Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

is crime in florida, really that bad?

is crime in florida, really that bad?

Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is crime in florida, really that bad?

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I guess it wasn't a deterrent for all the UK folk that still want to go to Florida....
They don't usually leave Disney
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:42 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it wasn't a deterrent for all the UK folk that still want to go to Florida....
Two years later John Crimite, who was 16 at the time of the murder, was sentenced to life for the killing of Garry Colley.
He also received a 15-year sentence for the attempted second-degree murder of Margaret Jagger.

Adverse publicity generated by the attacks on foreign holidaymakers in Florida caused tourist revenue to drop by 20% in 1993.

There were so many incidents the UK Foreign Office issued a specific warning to visitors - the only state in the US to warrant such advice. The guidance has since been lifted.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Two years later John Crimite, who was 16 at the time of the murder, was sentenced to life for the killing of Garry Colley.
He also received a 15-year sentence for the attempted second-degree murder of Margaret Jagger.

Adverse publicity generated by the attacks on foreign holidaymakers in Florida caused tourist revenue to drop by 20% in 1993.

There were so many incidents the UK Foreign Office issued a specific warning to visitors - the only state in the US to warrant such advice. The guidance has since been lifted.
I do remember there being some advice about not driving a car with signs showing it to be a rental, and to keep driving if someone bumped into the back of you, in response to some attacks on tourists.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by molly picon
Well, that was almost my point, but I hate to promote fear. You hear plenty of bad things about Miami. Fortunately it's not the most interesting place. And I think Brits often end up in these retirement communities in Palm Beach and Broward, and they are very, very sleepy indeed.
No, you're wrong. It's like the Wild West down here; just look at my car:

Every bloody day I have to get this shit fixed. If I didn't have an AR-15 on the front seat, to return fire on the gangbangers, muggers and SUV soccer-moms, I don't know where I'd be.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
They don't usually leave Disney
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:09 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Theres only one way to deal with it
Attached Thumbnails is crime in florida, really that bad?-ray.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Theres only one way to deal with it
I sold that gun at the weekend ...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:13 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I sold that gun at the weekend ...
Ah those were the days eh Ray
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I do remember there being some advice about not driving a car with signs showing it to be a rental, and to keep driving if someone bumped into the back of you, in response to some attacks on tourists.
That's right...the rentals firms removed the company's name stickers from the cars.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:24 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's right...the rentals firms removed the company's name stickers from the cars.
No quite right ...under the tag number it used to have the country where issued .. but for rentals it showed Leased

they changed that for the county ....nowaday it shows just sunshine state
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No quite right ...under the tag number it used to have the country where issued .. but for rentals it showed Leased

they changed that for the county ....nowaday it shows just sunshine state
I didn't know that...but I remember they removed all obvious signs that it was a rental.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:34 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Thydney
Ah those were the days eh Ray
this replaced it ...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Oh my Uncle Ray...what a big one you have...
Old Sep 27th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

cityhog will become famous soon enoughcityhog will become famous soon enough

How many is many?
It used to make headlines in those days, so it sounded like a lot. Nowadays it ain't like that anymore. Rental cars come with GPS systems, and tourists are better educated, I think. But always remember Britons can be easy targets. Even if you get lost, don't get out of your car to ask people for directions. Keep driving. Don't become a statistic.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 4:12 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by cityhog
It used to make headlines in those days, so it sounded like a lot. Nowadays it ain't like that anymore. Rental cars come with GPS systems, and tourists are better educated, I think. But always remember Britons can be easy targets. Even if you get lost, don't get out of your car to ask people for directions. Keep driving. Don't become a statistic.
Oh get a grip it's not that bad just like anywhere in the world a shite hole is a shite hole

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.