Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A cup of ... what???

A cup of ... what???

Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:58 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cup of ... what???

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Partystar, you made me vomit! How CREEPY are those guys????
I like them, plus I respect them, because they've made millions doing that! Good for them!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
I like them, plus I respect them, because they've made millions doing that! Good for them!
4 grown men singing toddler songs? Argh...they're creepy!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

4 grown men singing toddler songs? Argh...they're creepy!
WTF are you guys on about now?

Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:10 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
WTF are you guys on about now?

The Wiggles!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Toemaytoes is easy! But I simply cannot say woadder - not without sounding completely ridiculous.

Why should I anyway? Is 'water' really that difficult to understand?
obviously it is my worst experience of asking for water was..

me: bottle of water please

her: a pretzel?

me: no a bottle of water please

her: a salted pretzel:

me: no, water, a bottle of water please, this was said whilst doing the actions of lifting a cup to my mouth

her: sorry, what kind of pretzel again?

me: leans over counter picks up a bottle of water and smacks her round head with it..no one of these please.

****ing dumb ass..
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodsey
obviously it is my worst experience of asking for water was..

me: bottle of water please

her: a pretzel?

me: no a bottle of water please

her: a salted pretzel:

me: no, water, a bottle of water please, this was said whilst doing the actions of lifting a cup to my mouth

her: sorry, what kind of pretzel again?

me: leans over counter picks up a bottle of water and smacks her round head with it..no one of these please.

****ing dumb ass..

And how did the story end?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:19 pm
Back where I belong!

And how did the story end?
She smacked her around the head with the bottle, knocked her out & then proceeded to rob the store! Right Woodsey?!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I've told this one before.

A close friend came over two years into us moving here and was extremely put out when he heard me on the phone to an American friend, as I had 'put on the accent' as he stated, and he really laid into me for trying to be imitate them.

I told him, if I didn't talk like that, she wouldn't understand a word I was saying. He said that he'd never had a problem in any of his trips around the world (not here but elsewhere) with people understanding him..blah blah.

A day or so later we stopped at a light and a tramp asked for the time. He kept saying eight o'clock and the reply of 'huh?' kept coming back to him until I said 'eighta'kluck!'. He apologised to me.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, I tried to order at Sonic the other day, kept asking for a burger, to which I got 'a what?', 'a burger', 'a what?', 'a burger', 'a what?', 'a burger'!

I felt like the Indian lady from Fat Fighters in 'Little Britain'!

Say't again, say't again.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:56 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I said 'eighta'kluck!'. He apologised to me.

So what you're saying is that they understand chickens more than they understand Brits!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

She smacked her around the head with the bottle, knocked her out & then proceeded to rob the store! Right Woodsey?!
exactly..
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I have just finished 2 months of assessing kindergarten children and for the first time I found myself talking with an extremely strong US accent. A few that stick in my mind are..

"How many ducks are in the wadder?"

"Point to the Quadder and the Dime"

"Point to the ledder ..." (repeated several times for different letters)

I don't think they'd have understood my usual accent "How many ducks int' wa'er?". I also had to pronounce Z as zee and R as orrr. My colleague thinks I have todally got the hang of the NJ accent now but I think I sound like Lloyd Grossman.

The 2 words I still refuse to say in public are wadder and pardy.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:20 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

NJ Water- Warder, usually works.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
NJ Water- Warder, usually works.

or woider
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:50 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

The Wiggles!
I like the Wiggles. I think they're great for kids.

Partystar's somewhat biased about the Wiggles. They are Aussies...

NC Penguin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.