Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Wikiposts

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Not that I've been everywhere but I think it will be hard to find something like a "night out with the lads in the UK", in the US... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, lol. Anyway Chris are you sure you're ready for this? I'm getting nervous for your culture shock now!
It's true, 'all the lads getting together' is not a cultural thing here. My husband is American and has no social life beyond what I organize for him. He's just not interested and that male camaraderie doesn't seem to exist here.

I love my 67 year old Dad's facebook posts about being 'down the pub' with his mates. Just wouldn't happen here. But maybe that's a Maine thing.

Last edited by Karrie72; Feb 25th 2013 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Stupid typing
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
It's true, 'all the lads getting together' is not a cultural thing here. My husband is American and has no social life beyond what I organize for him. He's just not interested and that male camaraderie doesn't seem to exist here.

I love my 67 year old Dad's facebook posts about being 'down the pub' with his mates. Just wouldn't happen here. But maybe that's a Maine thing.
I don't think it's a Maine thing, seems to be the same everywhere we have lived in the US, closest thing to hanging out with the guys here, or a guys night out, could be going to the gym, sporting events etc. Even when we were stationed in the UK, (US) hubby never really socialized with the guys he worked with, outside of work. Maybe it's just not something most US guys do, wherever in the US they live
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by slummymummy
Not that I've been everywhere but I think it will be hard to find something like a "night out with the lads in the UK", in the US... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, lol. Anyway Chris are you sure you're ready for this? I'm getting nervous for your culture shock now!
I have spent quite a bit of time over there, so my hopes aren't high. I think it's also massively influenced by there not really being town/ city centres in a lot of America any more.

I just thought that asking some British people might help me find something and be on the same wave length about a comparable layout in some places.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 1:42 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris197337
I have spent quite a bit of time over there, so my hopes aren't high. I think it's also massively influenced by there not really being town/ city centres in a lot of America any more.

I just thought that asking some British people might help me find something and be on the same wave length about a comparable layout in some places.
Many towns round my way do have town centres and actively encourage people to shop/eat/hang out there.

However, the bars are probably not what you are looking for. It'll usually be sport on the TV with piped or live music. On observation, as a gigging musician, you see just as many people in their 40s out as younger ones, as they are the ones who have a) enough money to go out and b) no young children at home.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the Village/ Lower East Side, Ave A, B, C, heaving with bars, throngs of crowds, loud music, alcohol, etc etc, Hoboken blah blah