Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Culture shocks?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I understand you, lots of people are just the same, they'll eat it but don't like the idea of killing something. No problem there. Some people give no thought on how their meat arrives on the shelf of the supermarket, or how it's killed at the slaughterhouse, and some don't care to know.

Agreed 100% too, the importance of a clean kill can't be overstated enough for me. It was bred into me from the startwhen I was growing up shooting, if you don't think you'll kill it in one shot, then don't even try.
Thanks

I have no problem at all with the idea of killing something. In fact, I actually think if I'm willing to eat it, I should be willing to kill it. Unfortunately, I'm a wimp there.

But, as I said, I'm not good enough for a clean kill - so there I do have some justification.

Odd actually - I'm willing to eat meat, I accept the animals have to die - but to look at THAT particular animal, and perhaps have it look back at me... I just can't. My weakness. Contradiction I guess - I do love animals.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:39 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
but people do
Yeah, sadly they do, some because they're not properly educated, and some because they don't give a deer's tail about it.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:44 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Thanks

I have no problem at all with the idea of killing something. In fact, I actually think if I'm willing to eat it, I should be willing to kill it. Unfortunately, I'm a wimp there.

But, as I said, I'm not good enough for a clean kill - so there I do have some justification.

Odd actually - I'm willing to eat meat, I accept the animals have to die - but to look at THAT particular animal, and perhaps have it look back at me... I just can't. My weakness. Contradiction I guess - I do love animals.

No, not a wimp, not everyone see's the necessity of it. I know my other half wouldn't pull a trigger, but quite happily eats meat.

I love animals too, weird isn't it? I see the wild ones that I'd hunt as being different, they're meat.
I hate to see someone's cat or dog hit on the road, and even worse the dogs that people deliberately shoot or whack over the head with a hammer and dump out of a truck on the side of the road... sickens me that someone would do that just because they get tired of the animal. I see that too often down here.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

No, not a wimp, not everyone see's the necessity of it. I know my other half wouldn't pull a trigger, but quite happily eats meat.

I love animals too, weird isn't it? I see the wild ones that I'd hunt as being different, they're meat.
I hate to see someone's cat or dog hit on the road, and even worse the dogs that people deliberately shoot or whack over the head with a hammer and dump out of a truck on the side of the road... sickens me that someone would do that just because they get tired of the animal. I see that too often down here.
Thanks for understanding

Yes, there is a difference between wild animals and pets that trust us. And horrible when that trust is betrayed.

I've hugged a pet deer though... hard for me to separate.

Interestingly, I didn't have too much sympathy for the beef cows in Arizona - perhaps because they were determined to trample me flat.

I am, however, so afraid of making something suffer. I would not forgive myself.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:52 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for understanding

Yes, there is a difference between wild animals and pets that trust us. And horrible when that trust is betrayed.

Interestingly, I didn't have too much sympathy for the beef cows in Arizona - perhaps because they were determined to trample me flat.

I am, however, so afraid of making something suffer. I would not forgive myself.
Tracy - its probably a bit early to be hitting the wine dear. This sounds like the ramblings of a deserted wife

Nite all
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Tracy - its probably a bit early to be hitting the wine dear. This sounds like the ramblings of a deserted wife

Nite all
No it isn't too early - it's dinner time How could I possibly eat Beouf Bourignon without wine?

But... that sounds a bit rambling in itself - deserted wife? Huh? (ah well, it's ok - if it's your bedtime it's not too early for you to hit the wine )
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:55 am
Banned

Thanks for understanding

I understand perfectly.

I've seen pet deer, and we even have deer down the street from us that I love to watch, I'd never ever want to see them out of their natural habitat there they're too beautiful just to see walking around in the open property near the people's house.

Yeah cattle are just meat, arent they? A lot of people love their cows though, and a lot have names. Different from the steers or bulls.

You'll never have to make anything suffer, so no need to worry I'd say

Time to go and eat some of that meat now... dinner time
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
hanging meat is old fashioned and doesnt happen so much in the uk now. hence why a lot of the meat you find in the supermarkets there is bland and unappetising. You can taste the difference with a bit of beef that has been hung and a bit that hasnt.
One of my local grocery stores has a meat counter that sells USDA Choice, USDA Prime, and Aged USDA Prime - the aged being hung for some time in their 'lockers' in the back. I seem to recall a 'Choice' Ribeye was about $10/lb, the 'Prime' was about $15, and the 'Aged Prime' was about $22 or so (don't quote me on prices, it was the relative difference that caught my eye!). I remember treating myself to an Aged Prime Ribeye, and it was out of this world. The 'aged' (hung) version was worth every penny.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:23 am
Banned

No it isn't too early - it's dinner time How could I possibly eat Beouf Bourignon without wine?

But... that sounds a bit rambling in itself - deserted wife? Huh? (ah well, it's ok - if it's your bedtime it's not too early for you to hit the wine )
You ate your home made beouf bourignon and didn't invite me? Mannnn I'm disappointed!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You ate your home made beouf bourignon and didn't invite me? Mannnn I'm disappointed!
You can come next time Slightly long drive however...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:39 am
Banned

You can come next time Slightly long drive however...
Heh, yeah.... just a bit
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Heh, yeah.... just a bit
Some would say my cooking is worth it...
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:04 am
Banned

Some would say my cooking is worth it...
Oh I'm sure they ALL would. The recipe alone is enough to guarantee that.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh I'm sure they ALL would. The recipe alone is enough to guarantee that.
Awww
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Mshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really niceMshisha is just really nice

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I hope you have found improvements since you first arrived!

How far outside of Portland are you? When I first came to the US, even though my job was in Palo Alto, I lived in the city of San Francisco (40 miles away) because I wanted to live in a place with better public transit, and a more liberal atmosphere. I was always under the impression that Portland is a liberal city (you won't hear much talk about religion there). The suburbs in the US are always going to be more conservative, and have poorer public transit.

Regarding supermarkets - everywhere in the country has crap supermarkets; but most affluent areas also have 'high-end' supermarkets - usually smaller chains, or even independently run (we have three 'high end' stores in our town, in addition to several Safeways, Albertsons, etc). Is your area really devoid of ANY better quality stores? Surely you have a WHOLE FOODS Market? You can criticize them on their price, but - they sure do have a great selection of produce!
Hi
Thank you for all the positive replies to my post, and sorry for my delay in getting back. I have since discovered Whole Foods (wow - but what a cost?) - and New Seasons (not too bad). plus a couple of Indian curry places which helps.
I remember Publix in Naples, FL when I was on holiday there many years ago and that is what I expected all Supermanrkets to be like - reality check??
I love the Oregon countryside but wonder if CA or FL would not have been better for us to settle. My husband lived in South California for a while as a teenager and did not like it much which is why we never moved there originally.
Anyway - no getting over missing the supermarkets from home, pubs and of course family and friends- but am trying to see good things about being over here now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.