Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Comfort Foods?

Comfort Foods?

Old Dec 28th 2012, 8:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfort Foods?

Originally Posted by Kathryn29
My mam sent me packaged Yorkshire Pudding mix as part of my Christmas presents...yumm yumm yumm

No Cadbury's tho

Biscuits and Gravy are good US eats during cold weather!
Yes but Biscuits and gravy are a southern/Midwest thing, not so much up in the Northeast.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I made sausage rolls for Christmas - granted, using a US sausage meat so not quite the same as UK, but still very nice, and went down well with the USC-wife's relatives.

Not quite as well as the chocolate Yule logs I made too - dark chocolate and white chocolate. The dark chocolate one lasted one evening, and I only just managed to keep a slice for me!

My family are starting the next Red Cross package that they'll bring over in June for the birth of our daughter - so far, offers in Tesco and Asda have produced two jars of Branston Sandwich Pickle and the obligatory Marmite.

I've found a decent loaf of bread here now, without the gym mat material (azodicarbonamide), and that with some Branston and a decent vintage cheddar is going down well. Smith's Marketplace (part of Kroger) had a very palatable Australian vintage cheddar in before Christmas, and also stocked a decent Boar's Head Double Gloucester.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I think thats what is in 'em.
It's what gives them that chewy after taste
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:25 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cwooloff
You can buy suet at any half decent butchers or meat packing place - just ask to speak to the butcher and not the spotty teenager working the cash register.....it will come in a lump and you can stick it in the freezer and when you want some just cut off a lump and grate it...ok it does not look as pretty and clean as the stuff in box from tesco but it sures works good....

if your struggling to find a meat packing place - ask someone who you know that hunts, they most likely have a 'guy' who breaks down their animals for them....
I know some good butchers and a hunter. Good advice Thanks!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:36 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoying some good soup with the Christmas leftovers...turkey stock and all the veggies liquidised up together. Especially good now we've got some more "seasonally appropriate" weather to enjoy.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by rallybug
I made sausage rolls for Christmas - granted, using a US sausage meat so not quite the same as UK, but still very nice, and went down well with the USC-wife's relatives.

Not quite as well as the chocolate Yule logs I made too - dark chocolate and white chocolate. The dark chocolate one lasted one evening, and I only just managed to keep a slice for me!.
My wife did the sausage rolls in pastry crust, we get Bangers from HEB down in Texas, so they skinned them, then bacon wrapped sausage rolls, or as I like to call them "fat pills".

MiL did the Yule log which was awesome, US relatives loved that.

As far a comfort food, my wife's is egg and beans on toast, pretty simple, but hey its comfort.

Cheers
J
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
I know some good butchers and a hunter. Good advice Thanks!
And even if you didn't, most large grocery stores, if you asked at the meat counter, would be able to give it to you rather than just chuck it out.

We've got a large Brazilian population out our way, so it's usually easily found on sale though...right next to the other weird pieces like chicken feet :/
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:46 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And even if you didn't, most large grocery stores, if you asked at the meat counter, would be able to give it to you rather than just chuck it out.

We've got a large Brazilian population out our way, so it's usually easily found on sale though...right next to the other weird pieces like chicken feet :/
Reminds me of one of the platoon SGTs when my ex had his company command. He was from Louisiana and was rattling off all the things they ate, pork coming up on the list part by part. Ex commented on it and the SGT's reply was they ate everything from the pig except the squeal.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

diaryofalways is an unknown quantity at this point

I love to make soda farls to remind me of home. There are some great recipes on allrecipes.com
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:44 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diaryofalways
I love to make soda farls to remind me of home. There are some great recipes on allrecipes.com
If its our year to have Christmas here, I always make a trifle because that reminds me of Christmas night when we were kids. The US relatives love it, and it always gets hoovered up in one sitting - no leftovers for Boxing Day This year I also made a ginger and orange cream for the first time. Delicious, highly unhealthy, and not to my inlaws taste so plenty of leftovers for me
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

HEB sells frozen "All Natural Popovers", from East Riding, yet they are Yorkshire pasties.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:33 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
HEB sells frozen "All Natural Popovers", from East Riding, yet they are Yorkshire pasties.
Hmm, HEB are based in San Antonio and they have more in the stores there than they do here in Houston. I know they are not in the case in my local HEB (we scoured the frozen section looking for Jamaican patties recently, thinking we saw them there, but they were in Fiesta). Nevertheless I'll check in Central Market and see if they've got them there.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Hmm, HEB are based in San Antonio and they have more in the stores there than they do here in Houston. I know they are not in the case in my local HEB (we scoured the frozen section looking for Jamaican patties recently, thinking we saw them there, but they were in Fiesta). Nevertheless I'll check in Central Market and see if they've got them there.
Our local Store, Schertz, not a flagship. PM me if you need them.
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:15 am
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by SATX John
Our local Store, Schertz, not a flagship. PM me if you need them.
You're a sweetie, thanks! I'll grab them next time I go visit my brother out in Helotes, awesome side trip!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

You're a sweetie, thanks! I'll grab them next time I go visit my brother out in Helotes, awesome side trip!
Just voted best small town to raise kids in the US. Congrats.....

Check out the Brazilian cheese rolls too, awesome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.