Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Old Jul 8th 2021, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current Travel Situation UK to USA?

Originally Posted by Philk
Yeh, it's only for double jabbed Brits returning from holiday so nothing changes for me and you
disappointing, but a step in a good direction. Hopefully it will expand to people fully vaccinated from other countries soon.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercury39
disappointing, but a step in a good direction. Hopefully it will expand to people fully vaccinated from other countries soon.
I would not be at all surprised to understand that this is purely an Admin issue - they can use the NHS App for those that received a jab in the UK but probably haven't thought through all the requirements for checking validity of vaccination of those who received the jab outside the UK. The UK has had a few successes with vaccinations but the Civil Service and Govt offices responsible for things such as border controls aren't really nimble enough for their penchant of making up policy on the fly.

It's a bit funny when you consider the kerfuffle caused when Malta initially said it wouldn't be accepting the NHS App as proof for UK tourists, and there was also something around the vaccine produced in India having technically not gone through the EU approval process, Admin is our true master.
Old Jul 8th 2021, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

brit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond reputebrit_usa2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what this means? I presume it’s still only applicable to US Citizens until the Presidential Ban is lifted?

The move comes as British Airways and Virgin Atlantic reveal plans to trial fast track lanes for fully vaccinated travelers arriving at Heathrow Airport on selected flights.
Four routes will be covered in the scheme, which will allow passengers on flights from Athens, Los Angeles, Montego Bay and New York to Heathrow upload their vaccination status before boarding the aircraft.

Link to Source
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnn...-uk/index.html
Old Jul 8th 2021, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Joint Venture with the two airlines and Heathrow to "prove" the admin hurdle can be overcome, with the aim of pressuring the Govt. to push their changes wider than just UK residents.
Old Jul 9th 2021, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm

Grant Shapps warns of major problems bringing back quarantine-free travel from the US as there are '50 different systems' for proving whether Americans are double-jabbed and some are paper-based rather than digital
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ic-travel.html
Old Jul 10th 2021, 1:52 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
Hmm

Grant Shapps warns of major problems bringing back quarantine-free travel from the US as there are '50 different systems' for proving whether Americans are double-jabbed and some are paper-based rather than digital
Well they're going to have to get used to it. Round here it's just the paper cdc card. I am going to look at my health insurance account to see if they were billed for it in my name, but getting one standard app with the vax records on it is a tall order here with no central system.
Old Jul 10th 2021, 12:17 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm

By volume not all the systems are that relevant. I am sure you can focus on a few key states and capture a lot of the vaccinated / traveling population. Tri State / CA etc will cover a lot.

VAMS is a central system and online. NY has an APP: https://covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov/excelsior-pass
And private providers like clear also have app that will verify you: https://www.clearme.com/healthpass

The airlines will only care about a servive that is accepted abroad, it does not need to cover 100% of vaccinated US people. Why try to deal with FL and places that are blocking a system and even vaccination mandates for cruises… They will have to accept whatever comes along if they want tourists back anyway.

I was reading about the “2 tier” system that will develop globally with vaccinated vs. not… so the US will just end up in that…

Last edited by tht; Jul 10th 2021 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2021, 3:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I got back from the UK at the weekend, ORD-DUB-BHX-DUB-ORD. My experience -
  • IRE requires an RT-PCR test 72 hours beforehand and you have to fill in the Irish passenger locator form both ways - it has an option to say you are not staying in IRE so no problem for transit. Had to show the test result US side before boarding. Same test used for UK entry.
  • Had to show test result, day 2/8 test booking and UK accommodation plans before DUB-BHX boarding
  • BTW, do yourself a favour and print out your forms and test results - much easier when showing officials (although DUB and BHX have free Wi-Fi)
  • All four flights had masses of empty seats. Zero wait at DUB US preclearance - I was the only person when I walked through so the lack of Global Entry made no difference.
  • Couldn't find anywhere locally in the UK to get a same day RT-PCR test but my day 2 and 8 tests arrived on time in the post. Basically didn't care about the results since the day 5 TTR is the one you want (but they came by email in a day or two).
  • Did a day five test to release at Boots, results in email the following afternoon - arrange your flights so you can do this midweek and avoid delayed results over a weekend.
  • Did the same test again for US re-entry requirement. Required at BHX check-in, I saw people turned away. US health declaration form was collected in DUB

Also, UK test and trace phoned about 6 times in the first ten days. No in person visit.
Did the day 2 and 8 tests arrive together, at the same time?

And if you are released after the day 5 test, can you just take the day 8 test with you if you are leaving your quarantine address at that point, and take it later when the time comex?
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

wtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond reputewtkp0u has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Did the day 2 and 8 tests arrive together, at the same time?

And if you are released after the day 5 test, can you just take the day 8 test with you if you are leaving your quarantine address at that point, and take it later when the time comex?
My day 2 and 8 tests arrived in the same package. I assume you can do what you like once you get the day 5 clearance, you are not required to remain in quarantine.

If the result for your day 5 test is negative (and the result of your day 2 test result was negative or inconclusive) you can stop quarantine as soon as you receive the result.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...ational-travel
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Common sense, but still good to know that you don't need to take the Day 8 test if your Test to Release test on Day 5 is negative.
I am planning to go back to the UK on August 3rd (COS- DFW- LHR) with my Wife and Daughter. We are going to isolate at my parents house whilst hopefully testing out of isolation on Day 5.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bullettoothtony
Common sense, but still good to know that you don't need to take the Day 8 test if your Test to Release test on Day 5 is negative.
I am planning to go back to the UK on August 3rd (COS- DFW- LHR) with my Wife and Daughter. We are going to isolate at my parents house whilst hopefully testing out of isolation on Day 5.
You do have to take the day 8 test even if day 5 is negative
Old Jul 13th 2021, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

bullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond reputebullettoothtony has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone on here traveled from the USA with a US citizen (NOT dual citizen) back to the UK? If so, I would be interested to hear of your experience and specifically whether they had to do anything different relative to those with Dual citizenship.
Thanks.
Old Jul 13th 2021, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone on here traveled from the USA with a US citizen (NOT dual citizen) back to the UK? If so, I would be interested to hear of your experience and specifically whether they had to do anything different relative to those with Dual citizenship.
Thanks.
I have, what details are you interested in? It was no biggie as there are no restrictions in place that way.
Old Jul 14th 2021, 1:56 am

You do have to take the day 8 test even if day 5 is negative

Yes, you definitely need to take the Day 8 test, even if the Day 5 test releases you from quarantine. I was just wondering if you could take the Day 8 test with you to another location if necessary, and it seems you can so that's good.

I will also need yet another test to come back to the US of course, making a grand total of 5 tests in one fairly short trip.
Old Jul 16th 2021, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

I see Canada is talking about allowing fully vaccinated people into the Country soon, from the USA, and then the rest of the world from September. Would assume that hasn't been considered in isolation.

edit: and the USA is expecting news in the next few days

Last edited by robtuck; Jul 16th 2021 at 2:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.