Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Culture shocks?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by surly
I always get a little bemused when I hear the how US banks are behind those in the UK. It's never been explained.
I can use cash, credit, debit, check or even barter.
I agree! I use online banking, online bill pay, e-statements, etc. The only area where I find things more limited is if I want to buy foreign currency - but that, I believe, is understandable given the geographic circumstances (and - the fact you can get foreign currency at the first ATM you set eyes upon in your desired country).
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
... (various challenges opening accounts and getting credit)...
I think you have to consider what it would be like for an American going to the UK and doing likewise. The problem for a brit coming here is, they have no 'history'. For you in the UK, you have that history. I can't say how easy/hard it would be for a US resident to go to the UK and open a bank account, and to get credit, but it might be equally hard - we'd have to hear from a US resident over in UK!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:16 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I think you have to consider what it would be like for an American going to the UK and doing likewise. The problem for a brit coming here is, they have no 'history'. For you in the UK, you have that history. I can't say how easy/hard it would be for a US resident to go to the UK and open a bank account, and to get credit, but it might be equally hard - we'd have to hear from a US resident over in UK!
Oh absolutely agree!

Frustration was with HSBC "The global bank" as they like to publicise themselves in the UK!

Still, sorted now!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrissywissy100
Oh absolutely agree!

Frustration was with HSBC "The global bank" as they like to publicise themselves in the UK!

Still, sorted now!
By the way welcome to the SF Bay Area.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:29 am
UK>Bay Area, CA>UK

Chrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud ofChrissywissy100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by surly
By the way welcome to the SF Bay Area.
Thank you very much! Loving it!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:10 am
Just Joined

Hoodlum is an unknown quantity at this point

The not so good shockers

-Playing the national anthem before every baseball game and expecting everyone to stand up
-Overzealous patriots (scoundrels) who say love it or leave it
-Police who bark commands at people
-People afraid of drinking in public (i.e. a bottle of wine at a picnic)
-Many jobs offering little or no vacation time
-At least what seems to me to be a generally unhealthy dose of patriotism, nationalism, fascism...scary stuff
-Gun owners who actually believe the point in having guns is to ensure the government can never stray too far from the ideals of freedom (as if a bunch of hillbillies from West Virginia would actually descend upon Washington and overthrow the government with their guns)

The more pleasant shockers

-The great outdoors
-Excellent food (I truly am serious)
-Friendly warm hearted helpful people
-Finding a number of Americans who feel the same about some of the not so good aspects
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Londongirl08 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here just over three years, and I'm still comparing...

Miss Boots, Waitrose, Sainsbury's (basically all british supermarkets), PG Tips, getting on the tube, and cricket!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:27 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
The more pleasant shockers

-The great outdoors
-Excellent food (I truly am serious)
-Friendly warm hearted helpful people
-Finding a number of Americans who feel the same about some of the not so good aspects
You have to be kidding about the food... seriously.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
My OH loves the food here. As did his family.

I think it depends where you are in the US - it can vary so widely. I was in one small town grocery store - and got scared to death. But where I usually shop, OH says stuff is very bit as good as home.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by englishinfl
On this one, I must disagree (and agree with the original poster)! Maybe where you live the food is not good, but here in the Bay Area, the food is fabulous; I have found it to be so in other major metropolitan areas also. We have, on our doorstep here in the Bay Area, fabulous Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, Peruvian, Italian and ... American food. The trick to finding good food is to stay away from chain restaurants and to shop at high quality grocery stores.

If you don't find good food here, you are in the wrong place! Move!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Londongirl08 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not so much the food but the 'grocery shopping' experience that I really miss. Whole Foods is fine, and the restaurants in the Bay Area that I've been too have been exquisite. However, Safeway et al has not really excited me - flourescent-light lit aisles of processed and bland food. That's what I'm whining about really. Perhaps coming from London, I miss the buzz of the large and well-lit supermarkets (e.g. the Tesco's on Cromwell Rd was my local).
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londongirl08
It's not so much the food but the 'grocery shopping' experience that I really miss. Whole Foods is fine, and the restaurants in the Bay Area that I've been too have been exquisite. However, Safeway et al has not really excited me - flourescent-light lit aisles of processed and bland food. That's what I'm whining about really. Perhaps coming from London, I miss the buzz of the large and well-lit supermarkets (e.g. the Tesco's on Cromwell Rd was my local).
What's wrong with flourescent light? Am I missing something? I've been in grocery stores in Glasgow, and felt they were just like ones here at home.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Londongirl08
The 'run of the mill' grocery stores here are now outclassed by those in the UK, so it seems. But there is a proliferation of 'high end' stores that are a delight to visit. Whole Foods is one example; in the Bay Area we also have Andronicos, Krogers, Lunardis, Piaza, etc. In SF you have 'Tower Market' on Portola Drive, and whoever runs that store nowadays out in Stonestown. SF was never my favorite place for grocery shopping due to the parking hassles, but there are great stores to be found.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:15 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
On this one, I must disagree (and agree with the original poster)! Maybe where you live the food is not good, but here in the Bay Area, the food is fabulous; I have found it to be so in other major metropolitan areas also. We have, on our doorstep here in the Bay Area, fabulous Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Mexican, Peruvian, Italian and ... American food. The trick to finding good food is to stay away from chain restaurants and to shop at high quality grocery stores.

If you don't find good food here, you are in the wrong place! Move!
Yeah well I don't live in the same place as you, and I was commenting personally, so I don't see how you can disagree with me. It's almost impossible to compare one place to another so I'd respectfully suggest that you don't hae a clue what you're talking about when you try and analyse the restaurants in Florida while living the other side of the country, but generally I'd say the food is of a lower standard then it is at home.

I've been here 5 years mate, and I know how to avoid the chains too, but thanks for the advice, I'm sure other peope can read it.
I'd say that Publix is a pretty good grocery store, we don't buy crap food, but I was referring to restaurants and eating out, not what we have control over on the shopping list.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracym
My OH loves the food here. As did his family.

I think it depends where you are in the US - it can vary so widely. I was in one small town grocery store - and got scared to death. But where I usually shop, OH says stuff is very bit as good as home.
Yeah but.. he came from Scotland, all they have are caves of dead deer and sheep hanging up there, and you eat out round a bonfire

Yes, it depends where you are, agreed, and I was commenting personally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.