Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Aug 11th 2021, 5:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

So I'm flying Chicago - Dublin - Gatwick, leaving Chicago on Monday. The pre-flight Covid test has to be within 72 hours of flight day. If I take the test on Friday, that works for the Monday 72 hour window, but the connection in Dublin will be Tuesday morning their time, so past the 72 hour window if I test on Friday, and I will have to change planes, although same airline (Aer Lingus) and I stay airside. So does that time lapse matter, ie should I test on the Saturday, not the Friday?

I have a Walgreens ID Now appt booked for Friday, but tomorrow could presumably change it to Saturday if necessary. Can't book that far ahead now.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

SeattleFreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

Flying on Monday, just to clarify can anyone confirm that the Rapid Antigen Test is valid for entering the UK? The test I have scheduled is PCR which has a slower results return.
Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2021, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeattleFreeze
Flying on Monday, just to clarify can anyone confirm that the Rapid Antigen Test is valid for entering the UK? The test I have scheduled is PCR which has a slower results return.
Thanks
I used ID NOW from Walgreens to get into the UK a couple of weeks ago
Old Aug 11th 2021, 6:49 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

The Walgreens ID one has been proven to let people into the UK. It has a 24 hour turnaround, not the 48 that the PCR test requires, but not as fast as the rapid antigen test which is only 2 hours. I'm going with the 24 hour one, Walgreens ID.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Unfortunately the Walgreens ID Now and PCR test never has appointments available in and around my location but the antigen does. I have scheduled a PCR test on Sunday via my Physicians clinic and hope to get the results back in 24 hours.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:04 pm

Unfortunately the Walgreens ID Now and PCR test never has appointments available in and around my location but the antigen does. I have scheduled a PCR test on Sunday via my Physicians clinic and hope to get the results back in 24 hours.
Right. A pity. I snagged one, but they do go quickly.

Hence my question above regarding the 72 hour window, since to get a Saturday appointment I will have to move pretty quickly when that day opens.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Im in a similar boat because im flying out on Monday also. Actually I have the PCR Rite Aid test on Saturday as back up, but this is not guaranteed results in 24 hours. Monday must just be squeaky bum time for us then, LOL!
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:13 pm

Im in a similar boat because im flying out on Monday also. Actually I have the PCR Rite Aid test on Saturday as back up, but this is not guaranteed results in 24 hours. Monday must just be squeaky bum time for us then, LOL!
My Friday Walgreens ID test will be fine for leaving on Monday, my concern is whether it will still be ok for changing planes in Dublin the next morning, because that will be outside of the 72 hour window. But perhaps since I'm not leaving airside Dublin and flying on the same airline, nobody will check? Or care?

I'm considering seeing if I can move it to Saturday, since it's 24 hour results. I don't want to take any risks either way.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

I would move it to be safe. But thats me. I thought it was 72 hours before you depart vs arrive anywhere.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

The UK requirements say three calendar days, not 72 hours - I don't know if transit through another country makes a difference though.

I'm flying to the UK on Saturday evening and did my test at CVS this morning which will be fine, but I'm flying direct.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

Last edited by Olly_; Aug 11th 2021 at 7:38 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 7:39 pm

I would move it to be safe. But thats me. I thought it was 72 hours before you depart vs arrive anywhere.
Originally Posted by Olly_
The UK requirements say three calendar days, not 72 hours - I don't know if transit through another country makes a difference though.

I'm flying to the UK on Saturday evening and did my test at CVS this morning which will be fine, but I'm flying direct.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ing-to-england

Yeah. I may just move it to Saturday, then I'm safe either way.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by classicmds
When I did the CVS test the results document did not show my date of birth. This could be problematic. The Walgreens one did show date of birth. I was glad I got both. Walgreens was also a lot quicker return than CVS (2 hours versus 2 days)
Just to update for future reference, I got my CVS results today and they definitely include date of birth so they will be fine for travel.

Tested at 10am today, result arrived about 4pm.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:40 pm

Just to update for future reference, I got my CVS results today and they definitely include date of birth so they will be fine for travel.

Tested at 10am today, result arrived about 4pm.

Cool. Was this the PCR test?
Old Aug 11th 2021, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, the rapid (antigen) test. I didn't want to risk a PCR test because the turnaround can be a few days and the antigen tests are fine for entry to the UK anyway.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 9:58 pm

No, the rapid (antigen) test. I didn't want to risk a PCR test because the turnaround can be a few days and the antigen tests are fine for entry to the UK anyway.

Right, good to know, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.