Wikiposts

Comparison

Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparison

Originally Posted by sprintblue
Well not sure about the rest of the country but here in West Yorkshire NHS is shit. I have 2 friends who both found lumps in their breats, both waited 2 weeks for their appointments to go to the hospital (via NHS) but after 2 weeks of waiting and not receiving their appointments, both decided to go private. One of them just paid out right and with in 2 weeks she had been in and had the operation and was out in recovery when she received her letter from the NHS to go in for her 1st check, approx cost of about £600-£800, the second actually had private health care for which she pays approx £30 per month for and again she was in and out in 3 weeks. So while I think the NHS is pretty crap (round my area anways) you can still go private for a reasonable cost £30 a month for a policy that covers you for most things is what about $50-$60 so you can get decent health care for a not bad price at all. However if you don't have cover (Bupa, RSA etc) already and pay for it out of your own pocket it can work out expensive.
A few of my experiences with the US health system:
1) I gave birth to my daughter in the US (we are covered through my husband's work with pretty good insurance 80/20 coverage $15 co-pay $500 deductable). After I had her I was sent home after 2 days told to take her to see her Dr for a check up at 2 weeks and me to see my Dr after 6 weeks. I was a new mum only me and my husband in the area... no midwife calling, no health visitor... no nothing... thank God that my mum was at the end of a phone. Oh and of course not to forget the $2500 plus bills we had to pay.

2) I see my Dr who sends me to Quest Diognstics for a blood test... my insurance tell me they are not paying for it and bill me $380... I write to my insurance company and have my Dr write to them arguing that the cost should be covered... insurance company agree to pay up... they pay $48 and the rest is written of in an agreement between Quest and my insurance company... Quest have to making a profit on that $48, I doubt they are doing it as an act of charity.

3) My OB-GYN tells me I have to change my birth control pill because the one she wants me to take is better more affective blah blah (I had been on the same one for 18 months without a problem). So off I go to my pharmacy ready to pay my $10 prescription co-pay to be told my insurance company won't cover it because the is no non brand eqiv... they told me the new one would now cost $50 per month.

4) During my annual prod and poke with my OB-GYN (you know the routine girls) my Dr finds a lump in my breast and wants me to have a mammogram and ultrasound. I make an appointment and told that the earliest appointment is almost a month away... I was really worried and very upset because we had a family friend who died of breast cancer at 30... I had all kinds of things going through my head I called around and managed to get an appointment at a different hospital for 2.5 weeks later. Luckly everything was fine.

My mother in law (in the US) and my mum's step sister (in the UK) both found out within days of each other that they had breast cancer... my mum's step sister started her treatment first and was also given the cold cap treatment (I think that was what is was called... it helps reduce hair loss).

Any NHS critic should experience the US system... because the grass is certainly not greener on the other side... given the option I know which I would take.

I am now expecting my second child who knows what we will end up paying

Ash
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:26 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
3) My OB-GYN tells me I have to change my birth control pill because the one she wants me to take is better more affective blah blah (I had been on the same one for 18 months without a problem).
I am now expecting my second child who knows what we will end up paying
1-800-LEE-FREE
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
1-800-LEE-FREE
1-800-LEE-FREE???

Ash
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:59 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

1-800-LEE-FREE???

Ash
a medical malpractice lawyer...........
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Who could she mean?
Not you, nimrod....
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

There's a suprise!!!
Is it? And everything you say is always on the mark? My, my I didn't know we had a perfect person in our midst.....
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well they do say that everything America get Britain gets 5 years later. Only we've been lucky with the obesity thing, that took 50 odd years to reach us.
Really? Who says that? And I hate to tell you, but the obesity problem is more of a modern problem....perhaps you could read an article on it and get back to us....
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought that only covered county hospitals, if it were private, they didn't have to take anyone in, even emergency?
AFAIK, private hospitals only have to stabilize you, then you get transferred to a county hospital, which has to take you.

(Obviously I don't mean 'you' as in you Bob - YKWIM )
Old Oct 7th 2005, 11:19 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Really? Who says that? .
I've heard that saying before too Lisa.