Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A cup of ... what???

A cup of ... what???

Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:18 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A cup of ... what???

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I like the Wiggles. I think they're great for kids.

Partystar's somewhat biased about the Wiggles. They are Aussies...

NC Penguin
Yep! They all seem pretty cool too. I give anyone major props that could do that job, because I know I couldn't!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:51 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yep! They all seem pretty cool too. I give anyone major props that could do that job, because I know I couldn't!
That job ? be a WIggle ?????? One of the guys in the office I once worked in was the boyfriend of the guy who wears the Barnie suit on TV ! That must be such a conversation point as a job ! LMAO
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
That job ? be a WIggle ?????? One of the guys in the office I once worked in was the boyfriend of the guy who wears the Barnie suit on TV ! That must be such a conversation point as a job ! LMAO

Yeah, I bet they LMAO straight to the bank.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:04 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by mandpete
or woider
as long as you haven't replaced "hello" with "Ow YOU duin' ?" we'll be OK, although saying that in your accent could be fun ?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:27 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Living in the south I find that sometimes I have to "Gump" my accent to get people to understand me. The word that causes the most problems for me
is strawberry. In the south it is pronounced strawbry, with the r almost being silent. Everytime I order a milkshake it is a russian roulette what flavor I will get

On the flip side, when we lived in the uk, my wife asked a guy at a small local shop "do you have any ice?". With her accent, it sounded like she asked "do you have an arse?"

Dan
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Living in the south I find that sometimes I have to "Gump" my accent to get people to understand me. The word that causes the most problems for me
is strawberry. In the south it is pronounced strawbry, with the r almost being silent. Everytime I order a milkshake it is a russian roulette what flavor I will get

On the flip side, when we lived in the uk, my wife asked a guy at a small local shop "do you have any ice?". With her accent, it sounded like she asked "do you have an arse?"

Dan

That reminds me of the time I was trying to obtain frozen raspberries at our local Safeway...
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:50 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That reminds me of the time I was trying to obtain frozen raspberries at our local Safeway...
do tell
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:55 pm

I had a problem like that recently.....
I found a lost dog in my neighbourhood (sub-division to those 'mericanized ones). I called around and looked in the local paper and found a 'lost dog' notice. I called the number and a alady answered. The conversation went like this:

Me: I calling about your lost dog.

Her: my Wwhhhaat ? (in strong southern drawl).

Me: Your dog

Her: My whhhatttt ?

Me: Your lost dog. I think I may have found your dog....

Me (in my best southern drawl): your daaaaawwwggg...

Her: Ohhhh, my dawwwwgg....

etc etc etc.... <re>
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
I had a problem like that recently.....
I found a lost dog in my neighbourhood (sub-division to those 'mericanized ones). I called around and looked in the local paper and found a 'lost dog' notice. I called the number and a alady answered. The conversation went like this:

Me: I calling about your lost dog.

Her: my Wwhhhaat ? (in strong southern drawl).

Me: Your dog

Me: Your lost dog. I think I may have found your dog....

Me (in my best southern drawl): your daaaaawwwggg...

Her: Ohhhh, my dawwwwgg....

etc etc etc.... <re>
Heehee.....like the second or third month we were here, we decided to suss out the city, so rented for a few months first.

I walked downstairs to the mailbox, only to find the mailman and a downstairs neighbor we'd gotten friendly with, standing around. I turn around and go, 'bills, bills, nothing but bills'. She goes, huh? After a few times, she gets it and says, oh, you mean beeeeeeeeeeellllllllls.

No wonder I use my best southern drawl with some of them...
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:26 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
do tell

Nothing much to tell other than it took two 'sales associates' and a lengthy discussion to find said raspberries...
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing much to tell other than it took two 'sales associates' and a lengthy discussion to find said raspberries...
My daughter was mortified when I asked for raspberries - but it's one of those words I find difficult to bastardize.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:34 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
My daughter was mortified when I asked for raspberries - but it's one of those words I find difficult to bastardize.

You know, I have stopped even trying to 'modify' my accent. In fact, if I want something that might be tricky, I deliberately start off with something along the lines of 'I wonder whether you might be able to help me...'

That way they know immediately that I must be some eccentric Englishwoman, and they have to pay attention!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:42 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Yeah, I refuse to 'bastardize' any words. I just keep repeating myself until they understand. It's against my religion to butcher the English language!

Failing that, I think I will start spelling it out for them, literally!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:46 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Originally Posted by Partystar
Yeah, I refuse to 'bastardize' any words. I just keep repeating myself until they understand. It's against my religion to butcher the English language!

Failing that, I think I will start spelling it out for them, literally!
I tend to gump it only for my wifes elderly relatives who just don't understand me if I speak normally. With Drive thru's you have to bastardize words due to the low education of the workforce. They have enough problems trying to understand local people.

However, my number 1 pet peeve is those damned voice telephone systems which DONT have a number backup. I get sick and tired of hearing " I'm sorry, i didn't understand your response, please choose from the following....". If I have to call one of those places I just hand the phone to my wife once I realize you cant go to numbers.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You know, I have stopped even trying to 'modify' my accent. In fact, if I want something that might be tricky, I deliberately start off with something along the lines of 'I wonder whether you might be able to help me...'

That way they know immediately that I must be some eccentric Englishwoman, and they have to pay attention!

I never try to change my accent/pronunciation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.