Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A cup of ... what???

A cup of ... what???

Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:51 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Default Re: A cup of ... what???

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I tend to gump it only for my wifes elderly relatives who just don't understand me if I speak normally. With Drive thru's you have to bastardize words due to the low education of the workforce. They have enough problems trying to understand local people.

However, my number 1 pet peeve is those damned voice telephone systems which DONT have a number backup. I get sick and tired of hearing " I'm sorry, i didn't understand your response, please choose from the following....". If I have to call one of those places I just hand the phone to my wife once I realize you cant go to numbers.
It's bad enough when the voice recognition system on my mopbile phone doesn't understand me..... all I get some days is "Did you say................?"
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:00 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought it was just xenophobic brits going across the channel for a booze cruise or off to Spain/Greece for a fortnight who refuse to attempt to speak the language of the country they are visiting apparently not
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
I thought it was just xenophobic brits going across the channel for a booze cruise or off to Spain/Greece for a fortnight who refuse to attempt to speak the language of the country they are visiting apparently not

I have no idea which part of the UK you are from, but let us assume you are English.

So when you go to Scotland, Wales or Ireland you start mimicking those accents?

Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well we are British.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:06 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I have no idea which part of the UK you are from, but let us assume you are English.

Or if kate2112 is american, would she put on a canadian accent if she went to Canada or a Caribean accent in the Caribean?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:09 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no, I speak English.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:18 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

When I go to a foreign country I dont expect people to be able to understand my pronunciation of a word unless I am pronouncing it correctly in their language. I am from the UK, I do have a southern England accent and on occasion I have changed/adapted my pronunciation of a word in a part of the UK that has found it difficult to understand my accent without feeling I have mocked or condescended their accent.
American English is rooted in many different countries takes on the English language, it is not derived solely from the British Isles. We dont have to arrogantly pronounce "Water" in the US expecting to be understood and it wont kill us to try. We can adapt gracefully or remain misunderstood.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:19 pm
Junior Showtime

Or if kate2112 is american, would she put on a canadian accent if she went to Canada or a Caribean accent in the Caribean?
She is not and she would adapt to any accent to be understood.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:20 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

When I go to a foreign country I dont expect people to be able to understand my pronunciation of a word unless I am pronouncing it correctly in their language. I am from the UK, I do have a southern England accent and on occasion I have changed/adapted my pronunciation of a word in a part of the UK that has found it difficult to understand my accent without feeling I have mocked or condescended their accent.
American English is rooted in many different countries takes on the English language, it is not derived solely from the British Isles. We dont have to arrogantly pronounce "Water" in the US expecting to be understood and it wont kill us to try. We can adapt gracefully or remain misunderstood.
I'm constantly misunderstood - it's called being married !
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:29 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the problems is that it is the same language. I can speak some french and am not afraid of talking to french people even though I might screw up badly. Here though, I am often scared to attempt to put on too much of an accent with anyone I don't know in case they think I am taking the piss and take offence, especially here in the south with such a strong accent which is often the target of jokes and stereotypes.

Dan
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:33 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

But i do try to alter my pronunciation. I'll add "-oh" to the end of words so they understand me.. throw in a por favor at the end.. and well they are just dumb at that point if they are still having trouble.

"Where-oh Can-oh me-oh rent-oh car-oh por favor?"
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:37 pm
Junior Showtime

I think one of the problems is that it is the same language. I can speak some french and am not afraid of talking to french people even though I might screw up badly. Here though, I am often scared to attempt to put on too much of an accent with anyone I don't know in case they think I am taking the piss and take offence, especially here in the south with such a strong accent which is often the target of jokes and stereotypes.

Dan
True Dan, we do appear to use the same language, but I think our experiences in the US have shown that we arent always able to understand each other without some give and take. Thats pretty much what I would advocate really. Not being too high minded to make yourself understand in the language of the locals. You dont have to mock people to imitate their language. Have you ever heard from a travel courier how Spanish/Italian/French..the list goes on ...appreciate the attempt by visiting tourists to speak a little of their language...well thats how I try to look at it. If I have to change the way I say water/chandler/raspberry it wont kill me
Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Dan

I would just feel silly...
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
I can't eat American plastic cheese, it makes me heave just thinking about it!

I love their Strawberry Limeades, yum!
Ever had cheese in a can? Bloody 'ell stuffs god awful.

ROFL at Waderburger
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:44 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the south I find that sometimes I have to "Gump" my accent to get people to understand me. The word that causes the most problems for me
is strawberry. In the south it is pronounced strawbry, with the r almost being silent. Everytime I order a milkshake it is a russian roulette what flavor I will get.
Eh? We say STRAW-bear-ee here .... though granted Texas is its own country.

however if I am in the UK I will say "strawb'ry" and "raz'b'ry" -- not really changing ACCENT but pronunciation.

And I ask for ice cubes.... failing that, frozen water, ice klontjes (it's something like that in Dutch!), hielo, glace, whatever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.