Reload this Page >

Culture shocks?

Culture shocks?

Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:47 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Culture shocks?

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Yeah but.. he came from Scotland, all they have are caves of dead deer and sheep hanging up there, and you eat out round a bonfire
now aint that the truth...reckon you can smell them as well
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoodlum
-Excellent food (I truly am serious)
You have to be kidding about the food... seriously.
Yeah well I don't live in the same place as you, and I was commenting personally, so I don't see how you can disagree with me. It's almost impossible to compare one place to another so I'd respectfully suggest that you don't hae a clue what you're talking about when you try and analyse the restaurants in Florida while living the other side of the country ...
Can't have it both ways! Hoodlum said, generally, 'Excellent food', and you said, generally, 'you have to be kidding about the food'.

Neither of you qualified your comments by location, so I was pointing out that, in major metropolitan areas, you can find excellent food. I've been here 25 years, I'm a food fanatic, and I've traveled to at least 20 states, and yes, in the South and Mid-West the food can be heavy, greasy, over-sized and lacking in variety (steaks and pork ribs seem to be the only specialties). But on the West Coast, and in the North East, the food is fabulous (and relatively inexpensive). Only in London have I found a variety and quality of food that is comparable (at maybe double the cost); God help you if you are out in the burbs - unless you can find a good Indian (Saviors of the English palate)!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:58 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You have to be kidding about the food... seriously.
If by PDX in his location he means Portland then there are some really good eating places in the Metro area and beyond.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can't have it both ways! Hoodlum said, generally, 'Excellent food', and you said, generally, 'you have to be kidding about the food'.

Neither of you qualified your comments by location, so I was pointing out that, in major metropolitan areas, you can find excellent food. I've been here 25 years, I'm a food fanatic, and I've traveled to at least 20 states, and yes, in the South and Mid-West the food can be heavy, greasy, over-sized and lacking in variety (steaks and pork ribs seem to be the only specialties). But on the West Coast, and in the North East, the food is fabulous (and relatively inexpensive). Only in London have I found a variety and quality of food that is comparable (at maybe double the cost); God help you if you are out in the burbs - unless you can find a good Indian (Saviors of the English palate)!
there are some fine dining restaurants in Houston which we frequent likewise fine dining in London and Surrey and i'm sure all over the UK/USA, i think one just has to know where to go to find them. overall the fast chain places both here and there are a no go for me. i miss the M&S/Waitrose type foods, even Wholefoods doesn't compare.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:08 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually you said you disagreed with me, and by doing so directly contradicted my personal opinion of where I eat, which is what I took up with you about.

You've been here 25 years? God help your palate. I doubt you even know what decent food is anymore.

I can find plenty of places to eat around Tampa, or maybe that isn't metropolitan enough for you?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:10 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
now aint that the truth...reckon you can smell them as well
LoL I can only smell.... fee fie foe fum.....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:11 am
Account Closed

You've been here 25 years? God help your palate. I doubt you even know what decent food is anymore.
stop it you're making me
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:17 am
Banned

stop it you're making me
LOL Oh and we wouldn't want that now, would we?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:24 am
Account Closed

LOL Oh and we wouldn't want that now, would we?
oh it's ok, i'd sooner laugh than cry
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my! My job, and my vacation desires, take me all over the world. In addition to 20+ states in the US, I've been to Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Colombia, Mexico, and many countries in Europe. I just got back from a food-oriented tour of Madrid/Seville/Segovia/Toledo, and I've done likewise to Tuscany and Rome, amongst other places.

You seem to be writing off US food as a whole based on your limited exposure. I would agree that many parts of the US leave a lot to be desired (as does much of the UK) but in my chosen area (the SF bay area), the food choices are outstanding; it's one of the main reasons I live here. I've found similar quality in New York and Boston.

So let me just say this - I agree with the poster who talks about the fabulous food in the Pacific Northwest, and can second that for the Bay Area, and other areas. Sadly it's not great everywhere ...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:47 am
Banned

Oh my! My job, and my vacation desires, take me all over the world. In addition to 20+ states in the US, I've been to Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan, Colombia, Mexico, and many countries in Europe. I just got back from a food-oriented tour of Madrid/Seville/Segovia/Toledo, and I've done likewise to Tuscany and Rome, amongst other places.

You seem to be writing off US food as a whole based on your limited exposure. I would agree that many parts of the US leave a lot to be desired (as does much of the UK) but in my chosen area (the SF bay area), the food choices are outstanding; it's one of the main reasons I live here. I've found similar quality in New York and Boston.

So let me just say this - I agree with the poster who talks about the fabulous food in the Pacific Northwest, and can second that for the Bay Area, and other areas. Sadly it's not great everywhere ...
You seem to read too much into my posts, I don't think I said anywhere that I'd tried food from all over the country, so I'm not sure why exactly you'd suggest that I was generalising? Merely making a comment, that's all.

I've eaten Indian food in India, Thai food in Thailand, French food in France, German food in Germany, Italian food in Rome, etc etc etc, yes you get the idea I'm sure. Doesn't make me a "foodie" (even though I have a pretty discerning taste), and I don't have to be one to have an opinion of the food around where I live in the US.
So you have good restaurants there that compare to London, that's good.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:20 am
Banned

oh it's ok, i'd sooner laugh than cry
Wouldn't want that either, it's why I keep you and all the others amused with my stupidity
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but.. he came from Scotland, all they have are caves of dead deer and sheep hanging up there, and you eat out round a bonfire

Yes, it depends where you are, agreed, and I was commenting personally.
PMSL

Well his mother did give me some sort of traditional Scottish cookbook - when I got to the recipe where you hung the hare for two weeks or some such, I was a teensy bit put off...
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Steerpike. Having lived here 30 years, been to all but 4 states, and lived in 9 of them, I like the NE best. However, good stores and resaurants can be found in most big cities. Good fresh local produce can be found at the farmers markets.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tracym
PMSL

Well his mother did give me some sort of traditional Scottish cookbook - when I got to the recipe where you hung the hare for two weeks or some such, I was a teensy bit put off...
LOL Yeah I know you don't hang game over here, it's pretty funny, and a natural occurance at home.
I could tell you a funny story about a mate of mine's dad who buried a brace of pheasants he'd shot for 3 weeks in the garden to give them the right taste, and then dug them up on the day just for the dinner party they were having. Apparently everyone raved over the taste of the pheasant, but needless to say he didnt reveal the secret of the recipe. lol It was a trick of his.
Now we can watch people post puke comments at the thought of it... but believe me, it's totally true.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.