Good to know that no proof is likely to be requested if staying with family other than the mandatory forms. That would be hard to produce.
Yeah, ironically I felt that I was in a better position that UK people trying to go on holiday; I knew I had family to quarantine with (and unlike going on holiday, the point of the visit was to see family not the sites), and I knew I could definitely return back to the US. I agree the testing and quarantine seems a bit daunting, but once you start doing it it is is not as bad as it seems in the abstract!
Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:59 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds

I still don't understand how staying in close quarters with one's family can be considered "quarantine." You stay in your room and they leave food outside the door? Surely, family members are the people we most want to protect after being cooped up with strangers over many hours of travel.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I still don't understand how staying in close quarters with one's family can be considered "quarantine." You stay in your room and they leave food outside the door? Surely, family members are the people we most want to protect after being cooped up with strangers over many hours of travel.
The guidance on this points you to the recommendations for people who are C-19 positive. It says you should keep your distance from other family members and stay in a well-ventilated room away from others.

But there is of course no way to legally enforce this.

Also, you are allowed to use public transport to get to your destination, and to stop and get food on the way.

I suppose it's all about minimization of risk -- i.e. better just one family than everyone in the pub every night.

But of course it's also odd because similar vaccination rates in both US and UK would seem to mean that a visitor is as likely to have it as a resident, but residents are not isolated and tested every few days.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Dougiethenoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone used the Heathrow fast-track for vaccinated arrivals? We are US resident Brits with CDC vaccination cards but need to return home to the UK in August to see the family. Do you still need to quarantine for 10 days if you have a CDC card and pre-register with the airline?
Old Jul 18th 2021, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dougiethenoo
Has anyone used the Heathrow fast-track for vaccinated arrivals? We are US resident Brits with CDC vaccination cards but need to return home to the UK in August to see the family. Do you still need to quarantine for 10 days if you have a CDC card and pre-register with the airline?
There's no recognition of anything other than NHS-administered vaccines in terms of entering the UK from an Amber country (i.e. the US). You will need to get in the regular UK passport line and then head to quarantine in a location of your choice for 10 days, with a test on day 2 and 8, and an optional one on day 5 to get you out of quarantine early if it comes back negative.

Details are here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-ambe...and#amber-list

Last edited by classicmds; Jul 18th 2021 at 4:18 am.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

So the UK level has been raised to very high by the CDC, should I be cancelling my plans to go there this week or are they being cautious?
Double vaccinated but paranoid about testing positive and getting stuck there

( how would you get back if you did test positive?)
Old Jul 19th 2021, 5:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
So the UK level has been raised to very high by the CDC, should I be cancelling my plans to go there this week or are they being cautious?
Double vaccinated but paranoid about testing positive and getting stuck there

( how would you get back if you did test positive?)

I saw that too. I'm going towards the end of August. They are also being cautious but there is a LOT of covid circulating there. My approach is that I survived the worst here in the US whilst not vaccinated by taking all the precautions, and I can continue to take those in the UK now that I am vaccinated. I don't have to hang out in crowded situations, I can mask, wash my hands, keep my hands out of eyes, nose, mouth, etc. If you simply cannot risk spending extra time there due to a positive covid test, then perhaps consider not going. I can't remember if you are a US citizen or resident, and therefore entitled to return to the US under any circumstances as long as you test negative. If you do test positive, I imagine you have to wait it out until the infection has run its course (hopefully mild because you are vaccinated) and you can test negative again.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 19th 2021 at 5:49 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.